• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I've seen it a couple times buying used bikes. I think it's the oem grease, that's the only time I've found tan grease on a dirt bike. Check out the steering bearings in the near future, they may need a cleaning and regreasing too. Have fun at Carnegie!

Really unless they're all rusted and pitted, run 'em. If they're shiny and as long as the sides of the cage is still at 90 degrees, they're good to go.

steering stem/head bearings were done earlier this year when I changed fork oil. But probably time to do it again.

The bearings and the inner pivots are all shiny round and no perceivable pits.

I just looked up some pictures for the replacement bearings and it appears that could really be a plastic/nylon cage.

like this one: http://www.pivotworks.com/ProductInfo.aspx?item_id=52431
Y-BE-002.jpg

Sometimes they're captured, more commonly the big ones in the swingarm, but I've never seen them captured with anything but metal.

Broke my front fender in half at carnegie on sat... so looks like ill finally be repairing/getting new radiator and getting a white plastic kit for my crf450r

Got mine really muddy today! Did the Knoxville/Reif Rd ride with cabrito cwanger2000 lunchbox and anytwowilldo. Great day!

snapped a 3 jaw puller trying to get the flywheel off of what I think is a snapped crank on the R1. Off to NAPA tomorrow for what I hope is some hot warranty exchange action

I had the best time so far on dirt yesterday at Carnegie. Never been there in such good conditions.I fell down more than usual, but all at very slow speeds and just laughed it off.

Too bad some of the trails in the east side was fenced off. But that also made me go on some other trails that I was previously scared to go on and gave me a good confidence boost and started to feel like ," nothing is as bad as it looks" :)....I can't help but think , this confidence boost will bite me in the ass later... lol

snapped a 3 jaw puller trying to get the flywheel off of what I think is a snapped crank on the R1. Off to NAPA tomorrow for what I hope is some hot warranty exchange action

Check to see if fly wheel is screwed on, saw that on a CR 500, just a thought

I spent some quality time with my pressure washer trying to get all the muddy clay crap off my bike after riding around with 1962siia88, cwanger2000, lunchbox, and anytwowilldo. Great day indeed!

How do you like those?

Well, I only have the one ride on them so far, but a-ok....
I can give a better opinion once I have more time with them.

Following up on Deftone's question about the Tubliss system.

I have 30hr/525mi on them now and I think they are freakin' great.

I have been riding the Sedona 907 tire at 5-6 psi and it performs excellent.

I was at about 7 psi in the front, but I didn't like the squishy feel. Then a wise man said to me 'hey, knucklehead, you don't have to have the front tire pressure super low to reap the benefits of the Tubliss system'. Right, duh. So now I'm at 9-10 psi on a Bstone M59 up front.

The system hasn't given me any problems at all. I use a bicycle floor pump to make sure the red inner bladder is at about 105 psi before each ride, and the tires themselves usually don't lose any air. And I still enjoy the fact that I don't have to carry axle wrenches, tire irons, and a spare tube with me on trail rides.

Following up on Deftone's question about the Tubliss system.

I have 30hr/525mi on them now and I think they are freakin' great.

I have been riding the Sedona 907 tire at 5-6 psi and it performs excellent.

I was at about 7 psi in the front, but I didn't like the squishy feel. Then a wise man said to me 'hey, knucklehead, you don't have to have the front tire pressure super low to reap the benefits of the Tubliss system'. Right, duh. So now I'm at 9-10 psi on a Bstone M59 up front.

The system hasn't given me any problems at all. I use a bicycle floor pump to make sure the red inner bladder is at about 105 psi before each ride, and the tires themselves usually don't lose any air. And I still enjoy the fact that I don't have to carry axle wrenches, tire irons, and a spare tube with me on trail rides.

I'm still a little unclear about the purpose of those things. There is still air in the tire, yes? You said 9-10 lbs. What happens if you get a puncture? You say that you don't carry tools for tube change, and...so...but...I don't get it. :laughing

Is there a thread about this already?

Oh, and today I did one of my normal, insane, super detail cleanings on the WR. When I was in baja, we found some mud that turned into acidic concrete. I got most of it off right away, but there was some deep areas that I missed. Today was tank, panels, fenders off and 2+good hours of cleaning with the music on loud.

This is a clear sign that I need to go for a ride.:laughing But damn it, its still a bit too wet!! The other side of this is, having my bike this clean is a sure way to get it dirty again! :party

Still like 5-6" of snow here and I'm freezing my arse off. It hasn't been getting above mid-30's, it's bogus. I wonder if Mammoth Bar would make for a quick fix? Heck, I'd even go to Prairie City just to see what 50 degrees feels like.

Still like 5-6" of snow here and I'm freezing my arse off. It hasn't been getting above mid-30's, it's bogus. I wonder if Mammoth Bar would make for a quick fix? Heck, I'd even go to Prairie City just to see what 50 degrees feels like.

I've never ridden anything but the flat track at PC. I've been told its a bit like Metcalf. You see the whole thing in an hour. Not to say I wouldn't try it. What ya thinkin? You been there?

Last edited:
Prairie City is one of those lame places you can have fun at with the right mindset. I've got to think Metcalf is better, but the little mx track is pretty fun, better than Mammoth Bar, imo. The 'trails' though....yikes. I'm down for it. I highly doubt you'd have a bad time, you just have to burn into your brain that it's awful, then you...might...be pleasantly surprised. :laughing

Hell, I'm down for a spin. Knock the cobwebs off...

Of course I would have to put my bike back together.

:laughing

It'll be good practice for the harescramble you're going to race with me there on the 17th. :)

Back