• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Got a question for the experienced dirt riders here: when I bought my used '15 YZ250F it had a -1 sprocket on the rear. Prev owner raced it and said he did that to reduce wheelieing out of turns. I'm a dirt noob and ride basically only ride trails at Metcalf/Hollister/Carnegie. I like doing the single track stuff and I know (think) I should go back to the stock gearing. Does that sound right, would you recommend even going to +1 on the rear? I don't think I want to put a flywheel weight on, but I'm open to being convinced if people think I should =) I'm also not interested in more expensive mods like an aftermarket clutch.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to stock gearing (especially if you already have it), but i'm curious why you want to change it. Is it doing something poorly? Something you want it to do that it's not doing now?
(I doubt anybody changes to taller gearing for trail riding)

My YZ250 2T came with a +2 on the back, which makes it so I don't need to clutch so often in the very technical stuff I like to ride. I've never thought much about changing it. If I had the time I wouldn't mind trying the stock gearing, just for a reference point (and a +1. But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go minus).
I wish I had a personal mechanic to do all the things I wanted to try :laughing

Built another rolling stand for dirtbikes out of scrap wood. Really helps to pack more bikes into a smaller space and access them easily. :thumbup

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 39
That's 2 that aren't in our shop anymore :laughing

Finally got valve shims ordered for the showas, have some stacks I want to put in and try to see what the difference is. Been riding the stock stacks (07 CRF) and although better than most of the stock WP stuff I've ridden they aren't as good as they could be. Backed the compression off completely and started to get some really good compliance in the HS circuit, can't wait to dial them in more. The difference was hitting 1-2 ft whoop/chop and getting ready for the bike to seesaw or looking for those same bumps and having fun driving the front into them.

Hoping to run a couple of enduros this year; got my ICO almost set up and once I get the forks more dialed I'm set. Hopefully the D36 schedule won't conflict too much with the trials schedule...

i abused it again out at carnegie,than it abused me a little climbing a steep hill,hahhahahahahahah

I went for a ride to test my new camera, after waiting forever for the snow to melt. The snow did not melt. Well, some of it did, and it made mud. Hero dirt on south facing hills, snow on north faces, and mud on the flats. Good times.

The new camera's video looks great on my computer but we'll see after it's rendered and uploaded to YouTube. What's really great about it is the sound, OMG. Brrrraaaaaap!

I picked up 2 new to us dirty bike will be putting them on the rack this morning.

Rode mine around Cline Butte in Central Oregon with a good crew of guys. Only one broken bike, a cracked case on a KTM 640 Adventure that was arguably too big a bike for what we were riding. But the rider was super talented and was fine until that one fateful tip over that ended up dumping all his oil. 29 degrees at the start! Brrrrrrrrr!

Rode mine around Cline Butte in Central Oregon with a good crew of guys. Only one broken bike, a cracked case on a KTM 640 Adventure that was arguably too big a bike for what we were riding. But the rider was super talented and was fine until that one fateful tip over that ended up dumping all his oil. 29 degrees at the start! Brrrrrrrrr!

JB Weld to the rescue?

Riding with Dmitry? he's the 640 Guru/ whisperer

Riding with Dmitry? he's the 640 Guru/ whisperer

I can't remember his name, but he sounded like a top level mechanic and welder. Said his bike was setup for desert riding and I think he was a Baja veteran. Definitely some great riders with a deep history in the sport!

JB Weld to the rescue?

The JB Weld we found was old and already "welded"! Oil was the biggest missing component. Tow strap to the rescue.

Back