• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Started the rebuild of my crank.. just a matter of time before the engine is all back together. Received some assistance from the neighbor with a lathe to measure the run out. All looks good!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 4.14.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 4.14.24 PM.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 4.14.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 4.14.52 PM.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 35
Cleaned/lubed the chain. Set the slack. Cleaned and oiled the filter. Trying to figure out why the lights aren’t working...

Started the rebuild of my crank.. just a matter of time before the engine is all back together. Received some assistance from the neighbor with a lathe to measure the run out. All looks good!

Loooove the photo of that old timer truing your crank!

Raised my 2012 YZ450F back up to stock height by removing the lowering link and installing the factory link back in.

Then further raised it back up to stock by removing the lowered seat and installing a new Acerbis X seat.

Guy I bought the bike from was pretty short, like 5'3" or something. His sister is EXTREMELY hot.

Gave my bike a proper georgetown bath yesterday
(I know it's hard to figure out what you're looking at here. I think I got a better bath than the moto. But you can't really tell from the pic)

swim3.jpg

Trying out a new tire. This is the Shinko 525 Hybrid Cheater. I tried the original Cheater, the 505, and liked it. This tire is the same carcass and super soft rubber compound, but has wider tread spacing.
I think this is going to be a good winter tire, as the soft compound will stay softer in near freezing temps, and the wide lug spacing will be better at clearing mud and snow.
I will run it at 4-5psi w/ Tubliss.

Attachments

• 20171229_214131.jpg
    20171229_214131.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 35
Trying out a new tire. This is the Shinko 525 Hybrid Cheater. I tried the original Cheater, the 505, and liked it. This tire is the same carcass and super soft rubber compound, but has wider tread spacing.
I think this is going to be a good winter tire, as the soft compound will stay softer in near freezing temps, and the wide lug spacing will be better at clearing mud and snow.
I will run it at 4-5psi w/ Tubliss.

Be curious what your impressions are. I have one sitting on the shelf in my shop. I was going to mount it next summer on my YZ in the dry season to see how it does on hardpack and rooty rocky single track. :thumbup

Trying out a new tire. This is the Shinko 525 Hybrid Cheater.
Sweet, a guinea pig! I thought about trying it too, for the same reasons, but it would a "grass is always greener elsewhere" situation. The 505 is really good.

I'm healing up and might get on a bike this weekend for a gentle ride. I lost a bunch of weight; I wonder if my suspension is going to be all wrong.

Swapped out the 48mm CC Zoke forks on the gasgas for a set of Showas. Bought a used conversion kit off a KTMtalk member last year and finally installed it. Had to turn one aluminum spacer for the axle and that was it. Easiest fork swap I've ever done.

I have a second set of showas all taken apart so I can mod valve stacks in one set then put them in the bike while fiddling with the other set. Eventually will put these on my 550 probably too. One fork type with different settings is much easier than 4 types (like I have now).

Can't wait to take it out for a test...

Reconfigured my YZ250 carb around the Suzuki needle. NECK (leaner than the standard zook NECJ), my lean #8 slide, dropped the power jet one size from 50 to 40, and dropped my main and pilot by two sizes because of the increased taper of the zook needle.

Started it up and it didn't have the usual high idle with the choke. Once warm, it had a lean bog when giving it full throttle from closed while in neutral. I fiddled with the air screw and idle screw but the pilot might be too lean.

Dusted off the ol' gal and went to Foresthill today. Really nice out there right now.

Tested my new jetting and my post-surgery body on a short ride. After turning my fork compression full soft for my weight loss.

[youtube]jkZsT2N34bo[/youtube]

That first hill that I failed on, I've never tried going up it. I've always gone down, and it's hairy. Yeah, up didn't work. :( Pics from where I gave up.

IMG_20180101_130439462-X2.jpg
IMG_20180101_130450620-X2.jpg

Stupid pics look like it's level. It's one of the steepest hills around here.

I went up that wash I went down last time.

[youtube]m_QwAT9CyMI[/youtube]

It was a nice day but we need some rain. There was no traction.

IMG_20180101_130457909-XL.jpg

I actually did some work on one of the bikes. Me and my dad bled the rear brake (hand and foot) of the Alta. It was humorous.

Went up one size on my pilot and main jets around the lean Suzuki needle yesterday, then trucked (!) my bike to Moonrocks to ride in the sweet conditions after the rain. There were about 20 trucks in the first staging area! I've seen at most 5 or 6 there.

The jetting was better, but still weird. I decided to switch back to the lean Yamaha needle but then I figured the Zook needle might be OK. It still feels lean and droning, but it's nice for slow, technical riding.

I got up on Dogskin mountain, hooked up with some riders, followed them down, then went back up alone. That's when I got into trouble. I got myself into multiple predicaments and I was actually terrified at one point. I have never been terrified on a motorcycle.

Here's one of the gnarly downhills. That's my bike top left.
IMG_20180107_143348369-L.jpg

It's not even a trail, just a couple bike tracks through and over rocks down a steep hill.

IMG_20180107_143335717-X2.jpg

I got there when I followed a downhill trail that I couldn't get back up. But I'm good at going down things; gravity is my friend. Or so I thought.

Once today I ended up with my bike upside down and once I ended up sitting with the handlebar on my boot. I was never strong or fit to begin with, and following my illness and surgery, I've lost muscle mass and strength. I was lucky to muster the strength to get out of my predicaments.

So Dogskin canyons might be off the menu for my solo rides for the future. :afm199 I can still ride the ridge and drop in to a known easy canyon with a known easy route out. But if I miss the turn I'll end up in that gnarly shit that turned my bike upside down.

I saw some cool stuff today. A Chinook helicopter was practicing landing on a hill, taking his sweet time without somebody firing a DSHK at him. Two coyotes were as big as wolves (likely from eating the plentiful jackrabbits as big as dogs). I ran smack into a herd of mule deer, including a buck. I saw one, lone feral horse.

Back