• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
you go!!!!!!!

Down 47 now. :banana

I am keeping at it. Added a little bit of cycling to my walking. Currently training for American Supercamp so adding lunges, squats, and some crunches to my repertoire.

Step back lunges R? I hate and yet, love squats. On abs: I think most people have far weaker lower abs that upper abs and those lower abs are the ones that can cause injury when weak. I only learned this about 10 years ago, which is well into my knowledge phase.

I never shy away from the leg workouts but I find them much harder and more draining than non-leg exercises. Yesterday my trainer made me do reverse lunges with a 45 lb weight in each hand, I am sore today.

Step back lunges R? I hate and yet, love squats. On abs: I think most people have far weaker lower abs that upper abs and those lower abs are the ones that can cause injury when weak. I only learned this about 10 years ago, which is well into my knowledge phase.

Interesting. Looks like leg lifts are a good way to work the lower ab muscles. I have been doing some flutter kicks as well.

I have been doing normal lunges but will try the stepback version and see if that makes the feeling a little more spicy. Supercamp is murder on the hip flexors, and I am aiming to get mine strong so I get the most out of the camp. It's an endurance game to last two days there and not lose steam.

Thanks for the recs, Berto!

Leg lifts are gonna help alot with da flexors and agree with Jordan on step back lunges. They save the knees, IME.

Here's the lower ab focus I've been doing for the last 8 months or so. It's been highly beneficial to hit areas I wasn't able to before:

[YouTube]j22ncHwoRkU[/YouTube]

b9d61d11-4a14-44d1-8ade-0ef63fbcde76_text.gif

Those of you who know me know that my son ran track and I became a track coach 8 years ago since I was always at track practice and enjoyed coaching and worked hard at becoming the best I could.

After 11 seasons of track, my son signed with USC and they will cover all costs of him going to school there. It was always his first choice and he is good enough that they wanted him to be part of their legendary team.

‘SC alum here. Fantastic news. When I was a student I witnessed ‘SC’s 400 meter relay team set a new WR. James Sanford and younger brother Michael were on that team. James was world class 100 meter guy. Michael ate in the same dorm cafeteria as me. Never saw him eat healthy food :O

Cost for one year is 80-90k? Is that right?

Last edited:
‘SC alum here. Fantastic news. When I was a student I witnessed ‘SC’s 400 meter relay team set a new WR. James Sanford and younger brother Michael were on that team. James was world class 100 meter guy. Michael ate in the same dorm cafeteria as me. Never saw him eat healthy food :O

Cost for one year is 80-90k? Is that right?
I think the estimate is at $92k-93k, he will be on the 4x100m relay and likely the 4x400m relay in addition to his events.

The support of fellow alumni from SC grads is remarkable, he's in the business school. I told him to utilize everything they offer, it's extensive!

I think things have changed since your days, they have a nutritionist to give every athlete a comprehensive list of what to eat for maximum performance. They don't even let them take their own vitamins.

Coach Quincy Watts is an outstanding human being, in addition to being a great coach and athlete.

Just finally got back on a bike even if it wasn't mine I wanted ton try my roommate's fancy new-used Trek mountain bike. I never used electric shifting before it's amazing. Also has electronically actuated hydraulic seat height adjustment. I just left it since I wasn't actually mountain biking.

I own Shimano SPD for my e-bike so I just used my e-bike shoes, was great.

still not riding but I am going to the gym @ 6 days per week. Feeling much better and compliments abound. What a pain in the ass however to put in all of that work.

I think the estimate is at $92k-93k, he will be on the 4x100m relay and likely the 4x400m relay in addition to his events.

The support of fellow alumni from SC grads is remarkable, he's in the business school. I told him to utilize everything they offer, it's extensive!

I think things have changed since your days, they have a nutritionist to give every athlete a comprehensive list of what to eat for maximum performance. They don't even let them take their own vitamins.

Coach Quincy Watts is an outstanding human being, in addition to being a great coach and athlete.

Would love to read the “comprehensive list.” Without revealing secrets, can you give us some hints from 50,000 feet?

Back to James Sanford. He was world class 100 m. Also Billy Green, world class 400 m. Both got screwed bc of 1980 Olympic boycott. Thanks, Jimmy.

