• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

:laughing
And that is why we go over our bikes on a regular basis. Good catch, Mark. :thumbup

Pissed off the shop manager when I called ktm help desk on them.

Went by 2 hours later after telling them I wouldn't pester them and witnessed the tech. working on the bike.:thumbup

May be ready tomorrow. Already took my bud Jermaine's bike in for an oil change, new front tire/tube in case mine doesn't make it out alive tomorrow. This is going to be a fucking expensive cheap motorcycle trip.

Last edited:
What a PITA, Matt. So, what was the issue with your bike? Do you have an estimated repair price?

2014 350 XCFgraphics and plastics

So I just mounted a complete set of Acerbis plastics and the air box cover fit horrible. Everything is as good as factory, but the air box covers are nearly unusable. I did receive replacements, but they are as bad as the first.

Also, almost received my complete set of graphics from Dirt Digits. Nearly 3 months after the initial purchase and 2 reorders and a last minute over night shipping to get missing pieces from the third kit I got everything except the right upper air box piece.

I wont bother getting the missing piece so I can tell everyone how horrible Dirt Digits customer service is.

Attachments

• 20160602_200522.jpg
    20160602_200522.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 64
He would not tell me anything other than the tech was on the phone for 30 minutes and had a whole page of notes of things to try. Told him to call me by high noon tomorrow so I can plan what to ride. BTW, the newer bikes have less travel Aaron and sit much lower. Feels small compared to my machine. But it runs.

This is my estimate:

Prepping Jermaine's bike - $350
My bike
gauge cluster $400
Ecu reprogram $200
Various shit $175
Labor/no lube $350

Mostly, I just want to avoid having CJ give me endless grief about it if it blows up. :laughing

:twofinger :laughing

BTW, I use these el cheapo hour meters from ebay. $15 shipped. Seem to work every bit as good as the big name branded $50 ones over the past few years.

I've got 75 hrs on my YZ's forged piston (inspected it at 50hrs). It will be replaced at 100hrs this summer.

He would not tell me anything other than the tech was on the phone for 30 minutes and had a whole page of notes of things to try. Told him to call me by high noon tomorrow so I can plan what to ride. BTW, the newer bikes have less travel Aaron and sit much lower. Feels small compared to my machine. But it runs.

This is my estimate:

Prepping Jermaine's bike - $350
My bike
gauge cluster $400
Ecu reprogram $200
Various shit $175
Labor/no lube $350

Matt, looks like you should have opted for the lube. 😀 I hope they figure it out for you quickly.

Problem:
New bike, thin, cheezy skid plate.
wr250f%20002_zpsxtslce0o.jpg

Solution:
Break out the vacuum table and hi-tec vacuum pump, place new skid plate buck in middle..
wr250f%20009_zpsabnj8kmp.jpg

Frame up a piece of 1/4" ABS..
wr250f%20007_zpssjkepicd.jpg

Heat it up to about 300 deg F..
wr250f%20012_zpsfhd5z6xv.jpg

Form it..
wr250f%20013_zpsjr8wb2ha.jpg

wr250f%20015_zpswmehavu4.jpg

Cut to shape & mount it..
wr250f%20028_zpsqwbvmrzi.jpg

More better..
wr250f%20033_zpsayilwo2z.jpg

That is F'ing awesome Dan! Sweet bike too. Lets ride Cow.

Hey CJ,
You guys are going up there next Sat, right?
Lee Ann & I were just talking about hittin' Cow next Sat also.
I'm getting too old to chase you rascals around all day, but I will definitely keep an eye on your beers while your riding....:teeth
We'll probably fart around on nothing harder than 17 etc..

BTW, hit Foresthill last weekend, remember that place?? :ride

Hey CJ,
You guys are going up there next Sat, right?
Lee Ann & I were just talking about hittin' Cow next Sat also.
I'm getting too old to chase you rascals around all day, but I will definitely keep an eye on your beers while your riding....:teeth
We'll probably fart around on nothing harder than 17 etc..

BTW, hit Foresthill last weekend, remember that place?? :ride

Yep, kickstands up at 9am. Would be great to see you and Lee Ann again! Hah... totally remember FH in rain (and Cow Mtn in the rain). It was my second time back in the dirt on the DRZ after a 10yr hiatus from from dirt bikes. I credit the two of you for reigniting my passion for dirt riding. And Lee Ann still makes the best moto lunch sandwiches. :thumbup :teeth

Did I hear a mini barf ride get together at Cow Mountain next Saturday???
Absolutely. It was planned as a small get together for folks considering coming to Baja this winter, but all encouraged to join us. Lets ride! :ride

Great! We will be riding on Friday from Penny Pines to Lake Pillsbury but would love to ride with the group on Saturday.

I pulled the KTM out of the shed and am preparing to lay the TM in there for a good soaking if the swingarm shaft. Then I can replace the crankshaft.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 37
Butch, what you have is a fusion of disimilar metals. The steel swing arm bolt is fused to the magnesium cases. PB blaster soak is good but your going to need heat to break the tension. If you decide you don't want to wait bring it by my place and we'll get you sorted. Hate to see such a great bike languish in the shed.

One of the reasons a boring mainstream bike is kind of nice, you can just sawzall the swingarm and pick up a used one on eBay for $75. But, I think it's like metals that fuse and dissimilar metals that corrode. The apparent effect with disassembly is similar, but fusion is nearly impossible to separate, whereas corrosion can usually be dealt with.

Took the orange bike out for a 100mi ride yesterday and had a killer time. Took this route, which was mostly just rocky/dirt roads, anything like a KLR would have been great. Took a couple offshoots, one of them up to Grouse Ridge to the lookout, but snow at around 7k-ft kept us out towards the end. We made it over a few long sections and did surprisingly well. Normally I get like 20ft in and the tire just sinks until the frame drags, but we crossed several 50-100ft sections and were having a blast. In the pic, we bombed over that and the next one around the corner and several more before it was too much. Fun stuff. Water at Bowman is already swimmable, though it's more of a jump-in-jump-out deal for me because I'm a sissy. I think camp/ride/swim/hike trips are going to be a regular thing out there throughout the summer, it's just a big awesome playground.

nO2aEk5.jpg

Last edited:
Back