• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Worked on a rack for my xrr today, in preparation for Baja next month. I've been working on it for a few weeks, but I'm really close to done now. Just need to make one more attachment point for each saddle bag hoop that connects to the horizontal rack. Hope to get that done tomorrow and paint the whole thing.

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Dude, that's bad ass. Nice work.

My Clarke 4.0 gallong tank arrived.

Checked the front sprocket and here's what I found.....

The welds had already broken and the sprocket was flopping around on there.

I ground off the welds to find the splines are more than halfway gone...

Worked on a rack for my xrr today, in preparation for Baja next month. I've been working on it for a few weeks, but I'm really close to done now. Just need to make one more attachment point for each saddle bag hoop that connects to the horizontal rack. Hope to get that done tomorrow and paint the whole thing.

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Nice job on the rack!
Hey, I thought I was the only one in Crockett with an over-stuffed garage-
Small world!
garage_zpsaeb01dda.jpg

You ever see this bike runnin' around town?
1074049-650_pic_zps2b5d34a9.jpg

I grew up in the Bay Area and I've never even heard of Crockett until now.

Those are some proper looking garages, though. :thumbup

Nice job on the rack!
Hey, I thought I was the only one in Crockett with an over-stuffed garage-
Small world!
garage_zpsaeb01dda.jpg

You ever see this bike runnin' around town?
1074049-650_pic_zps2b5d34a9.jpg

Hey there:

You are not alone brother! :laughing:thumbup I haven't seen that xrr, it looks pretty slick! Is it yours? I'd love to come take a look at it, especially when I wire up my lights. Maybe we can compare notes on storage cabinet ideas. :rofl

I'm up off the top of Pomona close to the WWI memorial.

I grew up in the Bay Area and I've never even heard of Crockett until now.

Those are some proper looking garages, though. :thumbup

Thats one of my favorite things about this town! Its kinda off the map, unless you live here or Port Costa.

Sorry about that counter shaft being worn. I assume that means split the cases to repair, or are you thinking of welding on another sprocket?

Last edited:
Looks awesome, Daniel. Serious skills. :hail

Well we shall see how good it is, but thanks. I expect to give it a serious beating in baja, and you know how I ride. There's no way those things aren't going to hit the ground at some point!:teeth

Last edited:
Hey there:

You are not alone brother! :laughing:thumbup I haven't seen that xrr, it looks pretty slick! Is it yours? I'd love to come take a look at it, especially when I wire up my lights. Maybe we can compare notes on storage cabinet ideas. :rofl

I'm up off the top of Pomona close to the WWI memorial.

It was mine, I sold it a while back.
Top of Pomona? Dude- I'm On Emerson, up off the top of Baldwin!
Were neighbors!
You can always tell when I'm working in my garage, all the bikes are in my driveway..:laughing
I'm an electrician, if you need any help with the wiring or anything gimme a holler! :thumbup

Last edited:
Very cool! Luckily we've got most of the electrical stuff handled at this point. Know any moto folks in Crockett who do roofs? :rofl I'm on Vallejo between Clark and Edwards. Brick house with a driveway full of "projects". (cue up the Sanford and Son theme song).

Very cool! Luckily we've got most of the electrical stuff handled at this point. Know any moto folks in Crockett who do roofs? :rofl I'm on Vallejo between Clark and Edwards. Brick house with a driveway full of "projects". (cue up the Sanford and Son theme song).

Vallejo street? Did you buy that house from ol' whatshisname that moved to Texas??

Vallejo street? Did you buy that house from ol' whatshisname that moved to Texas??

No we've been here for 13 years, bought the house from the original owner who had it built in 1923! She was 101 when we bought it!

Hey Daniel, if you ever see this bike parked in front of the Tac, stop in- I'll buy you a beer! :staRang
BTW, I still have those special XR650R swingarm tools if you need them..
skidplate2002_zps1b59627f.jpg

Back on topic:
That's a homemade skid plate in above pic.
Thermoformed it in my driveway, it's made out of 1/4" ABS.
skidplate002_zps14b2fcfe.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Dan, if you ever see this bike parked in front of the Tac, stop in- I'll buy you a beer! :staRang
skidplate2002_zps1b59627f.jpg

Back on topic:
That's a homemade skid plate in above pic.
Thermoformed it in my driveway, it's made out of 1/4" ABS.
skidplate002_zps14b2fcfe.jpg

I see the crf in front of the tac pretty regularly, but I hadn't noticed the street tires before. Nice work on the skid plate. :thumbup

I see the crf in front of the tac pretty regularly, but I hadn't noticed the street tires before. Nice work on the skid plate. :thumbup

Thanks!
Yeah, I slapped some knobbies on it and took it to Hollister and Foresthill a few times, decided it wasn't really made for that so I put street tires on it and called it a day.
I got these two for fart'n around in the dirt..
009_zps2b4b30ad.jpg

Thats one of my favorite things about this town! Its kinda off the map, unless you live here or Port Costa.

Sorry about that counter shaft being worn. I assume that means split the cases to repair, or are you thinking of welding on another sprocket?

Yea, split the cases is the proper fix, but since this is just a play bike for me, I am considering another sprocket weld for a temp fix....we'll see.

Apparently, the XR650L sprocket is thin and fits loosely on the counter shaft splines which causes the splines to wear out in less than 10k miles if ridden hard or on the street. I've ssen some with heavy wear at less than half that many miles.

So much for the "bullet proof XR650L" and Honda engineering. :thumbdown

The fix for this is to use an XR650R sprocket. The XRR sprocket is a bit wider and fits tighter, so it disperses the forces on the counter shaft and eliminates the free play. But you have to change the sprocket out immediately, the XRL sprocket starts wearing out the counter shaft on the first ride.

Hey Honda, since you're already tooled up for XRR sprockets, why not slap them on the XRL's? A-holes.

Took her out to Prairie City and had a ton of fun in the rain today. Park was abandoned except for myself and two buddies. Managed to bend a shift lever and break the rear fender lol. It was a hoot and a half with all the water!

While I'm waiting for parts, some other parts came in...

XR400R fender...

Trail Tech dash board (slightly modified to make use of the oem dash....)

The wifes bike always gets worked on before mine but here is a shot in street trim before converting to knobs and dirt stuff. Mine is getting its transformation from SUpermoto to dirt today. Hope to atleast ride metcalf after Xmas because the wife said no dirt riding before since its a holiday about giving to others and not yourself...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 34
Back