• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

All cleaned up

16488952249_539d103095_c.jpg

Looking gorgeous, Guoseph. Sure you don't want to keep it?

Congrats Aaron. Lets go get it dirty again!

Yes, we need to do that. I *might* be able to play for a short time tomorrow. What's your schedule look like?

Looking gorgeous, Guoseph. Sure you don't want to keep it?

Oh I do, very much. But I just don't get to do the long dual sport rides this bike deserves. Trying to ride the small bike more, and I've decided to put a new to me (used) SMR 510 engine into the TE510 parts bike and farkle that bike a bit as my next garage project.

How many miles were on it and how toasty were the steering head bearings?

Just under 15K. The steering head bearings were in pretty good shape, but I am essentially stripping it down and rebuilding it from the frame up. It's been such a great bike, I want to make sure that it continues to be great for a long time to come. :thumbup

I bought a generic ASV C5 clutch perch/lever/hot start assembly on ebay, it showed up earlier this week. It's silver, not my first choice but the price was right.

I went to install it today and found that it hits the backside of the lightswitch. I guess I need to choose between figuring out a better option for the switchgear and re-selling the perch...

Nice scoot! Good on you for going through her thoroughly before flogging. That can prevent a lot of heartache when buying a used bike.
Agreed.

Rule #1 of buying a used bike, you never believe what the seller said :afm199

Got to be willing and capable of going through everything yourself. I was lucky though, bought from an old guy that wrote everything on a little notebook since the bike was brand new. Dated and all. Had every paper and instructions of everything he'd changed on the bike. From the enduro computer to the radiator guards. He should have asked $2000 more for the bike to be honest. That's why i jumped on it so fast.

Agreed.

Rule #1 of buying a used bike, you never believe what the seller said

Yup! Couldn't agree more. Number one lie is "never been crashed." Always gives me a good chuckle when I see that one. Or, "oh it has a salvage title, but that's just because it was stolen and recovered."

"It ran awesome last time I rode it." I always get a laugh from that one. Sure but that doesnt mean $hit after its been rotting in your shed/oven for the last X years.

When I bought my cr250 it was like that. The guy got embarrassed and went back inside his house as the fork seals gave out when I was strapping the bike down. And that last ride must have been great with the rear shock assembled wrong too. Luckily I new I was putting different forks on it anyway, plus a full tear down, etc, and the deal was right even with blown fork seals and other issues.

Last edited:
:laughing

Also: I used to view "mechanic owned" as a positive thing. That was before I knew several mechanics. Most mechanics, it seems, will do whatever it takes to keep the bike working, but rarely seem to fix things correctly. Now I run when I see "mechanic owned" in a for sale ad. :laughing

It seems like things get fixed in a hurry when they want to sell and it's usually wrong or just hacked together, especially in electrical. When I buy a used bike I look at their garage and look at their organization and cleanliness and that gives me an idea of what I might be getting into.

It seems like things get fixed in a hurry when they want to sell and it's usually wrong or just hacked together, especially in electrical. When I buy a used bike I look at their garage and look at their organization and cleanliness and that gives me an idea of what I might be getting into.

I wont try to sell you any bikes in the future then. :rofl

My garage says CHAOS!!! but man all the bikes ran great the last time I rode them.

+1
My garage is a complete mess. That said, the moto stuff and tools are well-organized. I take good care of my scoots, and they take good care of me. It's a good thing. :)

Got some work done on the cr250. Hadn't ridden it since Nov at Stonyford when the chain came off at the bottom of trail 21 in a creek. Scrubbed the old chain clean and lubed it up and i think its good for a few more rides. Need to re weld my kickstand bracket because it was cracked. Next time I'm taking the swing arm off so I can really get in there and attach it better.

Fired right up so I'm calling it good to go for Stonyford at the end of the month. Probably should get it out to Carnagie before then too.

Daniel, let me know when you are hitting Carnegie. Hopefully, I will be able to join you. I have brand new tires on the KDX and am anxious to break them in. :)

Same here, I would like to get out there too. I want toride this bike as much as I can before Stoneyford.

Last edited:
Same here, I would like to get out there too. I wantride this bike as much as I can before Stoneyford. Tuesday, after work, I'm heading over to Metcalf around 2:45pm for 2 hours if anyone wants to join.

I'll keep you guys posted about carnagie. Maybe next weekend. Mark let us know how it goes with the cr. Have you ridden a 2t before? Pretty different beast from the xr650l. Mine has taken some getting used to as a trail bike.

I called Metcalf after my post and they said they are closed on Tuesday and Wednesday so that's out. I called Hollister Hills and they said they would be open until 5:00 pm so I may head down there. I'm not sure if I want to deal with the commute traffic on the way home, but I will probably go.

I haven't really ridden a 2 stroke before so there is deffinately going to be a learning curve, but it won't take long. The power is great, I really like how if you want it now you got it. This bike is fun, it really is hard to keep the front wheel on the ground. It's definately different then my XR, the power delivery is so much more abrupt and it significantly lighter. This bike is going to make single track a lot more fun.

Finally replaced the original seat cover('01), headlight plastic.
Hopefully I can get a few rides before damaging them.
Wild Piglet FE this weekend. You should all go do this. ��

Put some new Zeta handguards on. The left handguard had seen too many crashes, incl a street crash, and was bent. Positioned like the previous guards, it's no wonder the R one failed to protect my hand/wrist.

IMG_0003-L.jpg

So I'm rotating the MC upward to allow the guard to rotate upward and I will learn to live with a new lever position.

I ordered- Chain, sprockets, grips, tubes, tires, brakes, and oil filters X2

Back