• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my best ride of the year a week after a 3 week break where I was on vacation. Did a 16.5 mph average despite 5 full stops (fitbit waits 15 seconds after full stop before pausing) on my ride. My goal is to get it up to 17.5 this year.

I learned something that the serious riders on here would already know, it takes less energy to maintain a speed than to get there, I started looking at my speed more (on watch) and realized that I could increase my speed and hold it with a doable amount of energy output.

Where can I buy 55 and 60 lb kettlebells that aren't $150+ each?

I now have 25-35-45-50 and the 50 was $50.00...above that on Amazon the prices literally triple.

My adjustable dumbell weights only go to 52.5 so I can't use a kettlebell handle adapter to any benefit.

I'm working the weights and pullup bar decently hard twice a week now and I feel much better than before. More energy, clearer head, zero back pains.

need to get back on the bicycle

You try CL or FB marketplace Jordan? $1/ lb is about right for used...

My big fitness news is that i'm rocking a Garmin Forerunner 255 music. I'm pretty stoked on it. It's a plethora of self indulgent personal data. :laughing I was lucky enough to get selected for the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon again. The friend I did the Santa Cruz 70.3 Ironman with was also selected. I'm looking forward to having a buddy on the boat ride out. I'm trying to follow the training suggestions and workouts that come with my Garmin. I can share as much as there is interest for. Its soooo cool to have swim data now. I really want to smash my age group this year. A podum is a VERY lofty goal for an age group as competitive as mine but, a top 10% finish feels like it might be attainable.

This is one of my all time favorite threads. It's personal and positive and just lovely to read. (It is loading kinda slow so maybe it needs a 2023 reboot)

I have said it before but it's worth mention again, if your out there reading thins and on the fence about signing up for an event, ANY event, 5k 10k, tough mudder, a fun run, anything, DO IT. It's been nothing but a positive experience for me.

Well damn I was just thinking about resurrecting the thread myself.

So I have been off and on at the gym and am paying for it at the scale as I am unable to out train my horrible diet.:laughing

Normally when the scale goes up my knees start to hurt when I do anything on the treadmill. But for some reason lately I have been feeling good on the treadmill and the knees aren't hurting like normal. IDK but could be that I am doing more intervals and not trying to jam it all in one long jog session but hey it's working and my calories burned is going up pretty good as I keep increasing the jog time intervals.

I am glad to see that everyone is doing okay and glad to hear you are killing those triathlons Mike and setting some serious goals.

Also HH I know that in my area CL has turned into a let's try and get better than new prices for my trashed shit. I am constantly looking for tool deals to fill my workshop but people only post rusted ass shit that is 10 years old and want todays new tool prices for it. Everyone seems to think their broke ass gear is worth used car prices.

My big fitness news is that i'm rocking a Garmin Forerunner 255 music. I'm pretty stoked on it. It's a plethora of self indulgent personal data. :laughing I was lucky enough to get selected for the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon again. The friend I did the Santa Cruz 70.3 Ironman with was also selected. I'm looking forward to having a buddy on the boat ride out. I'm trying to follow the training suggestions and workouts that come with my Garmin. I can share as much as there is interest for. Its soooo cool to have swim data now. I really want to smash my age group this year. A podum is a VERY lofty goal for an age group as competitive as mine but, a top 10% finish feels like it might be attainable.

This is one of my all time favorite threads. It's personal and positive and just lovely to read. (It is loading kinda slow so maybe it needs a 2023 reboot)

I have said it before but it's worth mention again, if your out there reading thins and on the fence about signing up for an event, ANY event, 5k 10k, tough mudder, a fun run, anything, DO IT. It's been nothing but a positive experience for me.

Re: Garmin programs on the Watch.

The wife went through a whole fiasco with Garmin Coach when training for a half marathon. She was doing the 14wk program with "Coach Greg" IIRC. Unfortunately, it was buggy. She missed the first 3wks because of COVID. Then every single run after that (4x/wk) was an "Easy Run" of varying distances. The program never included tempo runs or intervals - even though she was nailing the easy runs. There is some corroborating info on the internet that specifically Coach Greg's Half Program is bugged :laughing. At week 10, she abandoned Coach Greg and switched to a program outside of Garmin. Thankfully she was still able to build enough fitness to smash her goal time. She ran a 1:58:23 and is stoked. It sounds like you are doing the daily workouts and not one of the Coaching Programs. Just FYI.

