• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Its a 2000. Both times I did the seals I lubed them with the fork oil I was using in the tube. Any seal I have ever installed, moto or truck, that have a lip like on fork seals I always lube them with whatever fluid it wil be holding back.

Last edited:
Mmmm, nice, 2000 is probably the best year. With lubing the seal, if you could mimic the exact line where it goes from wet to dry when in use, that would be ok. But, it's impossible to do that so all you do is provide a spot for dirt to collect where the seal is supposed to be dry. Ultimately, whatever works for you is all that really matters, I just know that however I do it, they don't blow right away when I install them dry.

That does make sense, thanks for the suggestion. Next time I have to get in there for a leaking seal Ill deffinately give that go. Thinking about it, these seals are different the way they have to work bcause the tube is going in and out rather than a rotating shaft.

Washed, changed tranny fluid, checked Rekluse gap, changed air filter, removed skid plate and enlarged drain hole, adjusted skewed handguards, cut off neoprene fork seal guards, cleaned fork seals with Seal Saver.

Ordered new chain and sprockets.

That does make sense, thanks for the suggestion. Next time I have to get in there for a leaking seal Ill deffinately give that go. Thinking about it, these seals are different the way they have to work bcause the tube is going in and out rather than a rotating shaft.

It's also possible for them to blow right away in situations that are outside of your control, like if you ride in that super fine powder/silt/dust stuff, it'll eat seals on the first ride of a brand new bike. Once I rode Argyll and let the bike sit unwashed for a week and rode Argyll again, then both seals blew. Never blew seals after riding Argyll before, so was it from not washing it? No idea, it's tough to truly figure out the actual cause of leaks. I mostly just guess and then spout nonsense on the interwebs. :p

I know you kid, but I've only done that a few times and it was just to load up the night before a ride (Moonrocks being one of them). My buddy leaves his bike cinched down in his van 24/7. Surprised the springs aren't down an inch or more by now.

Installed a set of rox risers and flexx bars on the xrr. I couldn't resist giving the bars a try when a pair appeared on cl for the right price. Also needed the bars up a little higher than they were for long periods of standing. Ran out of daylight so hope to finish up tomorrow and take it out for a little shake down run.

I'll be curious to hear how you like them. People swear by them, but dat price tag.

I will let you know. I got them with some fast way guards for a little less than half price so couldn't resist. Last year in Baja my right hand could barely grip the bars on a couple days so really hoping these things help with the fatigue on these multiple long day trips. May have to do a long day trip this week sometime.

Hey does anybody know what diameter carb vent hose is? My YZ is ten years old and the lines are brittle. I'm going to change the float level and it would be a good time to put fresh lines on it.

Well I see you mention you cut off the neoprene fork seal guards, did they work out for you?
Well mostly yes. But the plastic OEM guards tore them up and let dirt in. When I went to clean under the neoprene on Monday there was so much dirt/sand I think they were worse than nothing because they let in and trapped the dirt.

I'm trying to remember if I had any seal leaks besides when I crashed on a rock and dinged the fork tube. I don't think so.

I can never remember and end up buying both sizes, but I think it's 1/8".

Just did the carb on my 2001 YZ426. Used tygon tubing off Amazon with 5/32" (.156") ID, fits very snug on the fittings, but works

I've been having some issues starting the bike with the e-start. Starts fine when kicking, but hardly ever fires on the button. Last night I put a Shorai battery in it and it fired up at a touch of the button.

I think i am going to burn some fuel with mine shortly.

Went for a ride:

[youtube]J9YE-yrwoHk[/youtube]

This was after adjusting the idle and air screw, after I had previously set the float height to the minimum. It didn't stall on the downhills like it did the last two rides (since the needle height change). It does feel a little lean at times. It will lighten the front wheel but won't yank a full on wheelie like it used to. By my eyeball it only used .5 gallon of fuel in 2 hours (metered) of riding.

That last ride on Dogskin ridge I was saying, "OK I'm done with the trials tire, I'm getting Tubliss with a knobby." I ran my trials tire for "one last ride." It was amazing. How can I give this up?

Today I'm going to replace the chain and sprockets.

Can't ride this weekend so finally going to get some work done on my bike...

Bent back my very fucked radiator yesterday and ran to make sure there was no leaks.. surprisingly not... Got a full new sets of plastics and graphics to go on them, removed and sent ECM out to get re-mapped to address some of the issues 09 crf450r's have.

Im sure I will also find time to actually give it a good clean since I will have all the plastics off and what not.

Back