• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Replaced the fibers and steels on the z-start pro in my 2005 KTM 300 EXC. I didn't realize the steels are specific to the Rekluse clutch. So I was forced to place a second order from RM for the steels. I was going to get the Rekluse fibers as well but they don't make them for KTM. I ended up using the EBC fibers from the original clutch kit I ordered.

I also replaced the countershaft seal while I had the trans oil drained. This was the 1st time I had completed both of these tasks and they ended up being very easy after watching a couple of Youtube videos.

I am still having a hard time getting as much stopping power from the Rekluse LHRB. It does not want to lock up the rear. It is the newer style and I have bleed it several times.
Try reverse bleeding with a syringe and rubber hose to the slave cylinder.:thumbup

How many hours did you get on your Rekluse ZSP before you replaced the plates? What made you replace them? Couldn't maintain the gap?

They got hot in one of the bottlenecks at the VCGP. The clutch was still working fine but developed a squeal on initial engagement. I would estimate 60 hours with 10 of those after the VCGP.

Rebuilding the forks on the xr400. I decided to do the compression shim stack mod that everyone raves about. Pretty simple to remove compression valve and take out half of the 12 shims. Waiting on new bushings and seals to arrive so I can put it all back together. Also found that one of the forks was really sticky compared to the other one and the fork oil in both forks was nasty. I'm assuming they have never been serviced so glad I decided to do it. While the forks are off I'll remove the triple clamp and regrease the steering head bearings.

This will leave the swing arm bearings and rear shock to do before Baja, along with new wheel bearings front and rear. Feeling like I'm ahead of it this year!

[YOUTUBE]a5LAYX6MUlI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]w6PTdjk9GVc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]j6iwcDinkDs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]tb16KS2t9k0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]q_1ngl9ZbJM[/YOUTUBE]

I had to stop and look for the trail, such as it is, at times.

Rebuilding the forks on the xr400. I decided to do the compression shim stack mod that everyone raves about. Pretty simple to remove compression valve and take out half of the 12 shims. Waiting on new bushings and seals to arrive so I can put it all back together. Also found that one of the forks was really sticky compared to the other one and the fork oil in both forks was nasty. I'm assuming they have never been serviced so glad I decided to do it. While the forks are off I'll remove the triple clamp and regrease the steering head bearings.

This will leave the swing arm bearings and rear shock to do before Baja, along with new wheel bearings front and rear. Feeling like I'm ahead of it this year!

I need to do all of this. :-(

Plan to do the forks next month. They could use it...BAD. Need a new rear spring for my weight too.

Paid the registration, $98.00. Cost per mile in the US is high!

We sat down with the big bore thumpers last night and told them Mommy and Daddy still love them but that we will be pickling them and turning them into art.

We sat down with the big bore thumpers last night and told them Mommy and Daddy still love them but that we will be pickling them and turning them into art.

This makes me simultaneously happy and sad.

I know a place that would love to display a pickled atk. :)

Last edited:
Wait, lunchbox is supposed to be selling one

I'm selling 3, buying one. Net loss of two. Sold one to Frozenuts. Two more to go.

Lunchbox buys a bike from elemental? Hmmmmmm. Trials bike???

Lunchbox buys a bike from elemental? Hmmmmmm. Trials bike???

I am not quite ready to commit that much time to riding. If I got a trials bike I would want to train constantly, which would not be possible right now. Give me a couple of years, though....

Since I won't have time to do any long moto trips once the brewery opens, there's no need for me to have a long-range dualsport. This is why the 690 and DR are being sold. I was planning on keeping the KDX, as it is a very well setup woods weapon. One of the few bikes I would rather have is a GasGas EC300. Elemental happened to have one. More importantly, it was the one that my old buddy Drew used to own. He gave me first crack at it a few years back when he sold it, but I was too broke to buy it.

Elemental was kind enough to keep me in mind when he decided to sell it, and it is now in my grubby little hands.

I should probably mention that it is plated :teeth

Anyway, once the herd thinning is complete, I will be down to an FJ-09, Zero FX, and the EC300. That's a proper stable! :thumbup

Last edited:
Back