• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I measured the sag of my WR450F and got 76mm, too little, so I backed off the preload collar. Re-measured and got even less sag. WTF? Cranked it down past where it started and only got back to 76mm.

The stock spring is a 5.3 kg and I need a 5.8 according to the Race Tech calculator. I guess I'll never get the correct sag with the wrong spring but I thought I would have too much with a soft spring, not too little.

There's a YZ450F shock on Craigslist with a 6.0 spring. Is the damping on those way off from off road?

I measured the sag of my WR450F...

Ummmm....what? You've come to the dark side?? Your suspension words cornfuse me and I can't imagine a stiffer spring giving you more sag, but is your smoker suspension setup for trails? If it's stock, you might not find the YZ450F shock too objectionable. Stock WR's are absurdly soft for me and trail suspension isn't very progressive, it just blows through the stroke. The YZ shock will be way more progressive, so you'll notice an imbalance with the front.

Yardsale; for that to happen you must have a bind somewhere in the rear end. Bad bearings in the swingarm or linkage? What you did with the pre-load collar was correct so something is amiss. Hate to say it but you probably need to pull the spring and run the rear through it's travel to make sure it's moving smoothly. If it is moving well then something in the shock damping system is clogged and not letting it rebound completely. Could be a cracked spring too.

Going to a 6.0 will make the back bounce more than you may like unless you pre-load yourself with water to up the rider weight. I've found those rate calculators to be pretty close in general, normally there is about a 20 lb spread between spring rates (5.3 is good for 165-185 lb rider, targeted at 175lbs).

Last edited:
I sold my 350 xcf-w and picked up this te300! ( not today, but the last weekish)

Attachments

• 20160227_162902.jpg
    20160227_162902.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 68
I measured the sag of my WR450F and got 76mm, too little, so I backed off the preload collar. Re-measured and got even less sag. WTF? Cranked it down past where it started and only got back to 76mm.

The stock spring is a 5.3 kg and I need a 5.8 according to the Race Tech calculator. I guess I'll never get the correct sag with the wrong spring but I thought I would have too much with a soft spring, not too little.

There's a YZ450F shock on Craigslist with a 6.0 spring. Is the damping on those way off from off road?

I dont think the scenario you are describing is possible unless there is something binding in either the shock, linkage, or swing arm pivot. Thats what I would suspect at least. Might not hurt to pull the shock/wheel on the stand and run the swing arm through its travel. The binding might not be noticeable just seat bouncing it with the shock in. I have seen this on WR250F linkage (the bearing holder inside the linkage had completely disintegrated leaving nothing but the roller bearings floating in the cavity). Would randomly bind. Also consider removing the spring from the shock to see if the shock is binding or getting stuck. Just a thought and cost nothing to check.

Alternatively... just back out the preload to finger tight. Measure. Back out by hand so you have an inch of thread between the preload collar and spring showing. Re measure. If it doesnt have more sag then... something is binding.

Last edited:
I'm an idiot. I did not measure race sag correctly. I was measuring the difference between static (bike under its own weight) and laden with rider. What I should have done was measure the difference between unladen (propped up on skid plate with wheel in air, no load on shock) and laden with rider.

I'll see if I can snag that YZ shock with 6.0 spring. It's probably just right for dual sporting with a ton of crap.

I got a bunch of stuff from UPS with more on the way. I really want to ride this thing and I really want to give it a thorough going over. The previous owner said he just adjusted two valves but I'll check them all. I'll change the fork oil but not replace the bushings/seals, and leave the stock springs which are ideal for my weight.

I'm an idiot. I did not measure race sag correctly. I was measuring the difference between static (bike under its own weight) and laden with rider. What I should have done was measure the difference between unladen (propped up on skid plate with wheel in air, no load on shock) and laden with rider.

I'll see if I can snag that YZ shock with 6.0 spring. It's probably just right for dual sporting with a ton of crap.

I got a bunch of stuff from UPS with more on the way. I really want to ride this thing and I really want to give it a thorough going over. The previous owner said he just adjusted two valves but I'll check them all. I'll change the fork oil but not replace the bushings/seals, and leave the stock springs which are ideal for my weight.

:rofl Dont you just love those palm to forehead moments? I think you are looking for 25mm static sage and about 100mm race (rider on bike) sag. If you get the right race sag, but too little static... then a stiffer spring.

I just about electrocuted myself last week with a multi meter trying to fix my dremel. Had my probes plugged in the wrong holes of the meter.... the one to measure amps instead of volts. Melted the probe wires in my hands. :x Yeh, should have just been checking connectivity without any power.... oops

I just about electrocuted myself last week with a multi meter trying to fix my dremel. Had my probes plugged in the wrong holes of the meter.... the one to measure amps instead of volts. Melted the probe wires in my hands. :x Yeh, should have just been checking connectivity without any power.... oops

Oh I recognize you from your YouTube channel!

