• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

The staging area was crowded at Johnson Lane too, lots of trucks. A lot of them with SxS trailers though. A big group of 10 riders or so left for the trails right when we got there. Figured for sure we would run into a couple groups out there. We heard some bikes but saw no one else.

Of course, not surprising we didn't run into anyone in the places we ride, like this huge boulder field:

RZkGOAZh.jpg

New chain, sprockets, and fancy BRP chain guide.

Attachments

• 20180112_215534.jpg
    20180112_215534.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 44
The whole wash and lube thing, plus repairs.

My left shroud and graphics got chewed up pretty bad last ride. Here's what I saw when I pulled the tank to work on the carb.

IMG_20180113_135109540-X2.jpg

Oh yeah, that rad brace worked great. Only two crumpled columns of fins.

I pulled the Zook NECK needle and went back to the Yamaha N3EK @2 with 45 pilot and 172 main. I pulled the spark plug, and I'm the last person to use spark plug color for jetting, but it was pale. So was the piston. That just confirmed my feeling of the NECK needle at low throttle openings. Maybe the 45 pilot would work with the NECK needle but I just want to go back to a known good setup instead of dicking around.

Even that lean, my Q still spooged. I only used about a gallon of fuel in 3 hours of engine meter time though.

I installed new hardware for my kill switch, another casualty of the previous ride. And took off the Scotts damper which seemed to be leaking. The link arm feels notchy. I might send it in for a rebuild. I've had it since I raced D36 in the nineties and only rebuilt it once.

I installed a new brake snake on the rear pedal, which somehow survived my last bushwhacking session.

I admired the fresh dents and scratches in the Gnarly pipe, which was recently repaired of dents and scratches.

I think I'll give this poor bike a break and ride my 450 or trials bike.

Last edited:
I rode it today. An accomplishment after 9 months. Felt good, tried to work on being faster which mostly worked but crashed coming to a stop, doh. Now I’ll be replacing a clutch cable as it got pinched. :ride

Rode yesterday. Just washed the bike and gear, changed the oil and filter, all ready to go again!

Went all the way out to Carnegie. I know, I know, but I was in search of good dirt and found it. Reno probably would have been good too.

I used to also, but Carnegie is a great place to work on climbing because you have every possible increment you need to work your way up to some level of comfort.

Rode my poor, neglected 450. Poked around on some two track, got bored, and hit my trials practice area. That was a mistake. Now I have another mangled shroud and bent radiator.

[youtube]7PArKJ4csJA[/youtube]

That thing just kept stalling. It wants to stretch its legs, not putt around at a walking pace.

Rode the Alta for an hour in hero dirt...

Washed the 450 along with oil/trans change and new grips. My daughter pressure washed her bike after Carnegie and it was awesome this weekend!

Attachments

• 346DD437-55C8-4E45-8EF8-43DEAC744BD4.jpg
    346DD437-55C8-4E45-8EF8-43DEAC744BD4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Dang that trail looks/sounds awesome (well, except for the "terrified" part. I don't handle being terrified so well) Nice pic's and story. Too bad it is 5-6 hours from my house.

Went up one size on my pilot and main jets around the lean Suzuki needle yesterday, then trucked (!) my bike to Moonrocks to ride in the sweet conditions after the rain. There were about 20 trucks in the first staging area! I've seen at most 5 or 6 there.

The jetting was better, but still weird. I decided to switch back to the lean Yamaha needle but then I figured the Zook needle might be OK. It still feels lean and droning, but it's nice for slow, technical riding.

I got up on Dogskin mountain, hooked up with some riders, followed them down, then went back up alone. That's when I got into trouble. I got myself into multiple predicaments and I was actually terrified at one point. I have never been terrified on a motorcycle.

Here's one of the gnarly downhills. That's my bike top left.
IMG_20180107_143348369-L.jpg

It's not even a trail, just a couple bike tracks through and over rocks down a steep hill.

IMG_20180107_143335717-X2.jpg

I got there when I followed a downhill trail that I couldn't get back up. But I'm good at going down things; gravity is my friend. Or so I thought.

Once today I ended up with my bike upside down and once I ended up sitting with the handlebar on my boot. I was never strong or fit to begin with, and following my illness and surgery, I've lost muscle mass and strength. I was lucky to muster the strength to get out of my predicaments.

So Dogskin canyons might be off the menu for my solo rides for the future. :afm199 I can still ride the ridge and drop in to a known easy canyon with a known easy route out. But if I miss the turn I'll end up in that gnarly shit that turned my bike upside down.

I saw some cool stuff today. A Chinook helicopter was practicing landing on a hill, taking his sweet time without somebody firing a DSHK at him. Two coyotes were as big as wolves (likely from eating the plentiful jackrabbits as big as dogs). I ran smack into a herd of mule deer, including a buck. I saw one, lone feral horse.

Took the KLX and Warrior out since I went to Moab like more than a year ago. Did an oil change and and cleaned the chain. The warrior had some problem with the safety rev limiters that I bypassed worked fine. Also installed a new deck on my harbor freight trailer that I'd been neglecting for a while.

Rode Metcalf on Saturday, it was muddy in some places but a lotta fun, been a while since I'd ridden a dirt bike instead of the monster DR650. There's lots of trials obstacles now I played on them a bit, I'm getting pretty good at log jumping :)

Also the motocross track was all mud rutted up so it wasn't any fun but the mini mx track is in great shape and they made the jump steeper angles so you can launch it better. It almost like a flat track with jumps lotta fun and since I have a 140 I can ride it :)
[youtube]FYcXWtd7XjY[/youtube]

Last edited:
but the mini mx track ... It almost like a flat track with jumps lotta fun and since I have a 140 I can ride it :)

I understand those yea haw's of yours! that track is a blast on the little bikes! It's been a couple years since i've done that track, but you've got me thinking I need to bring out my little CRF150F to Metcalf for some WFO yee-haw action. good stuff

Back