• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa...pumped for this Dion! Are they gonna live stream it? You're gonna do well...no matter how things finish out.

Thank you! It's very exciting and a bit scary, but I must train hard now. No live stream, but there is a "champion" belt to be won. Let's see how it goes!!!

So I suffer from anxiety in general, but it's not crippling, and not all the time, but I'd say it's there. I clearly DO enjoy cycling and especially cycling with a group.

But I get MASSIVE anxiety before a ride. That's why I like early rides, you get up, drink coffee, eat oatmeal, and go, not too much time to think. But recently before rides I just feel anxious.

However, it goes away almost immediately once I am riding and I've not yet given up on any ride. Plus after I am worked out so there's no anxiety either.

Weird eh?

Not weird at all. Not. At. All.

Competitive people in sports are an interesting bunch...and I've got this feeling, you're competitive. Anxiety is fear of the unknown and uncontrollable when doing extreme type activities, especially with a competitive underlayment. Not matter how muted, even pedaling with buds can be a pretty stressful thing...

You're normal Jordan. Normal for this group, at least.

So I suffer from anxiety in general, but it's not crippling, and not all the time, but I'd say it's there. I clearly DO enjoy cycling and especially cycling with a group.

But I get MASSIVE anxiety before a ride. That's why I like early rides, you get up, drink coffee, eat oatmeal, and go, not too much time to think. But recently before rides I just feel anxious.

However, it goes away almost immediately once I am riding and I've not yet given up on any ride. Plus after I am worked out so there's no anxiety either.

Weird eh?
Those butterfly's and anxiety that you feel? That's your body prepping for the physical activity (often competitions) that you're about to do. If you weren't getting it you wouldn't do it as well.

Years ago I suppressed those butterfly's and anxious moments and had my worst meet of the season, I realized that it was a by-product of a natural process of my body preparing for competition.

Thank you! It's very exciting and a bit scary, but I must train hard now. No live stream, but there is a "champion" belt to be won. Let's see how it goes!!!
Enjoy the heck out of it!

I've missed my sparring days for years, but I know that my reflexes are not what they were when I was younger when I watched the punch coming in and only moved out of the way at the last moment. If I tried that at my age I'd get my bell rung often. :laughing

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I find the "fitter" i feel the less anxiety I feel because I know I'll "make it".

Also when I started I'd be toast for the day after, need a nap and basically do NOTHING for the evening, now I'm ok after a 30 min nap to keep doing stuff. Granted 20 miles is a lot easier than 35 so it depends.

Keep at it...and wax the dudes you ride with every once in awhile if you're able...that'll give you more confidence (and thus, less stress) when you're having an off day. IME. It's a pretty good support group here Jordan!

Berto, I didn't see you among the race results for the final race. Still rehabilitating?

My friends are all fitter and faster than I am but I always make it up the hill eventually :)

It's just embarrassing because I'm also like a decade plus younger than some of my riding pals.

Enjoy the heck out of it!

I've missed my sparring days for years, but I know that my reflexes are not what they were when I was younger when I watched the punch coming in and only moved out of the way at the last moment. If I tried that at my age I'd get my bell rung often. :laughing

My strength is throwing dudes - picking them up and slamming them. It's what I did when I was a kid, and still love it now. Stand up grappling is my favorite thing ever when it comes to karate. It's why I like inside boxing. The only issue is getting in there to do the damage...

I talked to the guys at the gym and we're actually going to put together a training camp for me. Crazy, but it's something I need to do before I truly age out.

I'm 47 numerically, but everybody thinks I'm in my early 30's, and the people I train with say I'm a lot fitter than most guys my age, so I assume my physical age is much younger. I figure I'm staring at a ticking clock, so may as well get in my licks while I can!

My supplement game - I swear - has made a huge difference in my wellness. I honestly don't understand why people don't hack their health more.

I've been punching the Makiwara more these days, so I feel like I'm in an 80's martial arts movie haha.

Your hand bones must be massive!

Back when I was still climbing and boxing the bones in my hand were massive, their only about half the diameter that they were. I knew that if I hit somebody, back then, I would not be risking a broken hand, especially with the years of training assuring that the bones were always lined up.

Berto, I didn't see you among the race results for the final race. Still rehabilitating?

After breaking my hand in April, I was pretty much out of the points and my 17+ R6 wasn't working right. Long story, but we found the right side GP Suspension cartridge was totally destroyed internally and the bike's never been down. It was traced down to the forks being one of our demo set that I'd been running the whole time on the bike and a previous user of them crashed them and never told us. Moral of the story: Don't ever buy and manage a suspension manufacturer...I also didn't feel the spark this year either. So I watched.

About a week and a half ago I felt something light up inside, though. Juking with another driver in traffic, I felt it. It's still there. I think I'm in for next season...and we've got a track you're gonna wanna come watch on our schedule! Remind me to put you on the list.

My friends are all fitter and faster than I am but I always make it up the hill eventually :)

It's just embarrassing because I'm also like a decade plus younger than some of my riding pals.

It took me a long time to win my first road race in the expert ranks. Lots of podiums, but that top spot was elusive and tough. One race weekend at Sonoma, a friend of mine beat me out for the win and I totally lost it. It's a great story with a blood soaked hand walking around the pits looking for a guy I had issues with. His face when I found him and lit in was of pure confusion.

