• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Time to get Fit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss Tri-Tip so much.

Have it for thanks giving instead of turkey maybe? Moderation and special occasion foods are good things IMHO. (I had 1/2 a small blizzard with my kid at DQ yesterday!) As good as it is to be fit, you might get hit by a bus tomorrow, enjoy your life too.

Surfed 2.5 hrs yesterday

Dinner was a bowl of roasted broccoli, a sweet potato and 1
kombuch-a-rita

kombuch-a-rita =
1 shot Cazadores blanco tequila
1/2 shot of triple sec
Juice from 1 lime
5 ice cubes
Fill a highball glass with your favorite Kombucha
(I prefer Synergy brand Trilogy flavor)
Stir and enjoy.

I slept well and happy.

Last edited:
What is your goal with overhead squats? How beneficial are they?

To be swole of course!

Been slacking all last week. Im GOING to the gym today! Havent been since last Wednesday :( had a cold, then we celebrated hubby's birthday and Niner football, so crappy food made me lazy. Not today though

Im going, Im going, Im going!

Last edited:
Decided on a gym. Using Anytime Fitness - the one by my work is small, but quiet, and has everything I need. And the best part is, I can wander into ANY Anytime, anywhere, with my key, so I'm not tied to any particular location.

So, today was leg day at the new gym (since legs were where my little fitness center was really falling short)

To be swole of course!

I can't do overhead squats - requires a bit more ROM for the ankle than I have in my bad one :(

Very first time I did it I fell backwards on my ass :laughing now Im getting better. Takes a lot more core and that is probably my weakest area.

Im crazy flexible when it comes to squats. like my butt ALMOST touches my heels.

Started this program this week. My busy day is Thursday so I've shifted everything one day to the left to make my rest day on Thursday, and the long run on Fridays. The thing is at the bottom by week.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-1-half-marathon/

I'm probably good enough cardio wise to use the full marathon program, but I haven't run in quite some time, so I want to ease everything back into it. Slow progress beats hurting myself.

I did not time it, but I did a three mile run just now. Tomorrow is a rest day, and Friday should be a four mile run, with each week getting (mostly) longer. Twelve week program in total.

To be swole of course!

Been slacking all last week. Im GOING to the gym today! Havent been since last Wednesday :( had a cold, then we celebrated hubby's birthday and Niner football, so crappy food made me lazy. Not today though

Im going, Im going, Im going!

Yea, I guess I’m just not a fan of overhead squats. Maybe because they’d so challenging. IMO squats, shoulder press and core work is fine, overhead squatting just doesn’t seem like it has a high enough return on investment. But I’ve only tried them a couple times so I really don’t know. :)

So I’ve been consistent for 2 weeks, starting off nice and easy and slowly building. Yesterday I finally started feeling awesome during the workout. Felt more coordinated, stronger, more focus. I think going a little heavier, like 5-8 reps for most stuff most of the time will be good. Muscle memory makes it happen pretty quick.

Yea, I guess I’m just not a fan of overhead squats. Maybe because they’d so challenging. IMO squats, shoulder press and core work is fine, overhead squatting just doesn’t seem like it has a high enough return on investment. But I’ve only tried them a couple times so I really don’t know. :)

Oh don't worry, you arent the only one. I got shit the first time I posted I did them in here :)

I do crossfit so it's occasionally part of the exercise for the day that's really why I do them, not to get swole :laughing

Have it for thanks giving instead of turkey maybe? Moderation and special occasion foods are good things IMHO. (I had 1/2 a small blizzard with my kid at DQ yesterday!) As good as it is to be fit, you might get hit by a bus tomorrow, enjoy your life too.

I miss it because the heathens down here in the swamplands don't stock it and don't even know where the cut of meat is on a cow. I can get it from Sam's club but it is a pre-seasoned shit fest of crap so it kills my appetite for it. I like mine with Mansmith's low sodium grilling blend on it not some chain peppercorn overloaded mess of seasoning.

When we vacay in Cali I eat it like it is going out of style along with quite a few other things I can't get out here.

I miss it because the heathens down here in the swamplands don't stock it and don't even know where the cut of meat is on a cow. I can get it from Sam's club but it is a pre-seasoned shit fest of crap so it kills my appetite for it. I like mine with Mansmith's low sodium grilling blend on it not some chain peppercorn overloaded mess of seasoning.

When we vacay in Cali I eat it like it is going out of style along with quite a few other things I can't get out here.

