• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I was talking to my buddy about dual sporting out there and then heading out by Bowman Lake for some moto camping...maybe a little summer barf thing is in order?

That would be cool. We camped up there for an entire month mapping the formations/stratigraphy for my advanced field geology class. Great times hiking up Quartz hill every day.

Yeah when ever we have gotten that site we had to book it well in advance. Its an awesome spot though.

I didn't know you had to reserve a spot. I thought it was first come, first serve.

That would be cool. We camped up there for an entire month mapping the formations/stratigraphy for my advanced field geology class. Great times hiking up Quartz hill every day.

I didn't know you had to reserve a spot. I thought it was first come, first serve.

I'm not sure if you have to reserve the group site but I know that you can. It normally books up very quickly. A friend of mine tries to get it each year for his bday. His significant other handles the reservation and she is very organized and on it and sometime it still gets booked up immediatly once the dates open up. I'm not sure about regular camping up there as I've only stayed at the group site.

The group camps need to be reserved and I don't think they have 'regular' camp sites, but there are other places close by. There's a campground along side a creek just before Faucherie (Canyon Creek Campground?) that looked pretty nice and there's another at the east end of Bowman which looked okay, but I could see it being a crawler beerfest.

Rode my XR400 to the check point at the Sawmill Enduro yesterday - Trail 11 at Cow Mt.

four get-off's in about three miles..

Broke both rear turn signals (they were getting replaced anway)
Bent foot peg - kick start would not return so I had to bang it a bit with my boot heel.
Bent foot brake lever it's stuck folded in, but still operational.
Might have tweeked the forks a little or bent the handle bars.. Need to check today.
Thank god I had proper bark busters..
Still running great..

Way to break that thing in properly, Michael. Glad you're OK and that the bike is relatively unhurt. Dirt bikes sure do crash well. :laughing

Wow awesome Michael. Glad you're enjoying that bike! :thumbup

OK, you "plated" guys runs some shitty knobs! :laughing. I guess that's the compromise you make when you can go down the road, but i wonder if a couple of your 4 get offs would have been avoided with some real knobbies. The WR I just bought had the stock tires, they looked like that and were sorry excuse for dirt tires. Some new Starcross and the butt clenches way less !

:thumbup

Rode my XR400 to the check point at the Sawmill Enduro yesterday - Trail 11 at Cow Mt.

four get-off's in about three miles..

Broke both rear turn signals (they were getting replaced anway)
Bent foot peg - kick start would not return so I had to bang it a bit with my boot heel.
Bent foot brake lever it's stuck folded in, but still operational.
Might have tweeked the forks a little or bent the handle bars.. Need to check today.
Thank god I had proper bark busters..
Still running great..

Nice job Michael! :thumbup :laughing Dirt bikes are fun to crash!

If you dont go the route of flushmount blinkers, the Emgo Honda blinker knock offs tend to crash very well with their rubbery body necks (and cheap to boot). They arent bling, but I havent broken one yet on my XR.

I doubt you tweaked the forks. Probably just "twisted" in the triples. Dirtbike trick number 1. Dont over torque things like the triples, hand gaurds, and lever perches. Allows them to move when you do crash versus break. Convinced that once you throw it on a stand and loosen up your triples and axel it will all go back to straight with a few twists and bounces. Let me know if you want a hand this week.

What tire pressure were you running in the Kenda's? I find if I drop them down into the 12lb range they almost act like a trials tire. Same tire I've run in Baja the last two years and will run in this years Sheet Iron. Knobbies are obviously better, but the Kenda's work for what they are. I may try their Parker up front next.

What did you think of the MxHauler?

When you are up for it, you can use my place up north as a base for exploring Cow, Upper Lake, and Stony! :ride

OK, you "plated" guys runs some shitty knobs! :laughing. I guess that's the compromise you make when you can go down the road, but i wonder if a couple of your 4 get offs would have been avoided with some real knobbies.

I got's a fresh set of knobbies, but didn't have time to get them mounted up before we left.. :thumbdown The guys I was with at the check point from the club told me that it probably wouldn't make that much difference with traction, but I'd like to think it would. I should have aired down more too..

Nice job Michael! :thumbup :laughing Dirt bikes are fun to crash!

If you dont go the route of flushmount blinkers, the Emgo Honda blinker knock offs tend to crash very well with their rubbery body necks (and cheap to boot). They arent bling, but I havent broken one yet on my XR.

I doubt you tweaked the forks. Probably just "twisted" in the triples. Dirtbike trick number 1. Dont over torque things like the triples, hand gaurds, and lever perches. Allows them to move when you do crash versus break. Convinced that once you throw it on a stand and loosen up your triples and axel it will all go back to straight with a few twists and bounces. Let me know if you want a hand this week.

What tire pressure were you running in the Kenda's? I find if I drop them down into the 12lb range they almost act like a trials tire. Same tire I've run in Baja the last two years and will run in this years Sheet Iron. Knobbies are obviously better, but the Kenda's work for what they are. I may try their Parker up front next.

What did you think of the MxHauler?

When you are up for it, you can use my place up north as a base for exploring Cow, Upper Lake, and Stony! :ride

CJ - I needed to air down more.. I forgot my pressure gauge and just aired down by feel.. I didn't want to air down too much because I was worried about a pinch flat.

I agree about the tweaked forks. I'll just loosen the triple clamps and put it right.

Your MX Hauler is the BOMB.. Looking for a used one. Thanks for the loaner.

I got's a fresh set of knobbies, but didn't have time to get them mounted up before we left.. :thumbdown The guys I was with at the check point from the club told me that it probably wouldn't make that much difference with traction, but I'd like to think it would. I should have aired down more too..

I'd agree with them and you. Aired down, they will do fine in the hard pack during the dry season at a trail ride pace.

Glad you liked the Mx Hauler, very convenient. I bought mine used as well, though it needs a little repair and attention after a number of seasons. :thumbup

For spring through fall hardpack, those tires are fine. Air down to 13 psi. Tall knobs don't help except for loose and deep soil, including mud and sand.

For spring through fall hardpack, those tires are fine. Air down to 13 psi. Tall knobs don't help except for loose and deep soil, including mud and sand.

Thanks for all the good input people.. Checked my air yesterday and found it at 21 rear 19 front.. WAY TO HIGH for trail riding.. next time I'll air down properly and likely avoid all the front tire washouts, and the rear slippage.

Washed it yesterday, fixed the bent brake lever, started the turn signal re-do.

Last edited:
Played with the carby on my cr125 yesterday. I'm trying to dial out the spooge coming out of my pipe.

Burning_urination.jpg

Played with the carby on my cr125 yesterday. I'm trying to dial out the spooge coming out of my pipe.

Might wanna see a doctor about that, man. :wtf

Ahahaha!

Wil, what year is it? If it has a Mikuni, it's probably never going to be crisp, but you can try the jd jet kit as the needle is supposed to be much better than stock. If you find that you're jetting in circles, you might consider replacing the crank seals. Also, if you have something like an fmf turbine core, or pro circuit equivalent, it may always splooge a little.

Back