• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Now for the new meat!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Put a sticker on my 250 for my solo rides ("well at least I can go down it") and rides with thedub ("hey I know this feature"):

IMG_20180205_180302662-XL.jpg

Yesterday I washed the 250, cleaned the chain, replaced the filter, the usual post-ride stuff. I need to change the oil and check the Rekluse gap.

I tore apart the 450 to get to the carb, it wasn't that bad. I cleaned the pilot jet. I put a richer pilot jet in anyway. My 20 feet of vent line arrived so now I'm considering pulling the carb, which means hot start and throttle cables, which are a bitch. When I get it running again I think I'll just put 100% race gas in it then run it until it starves, then drain the float bowl.

...I torqued every bolt stem to stern, installed new wheel bearings then wired up one of these LED aux lights for some extra lumens. We'll see...

20180209_201934.jpg

450: Put polyurethane vent lines on and put the bike back together. Started and idled with the new pilot. I'll ride it tomorrow.

Thinking of putting a Nitro Mousse in the rear of the 450 inside a Pirelli MT-43. Wondering if it will hold up to months of storage.

250: Changed trans oil, checked Rekluse gap, bled front brake, repacked silencer. The packing was nasty, soaking wet, and pooling up at the bottom and leaking through the "you need to repack" hole and the seams. I used maybe half the packing I normally use to repack it.

Last edited:
Second ride on the 250 with the Rekluse and FWW, this time at Metcalf. Have to say I am very pleased with it now. Still lots of power but very linear delivery. I conquered...I mean survived...Gruesome Gary and Big Manzanita for the first time today. Would have had a much shittier time without the cheater clutch.

Beginning prep for the Wild Piglet. Ripped off the rear wheel, stripped off the rubber.

side note: I know that I haven't changed a dirt tire by hand in about 10 years, but DAMN this Maxxis MX64 may as well be a runflat.

Prepping for MMX Hare Scramble:

Backgrounds ordered
New kill switch installed
Drained coolant and put in water wetter
Cleaned/oiled air filter

I'm not gonna lie, that last mmx harescramble kicked my butt. It's very active with not many places to shake a hand or take a breath. If I were to do it again, I'd eat several bananas throughout the night and morning before, hydrate for 24hrs and also would have used gloves with a little more padding on the palms.

I opened the garage, looked at it, and then shut the garage.

I rode through the San Juans in Colorado this past summer on my 8000 mile cross country Ninja 250 trip. Swore I'd return, and am almost set on the idea of throwing the DR350 on a trailer this summer, and hauling the bike out to CO/UT for a week.

Have been assembling a bike overhaul list over the past week or so. Top end & head refresh, possibly splitting the cases to fix an oil leak, wheels bearings controls etc etc etc. Have thought about possibly replacing the DR instead of doing all of this work, but don't think I could get anywhere close to the performance of a dirt plated DR350 for what I'd spend on something else. It is plated, ~30hp, 280lbs wet. Especially since the NC DMV is very strict on what can be plated, I'm not sure I could beat this thing without spending a lot of money.

Rode my 450

[youtube]BiK5pR1ilso[/youtube]

0 - 3:22 singletrack, a few rocks
3:23 - 7:59 down a rocky canyon, I was uncomfortable
8:00 - 8:34 finding traction up a loose then rocky hill
8:35 - 9:08 finding traction up an off-camber side hill
9:09 - 11:01 whatevs
11:02 - 11:28 short, tight wash
11:29 - 12:10 hauling ass on the way home
12:11 oh shit soft sand
12:40 oh yeah definitely in a wash now no question

The 450 just sucks on steep downhills. And is weak sauce in super slow 1st gear clutchy rock gardens. It absolutely has less low-mid torque than my 250, no question about it now. It slays on wide open stuff where it can pick up some revs. It does pretty damn well (with a worn Pirelli MT-43) climbing up rocky hills, provided I can keep enough momentum in gear and/or use the clutch proficiently to prevent it from stalling. It loves to stall. Which is why the e-start is great.

I'm not gonna lie, that last mmx harescramble kicked my butt. It's very active with not many places to shake a hand or take a breath. If I were to do it again, I'd eat several bananas throughout the night and morning before, hydrate for 24hrs and also would have used gloves with a little more padding on the palms.

