TV Shows I am enjoying

Was just gonna say Constellation too, Dan. I'm a Naomi Rapace fan, so it's fit the bill well, so far.

The first 2 seasons of that show are now on Netflux, just dropped and I have to say, I am loving it. I love that the main character is so relatable.

I was really happy to find a show with a hero I could actually identify with.

We finished Season Two last night and that show really grew on me. I kept thinking that the Doctor’s vocal delivery was somewhere between Bobcat Goldthwaite and Pee Wee Herman. Pretty damn good sustained acting. Every single line in those scripts is high-level funny, ironic or some otherwise clever quip. This is a good show.

I take it there is a season three but I’ll just wait for it. I am really spoiled on not having to endure commercials and have no desire to add another paid streamer channel.

Just started watching Shōgun on FX. It's based on the book. 2 episodes in and it's pretty good so far!

Just started watching Shōgun on FX. It's based on the book. 2 episodes in and it's pretty good so far!

It's on my to-do list. I'll be watching on Hulu.

Also. Does Hiroyuki Sanada have to be in EVERYTHING Japanese related? :laughing

I like him in most everything he does but geez.

Speaking of, I've started the new season of Tokyo Vice on HBO. First season was awesome. And So far, season 2 is awesome as well. Ken Watanabe is similar to Sanada. Doesn't seem to do much not Japan related.

just finished lessons in chemistry (1 season, 8 episodes). apple tv. based on a book, so hopefully no season 2 (would be weird to go on, and probably nowhere near as good).

loved it. maybe my favorite ever.

just finished lessons in chemistry (1 season, 8 episodes). apple tv. based on a book, so hopefully no season 2 (would be weird to go on, and probably nowhere near as good).

loved it. maybe my favorite ever.

How long were the episodes? 30 minutes? An hour?

I like your opinion on almost everything and I'm looking for recommendations to add to my queue.

Just started Good Morning Veronica tonight. Should be good for some fucked up dreams for a while

Finished Slow Horses, True D, and lessons in chem (also listened to the book). Resident Alien and Shogun next up

Last edited:
How long were the episodes? 30 minutes? An hour?

I like your opinion on almost everything and I'm looking for recommendations to add to my queue.

i think around 45 minutes per episode. may be a matter of taste though. seriously damaged people - but a beautiful arc of connecting on a very elemental level, and ultimately, rising from the ashes.

We have Shogun recording now. I started Resident Alien, hoping it's something I can watch with my wife.

I'm 3 episodes into Master of the Air. Beautiful production, just not that into it yet.

New season of Entrevías (The Other Side of the Tracks). Started day before yesterday. This will make you fan of Jose Coronado and Luis Zahera (he was great in Belascoran).

For Cliff Notes kind of Spanish Gran Torino where an old soldier tries to protect his deteriorating neighborhood with mostly incompetent or corrupt policing and his own troubled family. Zahera is the most complex character, both a crooked yet super-smart cop who does the right thing when necessary but extra-mural.

Was "forced" to watch Cocaine Cowboys after wading thru Griselda.

Just started The Traitor on Peacock...first time I found myself bitching to the screen in a long time. :laughing I've never been a reality TV fan but this is starting off interesting. Damn people are SHEEP

We tried Russian Doll last night. After about 30 minutes just gave up. We are not hip enough. Same with Everything Everywhere All At Once. Got to IRS office scene and that whole deal and just could not hang anymore. I am open to fantastical things like Umbrella Academy and such but both of the shows were just overloaded.. To each his own…

Might like Constellation BA..scifi, but good so far, IMO.

I have started really enjoying Warrior. The local fiction piece of it is fun. It is set in the 1870's when is around when my Mother's family came to SF from the old Country.

There are some old family stories about the Tong Wars from back then, so it is fun to see a show set in that whole thing.

I have started really enjoying Warrior. The local fiction piece of it is fun. It is set in the 1870's when is around when my Mother's family came to SF from the old Country.

There are some old family stories about the Tong Wars from back then, so it is fun to see a show set in that whole thing.

Love all the made up dialect (like Onions) combined with more realistic social pressures

We tried Russian Doll last night. After about 30 minutes just gave up. We are not hip enough. Same with Everything Everywhere All At Once. Got to IRS office scene and that whole deal and just could not hang anymore. I am open to fantastical things like Umbrella Academy and such but both of the shows were just overloaded.. To each his own…

WRT russian doll - the first three episodes annoyed the shit out of me. my dude prodded me to hang in there. glad i did. sort of a parable about paying attention, really seeing other people, and being there for them when they need someone the most.

I kind of hear you, but while my gal dosed off, I got more into it. When I realized what the story was actually about it made me weep a bit. It's only two plus hours and you're retired man. Give it another try and let us know after you watch the whole thing (That's a challege sir!).

Now getting back to TV shows... WTF is up with the way the British shows do their intros? It's like a contest to see how cheesy/bad/like a 15 year old trying special effects, they can be. It's weird.

Finished Season 3 of Other Side of the Tracks last night. One really good thing about it is that the episodes are like an hour and a half long, so it’s sort of like watching a movie but still not too long. I really enjoyed this new season. If you start from the beginning, you might find the first few episodes a bit cheesy but the characters really grow on you.

I might pick up those other two shows but solo. Ms. BA won’t and that’s okay. She’s got a backlog of regular network shows to watch and the bedroom teevee.

Re:warrior. It is an interesting show. I had watched it a year or two ago then when it came over to another service I was able to finish. I am so confused by HBO Max Cinemax. I can’t figure out what they are doing but it all seems to eventually come over to Max, which I pay for. I think it’s an expiring cable model or something.

It’s a badass show, super chop-socky but with a way more interesting story line than most and like Eldo says, a bit of a history lesson. While I didn’t expect the old days of Charlie Chan mangled formality in language, it is weird that they use contemporary slang at times. Amidst the basic falsity of any fiction, I think it detracts from putting oneself in the head of a person in those times. Sort of like the old thing of hearing a word that wasn’t invented yet being used (moron is the one commonly cited because it wasn’t invented until the 20th century).

Last edited:
It's only two plus hours and you're retired man. Give it another try and let us know after you watch the whole thing (That's a challege sir!).

Or don't! I mean, there's so much "TV" available, why suffer through something you don't like. I've turned off a bunch of stuff halfway through. I wish there was an easy way on the Apple TV to remove stuff from my Netflix "keep watching" list. I typically go to the last episode, fast forward through to the end, and let it run off -- that will drop it. Be nice if I didn't have to do that.

Now getting back to TV shows... WTF is up with the way the British shows do their intros? It's like a contest to see how cheesy/bad/like a 15 year old trying special effects, they can be. It's weird.

My tolerance for the stuff in front of shows and movies is at an all time low, and I just skip it. Especially on NF with some movie from overseas with 7 different production companies elaborate animations to suffer through.

"No thanks!"

Back