• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Wanted to get on the wifes good side today and in preparation for Stonyford this weekend I changed her oil, new spark plug, lubed her chain (she didn't lube mine lol), installed new grips and new cycra hand guards, cleaned and adjusted the carb, and rode it to cycle gear. I felt like a clown riding one of those wooden toddler bicycles. Good ol plated TTR225, my new grocery getter!

I also found out that this is a 49 state bike that was street legal when new.

Terry, your DE300 was bought new from Smackover Motorsports in Arkansas. It was then shipped to CA from the dealer. It was never plated nor was it ever really street "legal." Yeah, enterprising individuals could get them plated, especially since they came with headlights, and GasGas put the teeny tiny words "For Off-road Use Only" about .3mm from the bottom of the MSO, thereby making it reeeeally easy to cut it off before taking it to the nice, yet totally unaware, lady at DMV. As far as 49-state goes, none of the GG's coming into this country at the time (things might be different now?) had the dreaded 3 or C as the 8th digit of the VIN. GG's headed to CA from Spain actually got a different VIN plate attached before being sold here. The VIN on the steering head stayed the same (unregisterable in CA due to no emissions sticker) but the new CA VIN plate just got glued over the other one. Yeah, try explaining that one to your local CHP inspector guy :rolleyes Sometimes it came in a little baggie with a GG part# and everything, and was left up to the buyer to attach it. Anyway, since your DE300 (and our 2 GG's) came to CA via a dealer in Arkansas it did not have the new CA-specific VIN. This is why it has a green sticker instead of red :thumbup Well, that and a nice DMV lady that had never heard of a GasGas...

Also, www.gasgasrider.org is your friend :)

WoodsChick

Last edited:
Thanks Sid,Aaron, and Tami. I knew the 'knowlegable' would hook me up. Well, it was fun to think about getting a plate on the gasser. The only bummer is that now I HAVE to get the dr going so I have a d-sport. Maybe one of these days I'll get smart and buy one of those orange machines that really 'do-it-all'.
:afm199:ride:party

I washed the dust off my EXC500 the bike was sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks after a great weekend riding loops out of Ridgecrest. Logged over 300 miles in 2 days. I also scrubbed the airbox, installed a new airbox cover and changed the air filter. Now I am an oil change away from riding this weekend. anybody riding?

New Michelin S12XC front tire and fender tube bag. The bag holds a crappy Chinese 21" spare tube and two irons. I put a bead tool and valve tool in the rear fender bag and I've got a pump in my backpack. HD and UHD tubes have served me well over the years but I just can't beat the odds.

Michelin%20S12XC%20front-L.jpg
Tusk%20fender%20tube%20bag-L.jpg

Pro Tip: This Michelin is directional. Pay attention!

Last edited:
Decided to take the xrr to work today to burn up some of the gas from Mexico. Still haven't cleaned it or anything other than a heavy application of wd40 on the chain after I got back. I love this bike!

I stopped by Berk Honda and they can charge the rear shock for $25 so I'll be getting that done next week.

Packed them up for Stonyford! Time to get dirty!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 36
Took some parts off to access the top end to replace the rings and measure clearance. Found my compression tester by accident after weeks of looking. Pulled the plug and freaked out about the yellowish color and deposits. Figured I may be doing the piston in addition to rings.

However, the compression test said otherwise.

compression-XL.jpg

Keep in mind this is above 5,000 ft.

Under another light, farther away from my yellow bike, the plug was tan not yellow. I hate my garage. So I just checked the crank play with a dial indicator and put in a new plug.

At first I was all
beaker.gif

But then I was like
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Ordered 20 L of oil today. Rocky Mountain ATV has the Bel Ray EXS (Full synth ester) 15-50 on close out for $30/4L. This is the one oil that I would consider using on my 690, aside from the Motorex stuff that I have always bought. A lot of folks on the 690 thread on ADV swear by this oil, but I have never bought it since it was only like $10-15 cheaper. $45 cheaper, however, is a bit different. I figure that if I don't like it in the 690 I will just use it in my other bikes. Win-win.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...troke-Motor-Oil-Special-Pricing-?term=bel ray
Should I buy some of that for the WR? They still have plenty of it left, and the price is reasonable. I figure I'll be changing the oil pretty often.

What viscosity does your WR require, Daniel? If it's close, go for it.

Spent the afternoon getting my xr100 ready for my kid to ride tomorrow. New clutch springs, stock shock installed, carb cleaned, oil changed, hand guards and handle bar pad put back on.

It will be his first attempt at riding since he was 6 on a little 50. That went well but we stopped riding because of my work schedule. He is a little nervous about riding the 100 but I think thats a good thing. :)

Right on, Daniel. See you at Carnegie tomorrow. I'll be on my wee little KDX (damn, I love that scoot).

Awesome! See you mañana!

Finally got out for a ride on the KDX. It had been a little while, and I had almost forgotten how awesome this little bike is. Went out with a few friends and had an absolute blast at Carnegie.

JCp9SM.jpg

mQEGZb.jpg

New Parts

First event of the year next weekend at Frank Raines. Got some new parts to install, now if I could just ride better:teeth

picture.php

See a theme there Lunchbox:twofinger

Wish I knew you were at Carnagie would have joined you and let you ride the trials bike.

Back