So yeah, it's frustrating as hell. But, be stubborn man. I'm guessing your riding group has more experience. That's huge in your game...you'll get there I think. Shoot, if you can pedal like you can throw some posts in the KSP, you'll get there quick. Harness that feistiness! One more thing: work out like you're going to ride. If you can work hard as fuck for 20 minutes, you can pedal hard as fuck for 20 minutes with your group. Who cares if you get dropped later; at least you led for a time period. I like the idea of showing you can lead...even if for a brief period.

You're our horse. We've got some big bets on you next ride.

Last edited:
After breaking my hand in April, I was pretty much out of the points and my 17+ R6 wasn't working right. Long story, but we found the right side GP Suspension cartridge was totally destroyed internally and the bike's never been down. It was traced down to the forks being one of our demo set that I'd been running the whole time on the bike and a previous user of them crashed them and never told us. Moral of the story: Don't ever buy and manage a suspension manufacturer...I also didn't feel the spark this year either. So I watched.

About a week and a half ago I felt something light up inside, though. Juking with another driver in traffic, I felt it. It's still there. I think I'm in for next season...and we've got a track you're gonna wanna come watch on our schedule! Remind me to put you on the list.
Wow, that sucks to have something hidden like that, I'm sure it was driving you crazy.

Good luck getting back your mojo next year, I still get twinges to compete, but my knee is shot and keeps me from doing track events. I've been coaching for years now so my athletes get that passion for competition.

Weird eh?

100% normal.

I have realized that I have about a 10-20 minute window to start an activity I want to do. Outside that window I will overthink and talk myself out of doing something that I know makes me happy. Riding, surfing, lifting, outrigger, anything I like I almost have to force myself to get started. It feels crazy when you think about it but it's 100% a thing. Corny motivational YouTube Videos help motivate me in the pre-activity time window.

Thanks a lot for the support.

ALso, riding in the Bay Area makes it hard to plan CLOTHING. I'd rather be a little too warm than too cold so I err on that side, but sometimes when we start the ride it's 13 C and then it's like 20 when it's over. Or it's sunny and size near my house and frickin' FREEZING on the bridge.

Also, I admit, I am terrified of the bridge during high winds. I am internally freaking out the entire time. I feel like the first time I rode my FZ6 across the Bay Bridge at 6:00 a.m.

---

So after 2 years of lockdown and working out from home with a trainer literally every Friday I can see it has made a massive body difference. I try and work out alone on other days but it's been inconsistent. Just now I duplicated my Friday workout so I now have 2-3 days of recovery. Hopefully twice a week will make the big difference, plus getting back into the cycling/cardio.

It's awesome when you can listen to an hour meeting and work out at the same time. just an example of how I clearly "have the time".

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the support.

ALso, riding in the Bay Area makes it hard to plan CLOTHING. I'd rather be a little too warm than too cold so I err on that side, but sometimes when we start the ride it's 13 C and then it's like 20 when it's over. Or it's sunny and size near my house and frickin' FREEZING on the bridge.

Also, I admit, I am terrified of the bridge during high winds. I am internally freaking out the entire time. I feel like the first time I rode my FZ6 across the Bay Bridge at 6:00 a.m.

---

So after 2 years of lockdown and working out from home with a trainer literally every Friday I can see it has made a massive body difference. I try and work out alone on other days but it's been inconsistent. Just now I duplicated my Friday workout so I now have 2-3 days of recovery. Hopefully twice a week will make the big difference, plus getting back into the cycling/cardio.

It's awesome when you can listen to an hour meeting and work out at the same time. just an example of how I clearly "have the time".

I feel you on that Bay Area weather lol. Since I commute early in the morning, I tend to bundle up and wear more layers to offset the temperature then I'm in the office for a bit then next thing you know its warm outside and I'm profusely sweating. Now I can't stuff my layers in my backpack bc it's too much clothing :rofl I've just accepted the fact that I shall sweat and there's nothing I can do about it at this point unless I wanna be cold lol.

100% normal.

I have realized that I have about a 10-20 minute window to start an activity I want to do. Outside that window I will overthink and talk myself out of doing something that I know makes me happy. Riding, surfing, lifting, outrigger, anything I like I almost have to force myself to get started. It feels crazy when you think about it but it's 100% a thing. Corny motivational YouTube Videos help motivate me in the pre-activity time window.

I feel the same way! Usually I would get started on a task and give myself 5-10 min to get the ball rolling. If I still feel uninterested after the 10min, I will do something else but more often than not I end up following through with the task and feeling more productive about myself.

I'm finding regular exercise and proper sleep is reducing my anxiety overall.

This past Sunday, I did my ride. Then Tuesday, a full body workout, then 2 days recovery, then today another Full Body workout. I'll cycle Sunday.

Get out and shake it 3x week. 🚴‍♂️ Moderate exercise with some intense intervals several times a week (with Doctors approval, of course). Your fitness will improve!

Keep it fun and enjoyable. But make a WEEKLY ROUTINE. Each day of the week has long, short, or rest from exercise. The routine will help give you structure and make it easier to schedule. 👍

Gonna hitch a ride with my friend who has a 2 bicycle rack and go to the the Mill Valley High School parking lot and do a nice 2.5 hour ride tomorrow morning. No reason not to go :)

---
We just did like 15 miles mostly uphill. I should have pushed harder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back