• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

OMG Aaron, I meant to congratulate you on this purchase the other day!!! I can't wait to hear it not run.

It will be a little more noisy with the chain, but it will still be pretty quiet.

New boingers! Nice Aaron...

Installed a Tubliss rear and a Dunlop 803GP, easiest tire installation I've ever done, until the Tubliss bladder wouldn't accept air. Air is leaking around the rimlock/bladder stem. That can only mean it's damaged, right?

I changed the valve just in case it was not letting the air chuck seal, but that wasn't it. Air is going in the valve/stem and back out around it through the hole.

Installed a Tubliss rear and a Dunlop 803GP, easiest tire installation I've ever done, until the Tubliss bladder wouldn't accept air. Air is leaking around the rimlock/bladder stem. That can only mean it's damaged, right?

I changed the valve just in case it was not letting the air chuck seal, but that wasn't it. Air is going in the valve/stem and back out around it through the hole.

Always shoot a little air into the high pressure tube when it's all apart to see if there is a leak before you remount the tire. I too have learned that lesson the hard way.

JCbkHP.jpg

This is your Zero?

Always shoot a little air into the high pressure tube when it's all apart to see if there is a leak before you remount the tire. I too have learned that lesson the hard way.

Took the tire off, now I can't get the liner off. It's on tight, like there is air in the bladder. But the core is out. WTF? Put a core in and pumped it and air comes out the hole in the bottom of the rim lock base. WTF?

I dropped off my KTM with Oscar at Racepace Motorsports so he could perform some overdue maintenance. The head has never been off, and, ya'know, it's 17 years old, so maybe some maintenance.

I'm pretty negligent in that respect.

Took the tire off, now I can't get the liner off. It's on tight, like there is air in the bladder. But the core is out. WTF? Put a core in and pumped it and air comes out the hole in the bottom of the rim lock base. WTF?

You really have to squeeze the opposite side on the liner into the center of the rim. It is not dissimilar to trying to take off a front tire, both beads at the same time. Removing the liner is a lot easier with an extra set of hands.

James

Got my Tubliss bladder problem figured out and re-mounted the Dunlop 803GP. Now the bead won't seat and the tire won't hold air. :mad

Air is leaking around the high-pressure valve and through spokes. WTF?

Would a tube be better? Soft suspension, slower speeds mean less chance of pinch flats?

Tubes are very last decade :)

Sounds like a nicked liner. Possibly not enough lube? If the inner liner is being pushed hard enough to contact the inside of the tire bead, it's just a matter of everything moving as the tire sets the bead. What is the inner tube inflated to? And how much pressure are you using to inflate the "low" pressure valve?

*Edit - When I installed a Pirelli MT43 on an 18" rim, I spent the most time cleaning the center of the rim. Then spent a decent period of time lining with their rim tape. For soap, I mixed car wash soap and made sure it covered everything. Still took a little bit of pressure to get the tire to inflate, but it worked.

Last edited:
What Eric B said... seems like a HD tube might be a whole lot easier to deal with.

BTW, I thought all new trials bikes came with tubeless rear rims?

What Eric B said... seems like a HD tube might be a whole lot easier to deal with.

BTW, I thought all new trials bikes came with tubeless rear rims?

The Contact model comes with a tube type rear rim. Part of the deal with the lower price.

I took the tire off, took the Tubliss off, cleaned up the rim and added rim tape where some spoke ends had poked through, inspected the bladder (with air and soapy water), inspected the liner, and re-installed with silicone spray. No dice. Then I did the "reset" with soapy water. No dice. Bladder was at 90+psi last check.

Last edited:
After several calls to Jeff at Nuetech, I got the Dunlop 803GP seated and aired up with the Tubliss. The problem is tubless tires (i.e., trials tires) don't want to seat the bead and there's a special technique. Air up the bladder only partially then blast the tire like it's a street tire (which it is more or less) until the beads pop on. Then air up the bladder fully and reset the tire pressure lower.

After several calls to Jeff at Nuetech, I got the Dunlop 803GP seated and aired up with the Tubliss. The problem is tubless tires (i.e., trials tires) don't want to seat the bead and there's a special technique. Air up the bladder only partially then blast the tire like it's a street tire (which it is more or less) until the beads pop on. Then air up the bladder fully and reset the tire pressure lower.

Interesting, good to know.

Did a compression test on the trials bike at just under 4 hrs (they say 8 for break in) and got only 115 psi. I expect trials bikes to have less compression but that's a lot less than my YZ250 which is always around 200.

Installed some folding levers from RYP/ARC, using only one of the stock bushings per lever, because both bushings is too tight and doesn't let the lever return. A single bushing is still not ideal and leads to a little floppiness.

Rejetted to a fatter pilot and leaner main. Drained the tank and found reserve is less than a tea cup. Added 80:1 premix instead of 50:1. Adjusted the fuel screw and adjusted the clutch riding it around my driveway.

That does seem low. Did your spark arrestor show up?

Back