• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Since I'm in the thread, I may as well post that I swapped to my dirt wheels to get ready for a Baja shakedown ride some time very soon. Sorry about the blurry phone pics. I think I smeared some grease on the lense when I tried to clean it for the shot. Oops.

Here's the 690 in dirt trim. :leghump

IkRUH3.jpg

47rTtb.jpg

Thought this was cool. Seeing your 690 reminded me of it.

Attachments

• facebook_1419222781622.jpg
    facebook_1419222781622.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Hah, that's awesome!

OK, so do you have spark?

When you kick the bike is it trying at all to start or is it just nada?

Haven't been home to check spark, only reason I knew about the plug was because I had pulled it to check before I left. I'll be looking at that in an hour or so.

It'll turn over, get three or four pops following the kick and than nothing. When it fired off yesterday it was about four kicks and than braaaapppp. Didn't idle at all so I pulled the carb so I could clean the pilot which was dirty. The rest of the carb was spotless. Everything is connected back up, all two plugs lol.

Last edited:
This is where I am glad that I live on a hill. Bump starting would be a good way to try to get it going. Did you clean the carb and put fresh gas in it before or after you tried unsuccessfully to start it?

Maybe you did what I've done before and failed to put the spark plug boot back on far enough. Derp.

We put fresh gas in it before I bought it, make sure it ran. Which it did. I tried bump starting it, first time it compression locked the rear tire, second time only one or two small pops and no start.

Hmmmm, sounds like it wants to run, but isn't quite there. No need to check for spark if it is getting a few pops before dying out. I assume you've also kicked it with the throttle wide open a few times? Sometimes that helps. Maybe the plug got a little fouled or something.

Try full throttle with and without choke. Might just need to blast some stuff out of there. Otherwise, it might be the pilot jet. Sometimes it is impossible to clean them well enough and you are better off replacing them. Could be somewhere else in the pilot circuit, but I doubt it.

Since I'm in the thread, I may as well post that I swapped to my dirt wheels to get ready for a Baja shakedown ride some time very soon. Sorry about the blurry phone pics. I think I smeared some grease on the lense when I tried to clean it for the shot. Oops.

Here's the 690 in dirt trim. :leghump

IkRUH3.jpg

47rTtb.jpg

Looking great! Jealous! :leghump

It's such a cool scoot. You're welcome to take it for a spin whenever. Still debating whether to go with the narrow rear or the wider rear for Baja.

I checked the plug, it is the incorrect plug for the bike. Should be a BR8EIX and it has a B9EG or something along those lines in it. I'll pick one up from work tomorrow just to be sure.

Cool. Hopefully, that's all there is to it. :thumbup
Keep us posted. If you want me to swing by, drink beer, and point at stuff while you wrench on it, let me know. I don't know where you live, though....

Nice! What oil mix ratio are you going with? I'm kinda new to 2t but it looked pretty rich to me. Was that with the choke on?

I put a 32-1 ratio in and yes with choke, right up until you see me reach over the side of the moto and click off. When the motor warms up the smoke clears up.

Back