I've found that Garmin's workout tracking is fucking HORRIFIC.

Kind of a bummer that there's no good way to aggregate or sync everything from separate apps.

Re: Garmin programs on the Watch.

The wife went through a whole fiasco with Garmin Coach when training for a half marathon. She was doing the 14wk program with "Coach Greg" IIRC. Unfortunately, it was buggy. She missed the first 3wks because of COVID. Then every single run after that (4x/wk) was an "Easy Run" of varying distances. The program never included tempo runs or intervals - even though she was nailing the easy runs. There is some corroborating info on the internet that specifically Coach Greg's Half Program is bugged :laughing. At week 10, she abandoned Coach Greg and switched to a program outside of Garmin. Thankfully she was still able to build enough fitness to smash her goal time. She ran a 1:58:23 and is stoked. It sounds like you are doing the daily workouts and not one of the Coaching Programs. Just FYI.

I haven't gone all in on one of their "coached" programs yet. Last night was my first run trying to follow one of their suggested workouts. I was "too fast" for half of it and did about twice the suggested distance. 6 miles at their "threshold" pace feels comfortable these days. So yeah, I'm taking it all with a grain of salt but its fun to play with. :thumbup

Attachments

• gary1.jpg
    gary1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 16
  • gary 2.jpg
    gary 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 17
  • gary 3.jpg
    gary 3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 16

Kind of a bummer that there's no good way to aggregate or sync everything from separate apps.

hmmm, mine syncs up perfectly with my strava across the board with all my different activity types. Maybe you need a software update? Seriously I'm DUMB with tech and my 255 has been a pleasure.

I haven't gone all in on one of their "coached" programs yet. Last night was my first run trying to follow one of their suggested workouts. I was "too fast" for half of it and did about twice the suggested distance. 6 miles at their "threshold" pace feels comfortable these days. So yeah, I'm taking it all with a grain of salt but its fun to play with. :thumbup

Maybe the max HR set in Garmin is too low. In the app, that's under More -> Garmin Devices -> (Select Device) -> User Settings -> Heart Rate Zones.

Maybe the max HR set in Garmin is too low. In the app, that's under More -> Garmin Devices -> (Select Device) -> User Settings -> Heart Rate Zones.

So I'm checking this out now, my max heart rate is set at 178. I have seen that number on other websites for a 44 yr old male. My options For zones are

BPM

% Max. HR

%HRR

%LTHR

Right now I'm on % max heart rate.

My resting HR in 54 BPM over a 7 day average.

Resting Hr (54 BPM current avg.)

FWIW garmin says my fitness age is 40 :)

They definitely changed some of the strategies in the Training Effect module. I think it may have been a bit cartoonish before. It's not ultra conservative and the anaerobic doesn't seem to work anymore. Not to matter I guess...HR works fine.

For weight workouts the HR module charts allow overlays on actual field training and that seems more realistic than the training effect. YMMV.

Im 37 and my max HR is 12bpm higher than predicted. The difference is enough to shift my zones a noticeable amount.

hmmm, mine syncs up perfectly with my strava across the board with all my different activity types. Maybe you need a software update? Seriously I'm DUMB with tech and my 255 has been a pleasure.

They definitely changed some of the strategies in the Training Effect module. I think it may have been a bit cartoonish before. It's not ultra conservative and the anaerobic doesn't seem to work anymore. Not to matter I guess...HR works fine.

For weight workouts the HR module charts allow overlays on actual field training and that seems more realistic than the training effect. YMMV.

Sorry, more specifically I meant strength training / weight lifting. Like, literally Exercise x Weight x Reps etc.

Oh yeah, dodgy as fuck for that. Totally agree. It takes so much time, it's useless.

Just played some nice evening tennis between the rains. My buddy and I really improved since taking lessons last year, pretty annoyed he got into a class and I didn't starting in jan but it's very competitive.

It's such a fun way to get in some cardio and competitiveness.

Plus I cycle there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back