[youtube]GPHrSDnH6JI[/youtube]

I need to find a damn job so I can overhaul my bike. 270 kit Runs good but I think it's time for a 300 kit, repaint the frame, and some white rims. That's right Coke white rims..... :cool

Edit: I should probably do my seat too since I'm rocking sponge bob duct tape

Last edited:
I need to find a damn job so I can overhaul my bike. 270 kit Runs good but I think it's time for a 300 kit, repaint the frame, and some white rims. That's right Coke white rims..... :cool

Edit: I should probably do my seat too since I'm rocking sponge bob duct tape

You trying out for the wheelie boyz? Will we have to start calling you big chino? :twofinger wait... do not encourage :laughing

You trying out for the wheelie boyz? Will we have to start calling you big chino? :twofinger wait... do not encourage :laughing

honestly ill probably rattle can them :laughing i need new rims soon as mine are pretty banged up and havent been replaced since i bought the bike in 06. damn, its our 10 year anniversary this year. even more of reason to shine er up real perdy like

honestly ill probably rattle can them :laughing i need new rims soon as mine are pretty banged up and havent been replaced since i bought the bike in 06. damn, its our 10 year anniversary this year. even more of reason to shine er up real perdy like

Don't forget to tighten those banjo bolts :eboy (I think that was you last time)

I bought a YZ450F shock with a 6.0 kg spring, for my WR450F, for the price of a new spring. I'll take the stock 5.3 spring off and put it on my YZ250 (4.9 stock), which looks like a broken down horse with me on it.

I saw on YouTube KYB springs can be swapped easily. I thought they required a press. I should still give it to the local suspension guy for an oil change.

So many bikes to work on, so little time.

Tommy! Looks awesome. But the most important two questions, are you coming to Stonybarf6 and will you be bringing some of that magic tequila moonshine? :teeth I still tell stories about that stuff. Frickin FANTASTIC. :party

Wow, I missed that thread, never knew about it until now, and I just took time off for this trip already, and I would love to go! However my pet is recovering from surgery right now, going to visit her at the vet tomorrow, I'm sure my hands will be full with her by the time that trip comes along :/

And as for the tequila, I still have a couple drops left, but I believe my source is going down to mexico soon, but not as soon as that trip!

Went for a ride on my WR450F. I'm trying to remember the last time I rode a 4 stroke dirt bike. I think it was Clear Creek, ca. 2000-2003, a quick test ride on a YZ or WR 426. I hated it.

This thing hides it weight well. I notice it when entering loose turns without a berm, especially when I'm carrying too much speed. Also in 1st and 2nd gear technical stuff like rocks.

The rear suspension is dangerous. It kicks sideways on whoops. The front is plush and quickly blows through the travel.

It's really nice in sand. That may be due in part to the newish Pirelli Scorpion XC front tire.

It has a shocking lack of traction and spins up the rear tire (newish Pirelli MT43 quasi trials) all the time. I'm not sure how much of this is due to crappy shock settings and how much is due to 13 psi. My YZ250 with a worn Shinko has way more traction at any pressure.

It generates a lot of heat and sends it back on my legs. When I got to the top of a technical climb, I noticed it sucked up the few ounces of coolant from the reservoir. (The rad itself was full before leaving.)

The previous owner had the idle set ridiculously high, which was exciting in turns and the slow technical going. On the aforementioned climb the Pirelli hooked up on a rock and launched me off the trail due to the high idle. I found the screw and turned it down.

It really likes just cruising on the two-track and smooth single track at about 40 mph. On the way home I got surprised with some sudden whoops at that speed and the rear didn't kick. I had my ass way back over the seat, maybe that had something to do with it.

It's surprisingly underpowered, especially low to mid. My 250 crushes it everywhere. It seems like it should have more grunt low to mid because it's a trail bike. I'll bet an XR600, maybe an XR400, has better grunt. It does like to rev. I'll check the jetting, but it seems like the PO did all the free mods.

When I got home I changed the oil and filter and added water. What a clusterfuck the oil situation is! I can't get a torque wrench on the right hand drain bolt. I'd like to get hold of some magnetic plugs with safety wire holes.

Sounds like you are not a huge fan of the four stroke. I'm with you on that one. Good to know that you won't likely be changing your screen name to "FourstrokeGarageSale" any time soon. :laughing

Sometimes a high idle is good if switching from 2t to 4t; it lessens the engine braking effect.

With a 250 lb 2t the MT 43 and tubliss was good around 4, I've got a DOT knobbie that is way better at the same pressure. That MT 43 seams too hard to work like a good trials tire, even with the added weight of an enduro. Tubliss and low pressure is a very good thing though.....

Back