• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was supposed to be a challenge? :laughing

I haven't self timed a mile (or ran one) in a long time. Guarantee you're currently faster than me.

You gonna let an old man training in the snow beat ya?

maybe....

BelatedAggressiveChameleon-small.gif

For real my biggest problem with running is my fragile ankles. I'm willing to make an effort but I have doubts they will hold up. I am not the Gazelle body type people who usually do well long distance.

signed up for a nutrition challenge. It seems like it's going to be a low calorie and intermittent fasting type. I chose a noon-8pm window along with one prolonged day of fasting a week that is 18-24hrs.

I asked if I could have coffee in the morning and its a no go. So my black coffee is sitting here getting cold and I cant have it until noon :/

Solid workout this morning to start the week off.

Had fun at "Goat Yoga" this weekend, too lol

How come there are so few pictures posted to show progress?

Or did Beau scare everybody off with his posts that very few of us (especially us older folks) can't even come close to? :laughing

I don't want to look like that, no disrespect towards Beau, you are an impressive specimen with how far you've pushed your body, it's just not in the direction I want to go. I want to get the sharp definition back into my arms and to take the blanket off of the six-pack that has been there for decades but covered up over the last 15 years.

Are you asking for shirtless bathroom selfies Brett?
Just curious why so few pictures since that is a good indicator of progress.

More of an observation than request.

Also, with the brain-trust on here, others could see where we're lacking and give suggestions. I know that most people have favorite machines, lifts, muscle groups, etc and we often don't fill out the full spectrum of our muscle groups. It's always good to get a second pair of eye's catching what we're looking at and not seeing.

Last edited:
Just curious why so few pictures since that is a good indicator of progress.

More of an observation than request.

Look I have an I phone....

Attachments

• 9A602E3E-A46A-468B-B823-B2FB39AB43EA.jpg
    9A602E3E-A46A-468B-B823-B2FB39AB43EA.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 69
is that just the angle or do you have really long arms?

Looking good mike!

In other news, I went out with the Outrigger Santa Cruz folks this Sunday. I think I'm hooked. 6 people getting a boat in sync and digging in feels amazing. Being surrounded by kind and supportive folks who want to help you learn is also a lot of fun. Do recommend.

How come there are so few pictures posted to show progress?

Or did Beau scare everybody off with his posts that very few of us (especially us older folks) can't even come close to? :laughing

I don't want to look like that, no disrespect towards Beau, you are an impressive specimen with how far you've pushed your body, it's just not in the direction I want to go. I want to get the sharp definition back into my arms and to take the blanket off of the six-pack that has been there for decades but covered up over the last 15 years.

Because I'm not happy with my progress yet.

I made it out yesterday and have taken inspiration from Beau and put a big red X on the calendar on days I don't work out.

I'm getting there.

No disrespect taken, I'm honored.

With that said, what you want is fully realistic and can be achieved by simple diet and cardio. Start by figuring your basal metabolic rate then eat a little fewer calories that that number. As you introduce cardio (minimum of 20 minutes a day) your BMR will go up so you can eat a little more. Stay away from processed grains and sugar, eat whole grains and protein rich foods- combined with plenty of leafy greens. I guarantee you will see and feel results within the first two weeks.

Because I'm not happy with my progress yet.

I made it out yesterday and have taken inspiration from Beau and put a big red X on the calendar on days I don't work out.

I'm getting there.

I had four X's last month and have one already this month. They really do serve me as motivators.

Last edited:

With that said, what you want is fully realistic and can be achieved by simple diet and cardio. Start by figuring your basal metabolic rate then eat a little fewer calories that that number. As you introduce cardio (minimum of 20 minutes a day) your BMR will go up so you can eat a little more. Stay away from processed grains and sugar, eat whole grains and protein rich foods- combined with plenty of leafy greens. I guarantee you will see and feel results within the first two weeks.

I had four X's last month and have one already this month. They really do serve me as motivators.

This is excellent advice

Thanks Beau, great advice! :thumbup

I know what you're saying, but it never hurts to get reminded of it.

My biggest fault is that I love to eat and I don't have the metabolism of my first 30+ years where I could eat a dozen (filled) large doughnuts in a sitting and have absolutely zero weight gain and stay at 8% body fat. :laughing

I do 20 minutes of cardio 5 days a week at the gym (3 weeks down on getting back into it) and do 34 sets of 18 in under 30 minutes by hitting different muscle groups so that I'm lifting on another while the last several are recovering. This also keeps my heart rate higher than if I was taking long breaks in between sets.

signed up for a nutrition challenge. It seems like it's going to be a low calorie and intermittent fasting type. I chose a noon-8pm window along with one prolonged day of fasting a week that is 18-24hrs.

I asked if I could have coffee in the morning and its a no go. So my black coffee is sitting here getting cold and I cant have it until noon :/

I’m signing up for Factor75. Also getting back to joining a proper gym. Target: be ripped for Hawaii in January.

^ das a good motivator Pete. It Should keep you from going off the rails over the holidays too.

You're looking great Mike, seriously.

Thanks Beau. I think you would fucking love outrigger BTW. I got to feel a pretty unique vibe when the boat was moving proper.

Also, if yall got any good Ju-Ju floating around, I really want to get picked for the Alcatraz Tri. I told My 8 yr of boy about it the other day and he got all wide eyed and asked me if he could be on the boat you start the race from with me. :love It's so rad when they think your a bad ass..

I don't post pics because I am not really at a point where I should be posting anything don't really want to put that image in people's minds yet. I need to commit to a diet change but haven't gotten there yet. I have made some positive progress I have cut out soda except for maybe once a week if we go out to eat. Increased my water intake and am working on decreasing portion size. Taking small steps and working on making them sustainable at the moment is where I am currently.

Reading this thread makes it easier and seeing everyone doing well motivates me. I am pretty good about getting to the gym but with a family and the obligations that entails I am doing pretty good at getting to the gym a minimum of 3 nights a week and most weeks I am hitting my goal of 4 nights for 2 hours each night.

I’m signing up for Factor75. Also getting back to joining a proper gym. Target: be ripped for Hawaii in January.

I THINK i tried that one? I dont remember if that was keto friendly? It was......ok :p Good luck! :)

on pics. while I like you guys, this is still BARF. I dont even post before or after pics on my FB or IG :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back