PS - I read Eric Heiden’s book long time ago. Don’t recall his diet but I remember he wrote the only supplement he took was a multi-vitamin. I believe his parents were athletes, could be wrong, hence solid DNA.

Last edited:
Would love to read the “comprehensive list.” Without revealing secrets, can you give us some hints from 50,000 feet?

Back to James Sanford. He was world class 100 m. Also Billy Green, world class 400 m. Both got screwed bc of 1980 Olympic boycott. Thanks, Jimmy.

PS - I read Eric Heiden’s book long time ago. Don’t recall his diet but I remember he wrote the only supplement he took was a multi-vitamin. I believe his parents were athletes, could be wrong, hence solid DNA.
I only saw the list in a presentation, but the amounts of protein and other food groups was precise, they were broken down into 6 smaller meals, and various protein and other additions around practice time for glucose replacement and beet juice as a pre-workout. Not a single gram of caffeine or taurine in what they take. Everything was natural ingredients, no power bars or other complex carbohydrates for energy, usually fruit and derivatives like apple sauce.

They are very careful to ensure that no extra compounds get into their diet, they don't want any risk of DQ from any substance in their bodies.

Last edited:
Got back on his bike again today, started with the same ride but cut right the ocean and did the moderate uphill back to Geary and then back for many blocks until I cut back into the GG park. 12ish miles this time. I am amazed, to be honest, that I my cardio was as ok as it was. And that I was able to go two days in a row. I love a 10-12 mile ride, I realize peer pressure was making me do 35-50 mile rides that I hated.

Roommate is gonna give me his SPD pedals for my road and I'll switch back to mine though may borrow his for trails. I seriously feel a natural "high" these past two days after an hours moderate cardio. Psychologically I feel better too.

I only saw the list in a presentation, but the amounts of protein and other food groups was precise, they were broken down into 6 smaller meals, and various protein and other additions around practice time for glucose replacement and beet juice as a pre-workout. Not a single gram of caffeine or taurine in what they take. Everything was natural ingredients, no power bars or other complex carbohydrates for energy, usually fruit and derivatives like apple sauce.

They are very careful to ensure that no extra compounds get into their diet, they don't want any risk of DQ from any substance in their bodies.

Good intel. Thanks!

Got back on his bike again today, started with the same ride but cut right the ocean and did the moderate uphill back to Geary and then back for many blocks until I cut back into the GG park. 12ish miles this time. I am amazed, to be honest, that I my cardio was as ok as it was. And that I was able to go two days in a row. I love a 10-12 mile ride, I realize peer pressure was making me do 35-50 mile rides that I hated.

Roommate is gonna give me his SPD pedals for my road and I'll switch back to mine though may borrow his for trails. I seriously feel a natural "high" these past two days after an hours moderate cardio. Psychologically I feel better too.
Glad you're back at it!

I'm doing 4 days a week ride, 10 miles, I like the 38-40 minute ride (with stops at traffic lights), it's not too impactful to my day as a 3-5 hour committment would be. I've found that listening to an audio book is a good distraction to make it seem shorter. Most of that time is through the park and off road trail, I don't listen to it for the first mile where I want to hear cars coming up behind me.

Do you have a mirror on your helmet? I started using one several weeks ago, it made my ride much safer as I can monitor what's coming up behind me much better. It took awhile to get used to it, but now that I've sorted it out I'm very glad to have it.

Yeah I have a mirror on my e-bike and I miss it on road bikes so I use a Tri-eye sunglasses with a built in rear view mirror.

ViewSportPhotochromatic-Left.gif

It works

still not riding but I am going to the gym @ 6 days per week. Feeling much better and compliments abound. What a pain in the ass however to put in all of that work.

i was in SF last week and walked to work a few days. i loved getting my exercise in before my work day even started.

i do wish there was a gym closer to my home, though, as the weights and equipment would be nice to mix things up.

You can accomplish a lot with resistance bands.
During the pandemic, I put some screw eye's into my son's wall, 2 high and about shoulder width and 2 low. He was able to stay fit and strong with his selection of resistance bands, sometimes hooking all 4 on each side.
I spent a bunch of time with my heavy bag on a stand, you can get in a really good workout on a heavy bag, plus it has a practical application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back