Oh, right. My family is back east and you get a WTF look from the butcher shop there when you ask for it there too. Sorry Bro.

fuck, missing a week along with poor diet really kicked me in the ass. First time I seriously thought I was going to puke and it didnt even seem like that bad of a workout!

16 Dumbbell Snatches - 20lbs (L)
12 Dumbell thrusters - 20lbs (L)
6 over dumbbell burpees
16 Dumbbell Snatches - 20lbs (R)
12 Dumbell thrusters - 20lbs (R)
6 over dumbbell burpees

x4 for time - took me 20mins :green

That is great, Berto! Show those young pups that the old dog still has fight in him!

When did you get so old? Last I remember you were early 30's! :afm199 :laughing

hahahah! We're OLD Brett... :( But, we can clear lawns of yoots, for sure.

Way to crush it Berto. To everyone who keeps on pushing, thanks for sharing. It helps.

Thanks Mike...as Peter Cetera would say "you're my inspiration"!

:thumbup Awesome job and congrats on a great race season!! :party

AJ, you're gonna decimate those fucks next year. Show them how AFMers ride!

fuck, missing a week along with poor diet really kicked me in the ass. First time I seriously thought I was going to puke and it didnt even seem like that bad of a workout!

16 Dumbbell Snatches - 20lbs (L)
12 Dumbell thrusters - 20lbs (L)
6 over dumbbell burpees
16 Dumbbell Snatches - 20lbs (R)
12 Dumbell thrusters - 20lbs (R)
6 over dumbbell burpees

x4 for time - took me 20mins :green

A week off shouldn’t do that much....but if you can notice it, then I guess it affects you worse than it does me.

Check out my fat burning circuit

Lunges 6 reps per leg
SLDL 12 reps
Squats 6 reps
Good mornings 12 reps
Military Press 12 reps
Barbell rowa 6 reps
Floor press 12 reps

This can be modified of course. Repeat anywhere from 1-4 times with a 1 minute rest between circuits.

Melts fat off especially if you do slow cardio after.

My current routine, done at home. I have limited equipment. All in the 6-12 rep range mostly, sometimes 15-20 reps. I try to do 4 workouts a week, but lately I’m doing 5. If I go less than 3 days a week I would probably do a full body day and an upper/lower day.

Hip thrusts
Calf raises
Back squats
Stiff leg deadlifts
Seated calf
Split squats

Incline DB bench
Weighted pull-ups
Weighted dips
DB rows
Hammer curls
DB skull crushers
DB side raises

Front squats
Calf raises
Hex bar deadlifts
Seated calves

DB shoulder press
Weighted pull-ups
DB Rows
DB side-raises
EZ bar curls
Overhead DB extensions.

Ab wheels, leg-raises and weighted crunches sometimes.

22 laps practice
4 laps qualifying
6 laps * 5 races = 30 race laps
3 wins

2 protein shakes
Lots of water
Lots of coconut water
4 fig newtons
2 oatmeals
2 pumpkin spice latte's
1 Mexican coke
2 chicken tacos

Drained. 26 wins, 4 championships, 1 2nd place championship, 1 #6 or #7 plate,
51's. 1 retired battle worn 2010 R6 owned since a little puppy (who won her very last race).

44 never felt so great. I can't count how many 30 year olds and younger I've kept off my lawn this year...

hey now, im over 30 :D

great job Berto. see you in March.

Couple days at the new gym now, thus far, pretty happy with my choice. It's small, but empty enough that it's really not a problem. Just need to get my routine down a little bit better (as far as what I need to bring with me/have in my gym/shower bag now).

Actually did a "run" today since the full movement ellipticals were busy (and by run, I mean a slow jog because my ankle won't let me actually run). Was surprisingly easy compared to the last time I went for a jog. Could do a 12:30 minute/mile, but any faster and my "limp" gets bad, so kept it there. Did 30 min + warmup/cooldown.

Did my lifting routine after that, mostly a "pull" day today, and now at work. Blah.

Last edited:
Hey AJ, How much range of motion is in your bad ankle? Both of mine are limited to about 30 to 40 degrees. I hear your scream about running. On a good day when they don't hurt its almost fun to run. The elliptical was my go to when I was heavier and they really couldn't take much abuse at all. As I have lightened up the running has gotten easier. I took a page out of Beau's book and run hills off road. I get a quick, intense cardio work out with fewer steps/impact than I would on a long run. Running on something softer is a big help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back