• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Funny I didn't even notice the engine braking! I did notice the Rekluse on my YZ is making me lazy and clutch skills are perishable.

Expectation: Heavy, powerful, tractable. Reality: Feels light, weak power., spins up.

Expectation: Mile long wheelies. Reality: Nope.

I gotta do something about the tall seat and lack of steering lock. When I want to make tight, slow turns, I feel like I'm riding this:

pennyfarthing.png

Have I mentioned how F'ing jealous I am that you can plate a proper dirtbike in NV? :twofinger My XR would be gong in a heartbeat if i could do the same.

You bringing the WR to Stonybarf with your YZ?

Expectation: Heavy, powerful, tractable. Reality: Feels light, weak power., spins up.

Weird, I usually experience your expectations when I get back on a 4T. First thing and most noticeable is being able to comfortably climb anything just tractoring while ignoring that left lever. Maybe you really are just getting lazy with that rekluse on the YZ. :laughing

Have I mentioned how F'ing jealous I am that you can plate a proper dirtbike in NV? :twofinger My XR would be gong in a heartbeat if i could do the same.

Weird, I usually experience your expectations when I get back on a 4T. First thing and most noticeable is being able to comfortably climb anything just tractoring while ignoring that left lever. Maybe you really are just getting lazy with that rekluse on the YZ. :laughing

Wait till we're all riding e-bikes. No clutch or lever. Brok said last weekend while riding the Alta, that he kept going for the downshift coming into the corner. Except theres nothing there! I thought that they should put another rear brake lever on the right foot peg, and or on the left bar side. Sell it separate, I would buy if when I have an e-bikes.

Funny I didn't even notice the engine braking! I did notice the Rekluse on my YZ is making me lazy and clutch skills are perishable.

Expectation: Mile long wheelies. Reality: Nope.

I gotta do something about the tall seat and lack of steering lock. When I want to make tight, slow turns, I feel like I'm riding this:

pennyfarthing.png

I have a custom short seat for a yz that came from the original owner. If I make it to stony I can bring it

Searching craigslist and bikefinds, I found all kinds of plated WR450Fs and KLX450Rs. And I wasn't even looking for Hondas or other bikes. Somebody knows how to get green sticker dirt bikes plated in California. They want a pretty penny for them, too.

Nope, it's for riding where I need a plate. I paid for a non-resident sticker for my YZ.

The WR will be coming apart for a thorough cleaning, inspection, lubrication, threadlocking, etc.

I have a custom short seat for a yz that came from the original owner. If I make it to stony I can bring it
I ordered a low comfort seat from Seat Concepts. I think YZ is different from WR anyway, but thanks.

I got a plate for my WR today. Then I went home to do some work on it and it became more of a project than anticipated. I think I'll start a "rescue" thread.

The thing that pissed me off is the hole in the airbox, melted by the pipe.

My 690 might still have a blown motor, but my fancy underseat fuel tank arrived from Europe today.

8YvGfY.jpg

See my WR450F project thread. Before that, I worked on my YZ250. They are so similar.

The YZ250 subframe comes off in a couple minutes.

IMG_0001-L.jpg

Soon thereafter, the swingarm was off. Note to self: get a bigger steel punch.

IMG_0003-L.jpg

I lubed the swingarm bearings and installed the 5.3 kg/m (I hope) spring from my WR450F. I gave it 15mm of preload before installing.

IMG_0002-L.jpg

With the clickers recorded for a baseline, I installed the re-sprung shock.

IMG_0004-L.jpg

Right away I noticed my bike was taller. The under-frame work stand doesn't drag against the frame like it always did and the bike actually leans over on the side stand instead of balancing precariously.

It had 121mm of rider sag and 13mm of static sag. I'm not sure how to deal with those numbers.

Last edited:
Rode some of a Historic trail today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 41
^^Awesome, where did you stage, or enter?

Well the Honda has been hard to start lately and I had to adjust the valves recently and it was really bad this weekend. Of course the gap on both intakes is closed. Pulled the head and cried a little, only 90hrs on it since I last sent the head off to crfsonly for a full rebuild, but really about 80hrs since it started getting fussy. Never hit the limiter and typically clean the filter every ride, two at the most.

^^^How was Stony? And how did you end up over there? :laughing

Hello friend, do you have a few minutes to learn about the love of Yamaha valvetrains?

That's funny, I was just telling my buddy this weekend that when the Honda is partially retired to a buddy/backup bike, it will likely be replaced with a YZ450 because of absurd reliability. Servicing the Honda is a little easier because of the unicam, but the valve life is bogus.

it will likely be replaced with a YZ450 because of absurd reliability. Servicing the Honda is a little easier because of the unicam
See my WR450F project thread for details on valve servicing. Inspection is a piece of cake. Now if you have to adjust, you do have to deal with the twin cams and the shims under buckets.

But I've been following these newfangled four strokes for a while, mostly to shit all over them at any opportunity, and the Yamahas have been bulletproof since the 400s. I wonder if they did anything different with the change to four valve heads.

I had to swing the subframe up for better access to the part I was working on. I backed off the upper bolts a couple turns, unbolted the silencer, took out the bottom bolts and swung it right up. When I re-installed I forgot to tighten the upper bolts back down. I think I did 3 rides with it like that.

No catastrophic failure or anything, but the subframe banging around on those loose bolts kind of mucked up the threads. One side was ok, but the other side didn't really want to get tight anymore. So I got two brand new bolts from the dealer, then chased out the threads with a tap. To make matters worse, none of my tap handles would fit thanks to the frame spar and the shock. So I had to go ghetto on it. It worked out ok, since I wasn't cutting new threads. Right as rain now.

20151210_190918_zpsundzlfse.jpg

Well this didn't turn out to be the perfect fix I was hoping for. I was doing some maintenance yesterday and saw that the subframe bolt that I had previously chased the hole for was completely gone. Threaded a new bolt in and it spun after just a few lb-ft of torque. I guess those threads were beyond saving with a quick chase.
So, I had to go the full meal deal and repair them with a heli-coil. It was actually my first time using a heli-coil and it was really easy and worked perfect. Now I can torque down that bolt just as hard as the other ones.

Back