• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I'm still a little unclear about the purpose of those things. There is still air in the tire, yes? You said 9-10 lbs. What happens if you get a puncture? You say that you don't carry tools for tube change, and...so...but...I don't get it. :laughing

Shit, sorry, I totally missed this post with these questions.

Tharkûn pretty much hit all the points just above.

Yes, there is still air in the tires, it's a pneumatic system.

The purpose, is that there are multiple benefits over a standard tube. The main benefit being you can run any tire pressure you want, even down to 0psi, and not worry about pinch flats. The high pressure inner bladder (100-110psi) which creates the seal, also acts as a 360 degree rim lock. So even with no pressure in the tire, it can't move on the rim, or break the bead. The high pressure inner bladder also stands taller than the edge of the rim, this allows it to also act a bumper, protecting your rim from impact damage at low tire psi. The inner bladder clamping on the inside of the tire's bead, also provides it with some structural support. So the tire doesn't feel like a squishy mess even at very low pressure, especially if you choose a tire with a stiff sidewall.

Another benefit, as far as I'm concerned, is that I don't have to carry a spare tube, axle wrench, and tire irons.

I actually just experienced my first puncture this past weekend. The first thing to realize is that a puncture is not a devastating event like with a tube. My puncture was on the front. I could tell it had gone flat, but I just kept riding, and at the same pace as before, for another 5 minutes or so until the group stopped. I could tell it was flat because it didn't want to lean over as easily or track through the corner. I just compensated by steering with the throttle more; it barely slowed me down. Because the tire can't move on the rim, and the rim is protected from impact, you really wouldn't even have to fix a flat if you didn't want to. You could just keep riding. But, I carry the sticky-rope-type tubeless puncture repair kit. The best thing about a puncture with Tubliss is that you don't have to remove the wheel. I just pumped it up a little until I could hear the air coming out, found the puncture, shoved a sticky-rope in the hole, and it was fine for the rest of the ride.

I have been running tubliss on my bike for a while now. Great system! I usually run the rear around 6psi and have never had a traction issue.
In case of puncture I carry one of those rope type plug kits and a co2 inflator. The good thing is, as thedub mentioned, you can ride it with 0 pressure in the tire at a pretty good pace without doing any damage.

Yep, I'm running Tubliss on my plated 2t with a DOT knobby on it. At about 4 psi that thing hooks up better than some of my sole purpose bikes, unreal how well it works. Biggest complaint I've read is about catastrophic failure leaving you screwed. Time will tell on that one, for "out there" rides I'll still carry a tube to be able to limp home.

You guys are piquing my interest, but what about rim damage? Sometimes you just gotta bomb stuff and it seems like that 4-6psi would eat rims?

Had a few drops coming out the coolant telltale hole, so I changed the water side waterpump seal before going to Prairie City last weekend and just drained the tranny fluid...strawberry milkshake. Howeverrrrrr, and I know this will seem funny for PC, but I drowned the bike worse than I've ever drowned it. Stalled in a deep puddle and couldn't keep it upright. So, I'm letting it drain overnight and I'll change it again after I ride it this weekend. No significant coolant loss. I smelled it a couple times when stopped and idling, but she's always been a bit of puker.

You guys are piquing my interest, but what about rim damage? Sometimes you just gotta bomb stuff and it seems like that 4-6psi would eat rims?

The high pressure inner bladder protects the rim because it stands taller than the edge of the rim, inside the tire. Here is what the inner bladder itself looks like installed on the rim, without the tire.
Obviously, if you bash something hard enough, at the right angle, you can still damage the rim, just like you can with a traditional tube running 15 psi. But the low pressure isn't a concern regarding killing your wheels.

Right on. Is it just the red piece for sealing around the spokes, or are there other pieces to the kit?

The way it works is by creating a seal against the inside of the tire's bead. So the only tube-less airtight chamber being created is inside the tire. It doesn't have to seal against the spoke nipples or rim.

The red inner liner honestly looks just like a thick road bicycle tire with no tread. It's job is to seal against the inside of the tires bead, creating the airtite, low pressure chamber that will fill the tire. Inside the red inner liner is the high pressure bladder. It's just a super thick, narrow inner tube. It provides the pressure for the red liner to do it's job. Also there is rim tape to protect the high pressure inner bladder from the spoke nipples. So you end up with two valve stems, the inner bladder which is 100-110 psi, and low pressure side, that you use to set your tire pressure.

Super cool, didn't know that's how it sealed. Gonna have to try it someday.

Not sure...wanna do some track stuff?

Lemme call georgetown, see if they're open. What track you talking about? Prairie city?

Last edited:
I do like the little PC track, but the rest of the area isn't the best. As it dries out, I'll probably switch over to moto instead of trails cause I'm a dust sissy. Was thinking maybe the big PC track, but lemme know what you hear from GT.

I do like the little PC track, but the rest of the area isn't the best. As it dries out, I'll probably switch over to moto instead of trails cause I'm a dust sissy. Was thinking maybe the big PC track, but lemme know what you hear from GT.

Weekend filled in with stuff as usual, how you feel about weekday ride?

Weekday might be cool. How about a little Mammoth Bar tomorrow?

Byke you don't really NEED tubliss in front as much as the rear. The main benefit is running stupid low pressure which you don't want to do up front. So you could try the rear first, I still have my front on the shelf actually. Btw it doesn't have a lifespan either so it pays for itself after two tubes

Thanks, I was kind of wondering about the front. Was also wondering if you really need a rim lock anymore? With the tubliss system pushing the bead into the rim, I'm thinking you might not.

So you could try the rear first, I still have my front on the shelf actually. Btw it doesn't have a lifespan either so it pays for itself after two tubes

I've considered this as well.

But out here in the desert we only run the ultra heavy duty tubes. I haven't weighed, but I think the tubliss set-up is lighter than a UHD tube, so I put it in the front too.

Weekday might be cool. How about a little Mammoth Bar tomorrow?

I've got some friends meeting at the cabin I've been building out in GV this afternoon. Wifey wants to go.

Right on. Did you bring mini-bikes? Met Scotty out at Mammoth Bar and had a good time. I really like that little track. Bought a season pass to the state parks, only need to hit MB four more times to break even. :p At the end of the day Scotty lost it up one of the hillclimbs and launched his bike. It came down sideways and took quite a hit to the front wheel, popped two spokes, bent the rim enough for the tire to touch the fork guard, and of course the forks were all twisted. Good times!

I changed the oil and fork seal as well as adding a skid plate to the CR today. This is the second fork seal I've had to replace, but I think it's from using the MSR brand. I installed an OEM seal and wiper this time around so hopefully it holds up.

It's been a little but since I've done fork seals, but companies like MSR used to pre-install a little ring of grease around the inside and I blew a few of those until I started cleaning it off. Fork seals need to go on dry. What year is your cr250?

Back