• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I rode my friend Drew's 300 smoker with an autoclutch a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. We'll see how I like it on the big bike.

That's the first bike I've ever had with one in it (have ridden others' bikes just not my own). Had to change the engagement point lower, Drew had it set too high for my liking. After using it a while I pulled it and it's in a box. It worked fine and I guess I could get used to it but there was one thing that made me pull it: Freewheel down hill. You can't bump start with one and when you're trying to wrestle the bike down after a failed hill climb having the rear freewheel makes it much harder. None of my other bikes have one and I'll never put them on (way too much money with 4 bikes) so I got rid of the errant data point....
Lots of people love them but I prefer the old way.

That's the first bike I've ever had with one in it (have ridden others' bikes just not my own). Had to change the engagement point lower, Drew had it set too high for my liking. After using it a while I pulled it and it's in a box. It worked fine and I guess I could get used to it but there was one thing that made me pull it: Freewheel down hill. You can't bump start with one and when you're trying to wrestle the bike down after a failed hill climb having the rear freewheel makes it much harder. None of my other bikes have one and I'll never put them on (way too much money with 4 bikes) so I got rid of the errant data point....
Lots of people love them but I prefer the old way.

The one for the 690 can be manually adjusted to allow for bump starting in a pinch. Since it has a magic button, I can't see the need to bump it unless there is a battery/charging system issue. How are you liking that 300? I REALLY wanted to buy it when he was talking about getting rid of it. He offered me a great price, too, but the timing was off. If you ever sell it, let me know. :)

I bought a '14 a few months after I got that '07 so it's been sitting more than it should. I put Showa forks on it and re-sprung it for my weight, that's about it. The '14 is just better in the motor and frame so that's where I've been spending my ride time. Always good to have a 300 2t with a plate though.....

Hopefully, your rekluse is a set it and forget it situation. Does it have the adjustable slave cylinder....that's the only thing I wish I had. Pulling it apart after a few rides to readjust gets old. Other than that it kicks major ass and with a lhrb its like cheating...I can go so much faster and smoother.... Especially on tight right hand turns in switchbacks.

Yuppers, comes with an adjustable slave cylinder.

I'm going to make sure I like the autoclutch before I convert to a lhrb. I bet I'll like it, though. I also bet that I can build a LHRB for a lot less money than they charge for the conversion kit.

BD kit was at my door when I got home yesterday. :D

r8ENpL8l.jpg

O1RA8aWl.jpg

Last edited:
BD?

ButtDick?
Big-ass Damper?
Bird Droppings?
Bad Dingus?

Yuppers, comes with an adjustable slave cylinder.

I'm going to make sure I like the autoclutch before I convert to a lhrb. I bet I'll like it, though. I also bet that I can build a LHRB for a lot less money than they charge for the conversion kit.

Find a steep up hill of chunky rock...it'll make you a believer. My bike hardly ever freewheels downhill and if for some reason it does its second nature to roll the throttle enough to lock it up.
My rear brake setup I bought off some guy up north....basically a MTB lever and hose setup to a machined fitting that drops into the brembo master. It drops the pressure outlet below the sight glass so it doesn't blow out. I have both hand and foot controls retained. The only time I use the clutch is starting the bike....neutral safety switch, which I used a cr80 front brake master flipped to the left side and regent the lever for thumb action.

Well re installing the topend on the cr was a fail. I was fighting the rings putting the cylinder on and once it slid in the piston got stuck.....look inside and I guess the rings moved on the pins and were sticking out the intake port. I was able to pull the rings out, but did scratch the piston a little. Sanded the burr smooth and I guess I'll order some new rings and try again.....power valve was working well at least.:twofinger

Q a steep up hill of chunky rock...it'll make you a believer. My bike hardly ever freewheels downhill and if for some reason it does its second nature to roll the throttle enough to lock it up.
My rear brake setup I bought off some guy up north....basically a MTB lever and hose setup to a machined fitting that drops into the brembo master. It drops the pressure outlet below the sight glass so it doesn't blow out. I have both hand and foot controls retained. The only time I use the clutch is starting the bike....neutral safety switch, which I used a cr80 front brake master flipped to the left side and regent the lever for thumb action.

If you get a chance would you mind posting a picture or a sketch of the part that goes in the rear master? I have a bunch of MTB brakes laying around..

Installed the auto clutch on my 690 last night. Will do a bit of testing tomorrow, and a bit of dirt on Saturday in preparation for the Sheetiron. Hope I like it!

No new seat cover, though... :laughing

Last edited:
Congrats Aaron. How was the install? Do you replace the entire clutch assembly?

Congrats Aaron. How was the install? Do you replace the entire clutch assembly?

The install was pretty straight forward. Yeah, it's a whole new clutch pack, as well as a new clutch slave cylinder. Took about an hour to install, another 15 minutes or so to adjust, and a few minutes of break-in.

I'm working from home tomorrow and might have to run an errand or three on the bike to see how I like the clutch. I'm going to Carnegie on Saturday morning for a little bit. I want to get at least 20-30 miles on it to make sure that I trust it for the Sheetiron.

Anyone else up for a bit of morning riding at Carnegie on Saturday?

Back