• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Well thats a bummer. Might still be worth coming out to see what the deal is. I learned alot the time I checked a section instead of riding. If you make it out I'll be in the subaru brat.

Finally washed the DRZ after the last stonybarf so I can do a little maintenance for the Barf baja trip.

Went for a short trials practice session. Learned some things. Repeated some bad habits.

I was Googling compression on this motor and it seems most people are getting around 150 psi. Assume they are near sea level, and my 115 isn't so bad for 5100 ft and maybe-not-broken-in rings. I'll test again at 8 or 10 hours.

I also read top ends go at least 200 hours. Nice. And crank bearings last forever because they don't get dirty premix air, but are lubed by transmission oil.

Speaking of tranny oil, I got a ketchup squeeze bottle to add oil via the tiny fill hole.

When I work on my bike in the garage I'm going to have my phone play nothing but Paco de Lucia and Andres Segovia.

[youtube]lCeebWgjrrU[/youtube]

Last edited:
I suppose so. It counts if the bike lands upside down right?

vlcsnap-225767-M.png

I ordered a new piston and bits totalling $500 for the KTM today.
17 years of riding and I thought I would give it some love. Pretty impressive, the durability of the bike, me thinks.

4fb77c2f2074ed1d26ec0b4ecfabdc38.jpg

Cleaned the air filter and will be loading on the trailer to go ride Saturday morning. I have a 4-5 hour route planned. Hoping I have enough water and gas to make it through--supposed to be hot where we are going. Back to base camp by noon is the plan!

I have a 4-5 hour route planned. Hoping I have enough water and gas to make it through--supposed to be hot where we are going. Back to base camp by noon is the plan!

You still going up to Mendo? I came up to the Chateau de Redneck in Lake County yesterday and going back to the city tonight. Its just plain too hot to do anything. Its 105 in the shade under my deck right now and 110+ in the sun.

Its also not the normal summer heat pattern. It usually cools down much more at night, with cool if not reasonable temps in the AM. It cooled to only the mid 80s late last night after midnight and was already nearly 100 at 9:30 am.

If you come up, be careful and conscience of the heat.

You still going up to Mendo? I came up to the Chateau de Redneck in Lake County yesterday and going back to the city tonight. Its just plain too hot to do anything. Its 105 in the shade under my deck right now and 110+ in the sun.

Its also not the normal summer heat pattern. It usually cools down much more at night, with cool if not reasonable temps in the AM. It cooled to only the mid 80s late last night after midnight and was already nearly 100 at 9:30 am.

If you come up, be careful and conscience of the heat.

I'm pregaming with lots of water and gatorade today and tomorrow and will carry lots of water while riding. Plan is to have the ride start by 7am and end by 11am and chill in the afternoon. Maybe an evening ride. Should be too bad. Headed to PP. You're welcome to come up. Will be two other rides with me about my skill level. I have a route plan that I'm trying to get them to buy into. Take blues and blacks south, blues and green on the east side north, blacks on the north tip to get to the blues on the west and then back to camp.

Pending if I will be riding on Sunday. If so I think I will do 37 again and see how far I get before the heat gets to me and then jam back to camp.

I don't mind the heat. I stop at every intersection and drink lots of fluids and keep to the trails that are mostly in the shade (with the exception of going down 1 in the morning).

:thumbup

Did you get the CRF rebuilt yet?

Just heard from Frank from Engines Only. Needs valves and he is going to do a piston kit while he is in there. I'm having him do kibblewhite stainless steel valves and springs to make sure it lasts.

I also dropped off my DRZ rims so he can replace the bearings. The rear seemed tight and since the BAJA sand wil eat up bearings I figured it is better safe than sorry. That's the only major thing I'm worried about. I'm sure I could have done this myself but didn't want to take a chance so far away.

Day 11 and no spark arrestor adapter or helmet from over the hill in California.

gNf6E7D.jpg

Also no response to my email inquiry, and they are closed today so I can't call. I just learned they do this as a side business.

So I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to get an aluminum exhaust extension welded on locally. It would have to be 30mm ID stepping down to 30mm OD, so the 30mm ID spark arrestor can fit over it. That's 1.181" inch. Could a 1.25" be welded on?

IMG_0586-L.jpg

IMG_20170618_113451059-L.jpg

Last edited:
If you ordered from lewis... I had the same experience recently. The helmet I ordered was back ordered(was told after the fact - showed in stock) and email was hit or miss. They even texted me a couple of times and then I would reply with a question and get no reply back. Not a good experience.
Thing is, most people have good things to say about them, so makes me wonder if they're going through staff changes or if they've just been super busy.

I hope you get your SA soon.

Last edited:
You guys need to call and talk to them, they are not Amazon. They've done me right more times than I can count but don't rely on the website to be accurate. They also drive to national events so may be on the road at times during the summer and harder to reach.

As to a temp SA, wrap wire mesh around the pipe and use a hose clamp, that will pass at most PITS events in a pinch.

You guys need to call and talk to them, they are not Amazon.
Also no response to my email inquiry, and they are closed today so I can't call.
I think there's a national in Rhode Island this weekend, so maybe they were driving across country.

Thanks for the ghetto SA tip. I'm wondering if my current SA might just hold on for a weekend with the aid of some high temp silcicone or Yamabond 6B. I've googled my fingers to the bone and it doesn't seem there's anywhere else to get a SA for a GG.

I've googled my fingers to the bone and it doesn't seem there's anywhere else to get a SA for a GG.

The machined aluminum ones they sell are actually made by one of the club members; Adrian had to make that happen for SA compliance on public lands....so we could have events there. Gotta' love the CA rules....although I'll bet it helps a bit for the events on private land too.

Last edited:
IMG_20170624_174338266-L.jpg
IMG_20170624_174350710-L.jpg

It's held on with a lot of high temperature silicone sealant and the set screw is not at all tight, because it hits the edge of the pipe and torques off the SA body when tightened. I made a safety wire tether for if and when it comes off.

I would use something more permanent and stronger but the screws to the pipe end are covered by the SA body so the SA needs to be removable.

I lost one of the small sheet metal screws when re-installing the pipe end and had to make a late run to the hardware store. No amount of looking under the bench, sweeping, using a magnet, etc. would find it. When I was done with the bike I found the screw siliconed to the brake caliper it fell on when I dropped it.

My Gaernes arrived (not from California!) and I thought they shipped me kids boots by mistake. Here they are compared to my usual Alpinestars, all size 46 (11).

IMG_20170624_153307489-L.jpg

IMG_20170624_153319325-L.jpg

I removed the sad excuses for footbeds and installed the Superfeet beds from my A*. Nice and comfy, and already flexy. I worry about protection because I bruised my shin with the footpeg earlier wearing the A*.

Last edited:
Back