• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I think a fun DS loop could be made with Ballinger Canyon & Carizzo Plain area.

Oh, yes! It's been done :teeth

DualSportin'Chick

:thumbup

Got tracks to share? Mainly to get through Ballinger.

No, I don't use a GPS. Ballinger has a big trail map at the entrance.
We sketched it on a piece of paper and had a ball there. It's an out and back there, but worth it!

OldFashionedChick

This is the best I can do :)

P1030900.jpg

And our "map"…
d734680d.jpg

WoodsChick

Dropped off my clutch basket/primary at a machine shop to mill off the rivets.

Repacked my silencer. Man I hate dealing with it.

That reminds me: I should probably re-pack the silencer on the KDX. What a PITA.

Nice pics, Eldrick. We need to get out and ride together soon. Yeah, the 690 is essentially unscathed by my stupidity. Pretty amazing bike. I just went through it again after work today, and all is well. It's ready for Baja now. :)

Yep, that's for sure. It's been too long since I've been on a thumper. (Baja is going to rock...I'm jealous).

Nice photos, Eldrick! Ballinger has some really fun stuff. Some of those ridge-top trails are pretty hairy with the drop-off's on both sides! :party

WoodsChick

Thanks, I took some video up trail 10/12 along the ridge, I'll link to it once it's posted...crazy stuff, especially for me. You know how much I "love" riding exposure. :laughing (by myself, in an empty riding area...the vultures were circling overhead...)

I've never heard of Ballinger Canyon. Looks pretty spectacular. :thumbup

I hadn't heard of it until I started looking for a day ride close to Santa Barbara. It's pretty cool and turns out I'd even been there before and never knew it.

:thumbup

Got tracks to share? Mainly to get through Ballinger.

Love the hand written notes Woodsy, :thumbup

I do have tracks from this last trip but I'd avoid the ridges on a dual sport. PM your e-mail and I'll send them out. There's alot of easy to moderate terrain for bigger bikes though.

I do have tracks from this last trip but I'd avoid the ridges on a dual sport. PM your e-mail and I'll send them out. There's alot of easy to moderate terrain for bigger bikes though.

Thanks.

Took the xrr out for a little pre-baja shake down and got my stuff all packed and ready to go. Hitting the road tomorrow morning and will be in Baja starting Saturday for a fun adventure with some other Barfers. Woot!

Wow, that came up quick! I'm jelly! You better take lotsa pics.

I think everyone is planning to post pics in the thread going in the adv section. Heading south on 5 now! Crossing the border tomorrow morning!

Got my Barnett basket together and Rekluse Z-Start Pro installed, set up for Medium-Hard. Went to fill it up with the usual 750cc of trans oil and found I have 700cc of Bel-Ray 80W and 200cc of Motul 10W30. Oh well, I'll get some Rotella tomorrow.

Is the clutch lever supposed to be very loose/sloppy on the Z-Start Pro? I recall reading that it felt "dead" until the bike was revved.

Got everything together after changing the pilot jet and checking the main, huge pain in the ass. Tank bolt is stripped. Some asshole was ripping down the street on a loud thumper while I was finishing. I saw him on the power line road behind my house and it was a quadtard. He made more noise climbing the hill. I fired up my bike in driveway, warmed it up, and it would stall in gear. Re-read the Rekluse instructions (RTFM!) and saw the break-in notes for the first time. Did that, no joy. Adjusted the clutch perch full loose and increased the idle speed. Quadtard ripped back down the street.

That's when the sheriff showed up with a pissed off citizen in tow. And there I am, sitting astride my running motorcycle. Deputy did a U-turn and stopped in front of my house. I got my new phone out of my garage (video streaming, yo) and the deputy drove away. Well thankfully somebody can tell a motorcycle from a quad or a 2-stroke from a 4-stroke. I later heard sirens and wondered if they were chasing the quadtard. Fuckin asshole ruining a good thing. All you have to do it putt through the neighborhood all nice like then you can be a hooligan out in the desert.

Upping the idle speed got the Rekluse working so that I could either release the clutch lever without throttle, or just jam into first from neutral without the lever, and it wouldn't stall.

After tuning the air screw for the new pilot, I went for a break-in/test ride. Video is rendering. I was riding around very slow in 2nd and 3rd, testing its climbing abilities. It worked as expected, but it caused me to crash on a hill, the Achilles heel of auto clutches. My footpeg broke, first time that's ever happened. I pirated a footpeg of my supermoto for tomorrow's ride.

IMG_20150124_144018784-XL.jpg
IMG_20150124_144036300-XL.jpg

[youtube]gfzOR2iRCC4[/youtube]

Last edited:
Spent the morning at metcalf watching a special little one ride without his training wheels for the first time, then came home and I looked at my 450 in her new black plastics and new blue rear spring and grips, said I wish I could ride you but I have a date with my wife sitting first row at supercross! Epic night and bumbd for chad, he was off to an amazing start and then got worked. Special thanks to Jeff at Morris Industries, owe you huge bro!

Last edited:
Back