• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Put a 52 tooth sprocket on the XC-W.

Domokos2.jpg

OEM is 50T, it was kind of gappy. 52T is a pretty common mod for this bike.

Went for my first ride on my YZ since I broke my wrist! Gonna post pics in Moto Photos...

A few months off the bike and the acceleration is like, whoa. (My dirt bike makes twice as much torque as my street bike.)

Took the RM out with a buddy and his new to him KX250F for a pretty relaxed ride down by the river. Had been a month at least since I brought her out to play

9H3KMDi.jpg

Rode Elkins Flat on Saturday.

52T sprocket was an improvement but I'm still getting used to the 250 tranny and added weight. Seems like I have to work harder to get it up into the powerband than I did with my old 200. That 200 sure was perfect for the woods. Loved that bike. I bought the 250 because it was a great deal, but if I had to choose, I would have gone with another 200. Hopefully I can adapt my riding style to the 250.

Back out to the river today, lots of fun :teeth Buddy brought his KX125 out on the dirt for the first time, got it a little wet but rode it back to the truck after some work

kxOr4qH.jpg

d8fQA3h.jpg

I replaced the ignition control box (CDI) on my XR650L. The bike fired right up so I think I finally solved my staring issues. I'll be going on a night ride on Skyline tonight, in a few hours, to see how it's working.

I looked at it. It's still in pieces with a big box O parts underneath waiting for instalation :|

I replaced the ignition control box (CDI) on my XR650L. The bike fired right up so I think I finally solved my staring issues. I'll be going on a night ride on Skyline tonight, in a few hours, to see how it's working.

Was there any sand riding on your night ride? :cool

No pictures yet, but flogged it for 3 hours at the Golden Spike Hare Scramble in Packwood Washington.

Epic street section.

Finished rebuilding my 2000 CR125! Fresh new cylinder, new crank, new piston, all new gaskets, bearings and water pump rebuild, new tires, fresh rebuilt forks and solid bath! She is up for sale as I need more room in the garage for a different toy!

NRM3XBG.jpg

Replaced two sprocket bolts as they had broken loose and fell off while at Hollister yesterday. Swore I used locktite.... maybe not?

Some things you can't just use loctite, you have to fastidiously clean and dry both fasteners, don't touch them with your fingers, use the correct compound loctite, then perform the ritual incantations.

I put a catch tank on the exhaust valve vent hose of the KX295 spooge monster.

Rode Foresthill trail 6 out to the Western States Trail on Saturday and had an awesome time, except I wish I had lower gearing as my clutch received a major workout. Has anyone ridden the WST before? We made it to the abandoned cabin and then went out the dirt road until it came to a tee and turned around. Anyone know how far you can go on a motorbike? Can you go all the way to Squaw, or are bikes not allowed somewhere before that? Would definitely make for a killer hardcore barf dirty ride.

Rode Foresthill trail 6 out to the Western States Trail on Saturday and had an awesome time, except I wish I had lower gearing as my clutch received a major workout. Has anyone ridden the WST before? We made it to the abandoned cabin and then went out the dirt road until it came to a tee and turned around. Anyone know how far you can go on a motorbike? Can you go all the way to Squaw, or are bikes not allowed somewhere before that? Would definitely make for a killer hardcore barf dirty ride.

Any chance you were a 2 KTM team leaving around 12pm? I was just heading out...

If so, wondering how difficult you found trail 6...(I think you said you were heading counter-clockwise).

Last edited:
I was on a white crf450 and my buddy was on a klx300, but we did see two ktm dudes on smokers at the staging area in the morning. Later we came up on a 4-man ktm crew out of truckee.

For this trip we went clockwise just because that gets you to the western states trail faster, otherwise I think I prefer to go counter clockwise, especially in the summer so you're not up on that exposed ridge at the end of the ride trying to get up those crummy rocks. Trail 6 in general would just be an intermediate trail if not for a few sections. If going clockwise, I think the only hard part is the previously mentioned rocky ridge section. If going counter-clockwise, I think the only hard parts are the rocky climb out of the first bridge (which can actually be really easy if you manage to get on top in the middle) and the switchbacks that I think are after the second bridge. On trail 6, I think you can get by with less skill if you simply have good energy and don't mind lifting your bike. It's the beginner/intermediate guys who are beat after 25 miles that will have a bad day, imo.

In the past I have staged to started on the WST, ride all of trail 6 and then back out the WST to the truck. It is a great ride! The only issue we have had is the time they were having a trail run and there was about 100 people on it as we were making our way over to trail 6. We just went really slow and gave the right of way to the runners. Not a lot of the runners were aware that portions of the WST are designated for OHV.

I agree with Byke's assessment of trail 6 difficulty. I personally find some of the trails at Stoney much harder.

Over the weekend I mounted some new rubber on the KTM and started breaking down a Cannondale x440s to part out.

Where do you stage for the WST? Somewhere around Michigan Bluff? I'd like to stage some gas at Lyon Peak, which I think is the end of the motorbike section, and then ride from China Wall to Lyon Peak and back. Would be about 80-90mi, which I've never come close to before on a dirt ride.

Back