I appreciate the heads up. From watching numerous videos from past events, though it’s fairly open as far as the course width, like you said, it’ll be a challenge for sure.

By chance did you need to refuel or are extended tanks more likely needed for the enduros? I’ve got the stock 1.7gal and I’ll be testing distance/time this week (Fri@Carnigie) but thought I’d ask since this is all new to me.

Last edited:
You're riding that efi '09 crf450r? I have a carb'ed crf450 and was using the stock tank at that race and made it without refueling! I was on absolute fumes and the bike went lean a few times on the last lap. I think my stock tank is 1.9g, so you might be okay with 1.7g on an efi bike. Can you get 50mi of trail riding? If yes, I think you'll be okay.

You're riding that efi '09 crf450r? I have a carb'ed crf450 and was using the stock tank at that race and made it without refueling! I was on absolute fumes and the bike went lean a few times on the last lap. I think my stock tank is 1.9g, so you might be okay with 1.7g on an efi bike. Can you get 50mi of trail riding? If yes, I think you'll be okay.

Correct, it’ll be on the 450. This Friday I’ll be putting in trail miles at Carnegie to find that exact question out. I’m with you in that if I can get 50mi out of the tank.

I appreciate the help/feedback!

Put a sticker on my 250 for my solo rides ("well at least I can go down it") and rides with thedub ("hey I know this feature"):

IMG_20180205_180302662-XL.jpg

Yesterday I washed the 250, cleaned the chain, replaced the filter, the usual post-ride stuff. I need to change the oil and check the Rekluse gap.

I tore apart the 450 to get to the carb, it wasn't that bad. I cleaned the pilot jet. I put a richer pilot jet in anyway. My 20 feet of vent line arrived so now I'm considering pulling the carb, which means hot start and throttle cables, which are a bitch. When I get it running again I think I'll just put 100% race gas in it then run it until it starves, then drain the float bowl.

I like your sticker 2SYS! My brother once asked me why it felt like we could die on most off road dirt bike trips? I told him it was because we decided to ride in the Sierras too late or year in the year and stay out way to long and come back in the dark in 18 degree weather, dressed like it was summer. The huge fire at camp always felt better when you can't feel your fingers or toes.

Rode my 450

[youtube]BiK5pR1ilso[/youtube]

0 - 3:22 singletrack, a few rocks
3:23 - 7:59 down a rocky canyon, I was uncomfortable
8:00 - 8:34 finding traction up a loose then rocky hill
8:35 - 9:08 finding traction up an off-camber side hill
9:09 - 11:01 whatevs
11:02 - 11:28 short, tight wash
11:29 - 12:10 hauling ass on the way home
12:11 oh shit soft sand
12:40 oh yeah definitely in a wash now no question

The 450 just sucks on steep downhills. And is weak sauce in super slow 1st gear clutchy rock gardens. It absolutely has less low-mid torque than my 250, no question about it now. It slays on wide open stuff where it can pick up some revs. It does pretty damn well (with a worn Pirelli MT-43) climbing up rocky hills, provided I can keep enough momentum in gear and/or use the clutch proficiently to prevent it from stalling. It loves to stall. Which is why the e-start is great.

What make and model is your 450?
A wr should have great torque down low.

I removed Recluse Homebrew LHRB and replaced with the Alta factory kit. The footpedal, which for for me, was an on/ off deal, is gone. I’ll test it today, and certianly tomorrow at Hollister...

Oil/filter change on the yz450f w/ Rotella T6, removed aluminum skid plate to diagnose sound. No change, screw it, gonna ride it.

Figured out why the SXV550 was boiling over. Apparently to FULLY tighten the radiator cap, you gotta turn it past the first natural feeling stop and muscle it to the actual stop. Eventually I'll test it.

I gave it a pat and explained to it that it’ll be in the container for a few months. I told it Mommy still loves you,

Put in new fork seal, topped off both forks trying a different fork oil level to see how it impacts the ride. Adjusted the forks further up the triple as well. Got fresh oil & filters, air filter, and some fresh fuel.

Ready to rip it up this weekend.

Back