• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

KTM starter failure?

NYY7cDE.jpg

(Says the guy whose Yamaha kickstarter fell off on a ride.)

IMG_0014-L.jpg

Both Betas got oil and transmission services.

FWIW, I am loving my fastway pegs. The bigger area really helps.

G which fastway pegs did you get?

Is that a turbine SA or a screen?

I heard of people having screen type SAs welded on their stock silencers. I bet that would stop my bike from spooging.

FMF Turbine Core II. I think it's the same as yours if I remember. I've thought of actually trying what you are talking about.... Haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Today, serviced the forks and played with height and oil weights. Prepping for StonyBARF! :ride:party

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Went for a ride with byke from my house to Warm Springs Mtn. and back. He thought his 1.9 gal tank was good for 50 mi and I brought him back running on fumes at 48 mi or so.

The dirt was dry, the rain got soaked up, but the long wash around Warm Springs was moist. Elsewhere we were struggling for traction on the dry soil over hardpack. My YZ250 was dial-a-roost: traction up until the PV opened, then the Shinko Cheater spun. Very predictable. It was awesome on the rocky hill climbs.

Speaking of rocks, I had an epic save when I got bounced off the rocks, leaned over to the left like Marques, both wheels in the air, I knew I was going down on the left and I held the grip so as not to hurt my hand/wrist/arm. Then somehow it hooked up and straightened up and continued. Of course byke didn't record it on his GoPro, or even see it. You know what they say, DoG looks over children, drunks, and fools. I guess I'm the latter.

At the long wash, which was silly fun, byke had 26 miles so we headed back. For some reason the ride there took an instant an the ride back took a Dakar week.

I fell over more times this ride than I have all year, maybe the previous year too. My attention was diverted looking for side trails and then I'd hit a tight turn in sand. Boom, down. When I paid attention, on the gas, looking ahead, the Shinko 546 front didn't care about no sand, or rain ruts.

We encountered mile after mile of rain-eroded trail. Almost every downhill and uphill had a rain rut to ride in or dodge.

We had to stop often for me to work out my cramped muscles, this being my first ride since the spring. I don't ride in the heat. The whoops made me stand up and down, up and down, and I got a terrible charlie horse in my left thigh. I don't know why not the right. I'm on 800 mg of vitamin I and I may have to take some Vicodin to sleep.

When we got home, my YZ250 had a ton of fuel left, even though I started without a full tank. The brake pedal bolt had worked itself loose and it had a terribly leaking right fork seal. So I have my work cut out for me for StonyBARF!

With the YZ maintenance completed, it was time to get the TLR ready for StonyBarf. Hard to believe with only a little over 10ish hp (?) I loop the damn TLR200R so much..... But I do. Skilz :x

Some parts for these things are becoming scarcer than chicken lips and certain reproduction parts from England spendy. Rear fenders are just one of those parts. The OEM original is in a box and staying there along with second reproduction one until I gain some skilz and stop looping the damn thing. Until then, I'm going to keep repairing the "learner" fender with sheet aluminum and rivets. Nothing but the finest redneck workmanship at the CdR. :thumbup

As you can see, not the first repair, nor the last. A few other minor maintenance items and fired her up for a test ride up down the street. Other than a wash, Pedro the TLR is ready for StonyBarf.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Eric your story sounds so familiar. Not letting go of the grip is seriously ingrained in my head. My clavicle paid the price this time but Ill take it over the wrist or arm or a combo of the three. Cant wait to ride up there some time. Your back yard rocks.

What about a hinge on that TLR rear fender?

That sounds like a great idea. The correct hinge in the correct spot and maybe some Velcro or rubber straps that will hold the fender down until it needs to move. With a little engineering, I think it would be a good solution.

Washed gear, washed the bike, cleaned the filter aaaand changed the oil. The regular post-ride stuffs. :ride

Cleaned fork seals (Risk Racing tool is the best), tightened brake pedal with thread locker and added a new safety clip, bled front brake, replaced air filter, added fuel.

Turns out I used between 1.5 and 1.75 gallons yesterday. YZ250 smoker gets better fuel economy than CRF450R thumper, whodathunkit? Worst case, 28 mpg. Pretty good, eh?

I told byke before the ride I thought my bike gets between 25 and 30 mpg. I don't even have an odometer.

Hey Oobus, I usually ride with a throttle paddle in acount of my Christ on the cross hand.
Haven't tried it on the Betayet, might die.

I had 49mi on the odo, which is about 25mpg with the stock 1.9g tank. Maybe not that great, but google search says it's normal. Was looking at range for fuel injected bikes and it doesn't seem any better. Getting a little worried now for the harescramble.

Back