• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Thanks to Daniel (1962siia88) and Tom (anytwowilldo), there is finally progress on my 690. I dragged it up to Daniel's house yesterday and we started stripping it down. As Daniel and his amazing wife were kind enough to feed us dinner, we didn't get all that far. Soon, the motor will be out and we'll see exactly what the hell happened in Baja.

Thanks again Daniel and Tom. You guys are the best! :love

Uaii2i.jpg

So while some of you were at the Weaverville Rally, Daniel and I were dropping and disassembling Aaron's 690 motor.:) Thanks to Daniel, we were drinking some beer too.:thumbup In a nutshell, once you figure the 690 out, the motor literally falls right out.

So what do you get when you mix a ham fisted Moto rider and low octane Baja fuel? Heat, lots of it, enough to melt a piston. I'm guessing that heat lead to detonation, which lead to more heat and catastrophic piston failure. What you can't see in the pic is that the entire top compression ring is gone. It was broken up and hammered in the combustion chamber. The crankcase looks very clean and we could not see any evidence of anything getting down there, but we will inspect it thoroughly before reassembly. In any case, with a little love and a handfull of new parts, the 690R will be ready to rip in Baja again.

Attachments

• IMG_5307.JPG
    IMG_5307.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5306.JPG
    IMG_5306.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 51
Whoa! Nice work guys.

Let's just clean that piston up and throw it back in. Looks fine to me. :laughing

Seriously though, you guys are the best. No room for a project in my garage, and Daniel comes through with garage space. Not much time to get up and wrench: Tom and Daniel pull the motor and crack it open. You guys are amazing. I'll make sure that Santa knows how good you both are. :thumbup

With friends like that....life is awesome...nice job T & D.

Hope it goes back together smoothly.

Any way to retard the timing a bit for the baja trip to allow for crap gas?

With friends like that....life is awesome...nice job T & D.

Hope it goes back together smoothly.

Any way to retard the timing a bit for the baja trip to allow for crap gas?

I thought the 690's had a mapping option for crappy gas?

WoodsChick

I believe I was using the "crap gas" map, but maybe I selected the wrong one.

I believe I was using the "crap gas" map, but maybe I selected the wrong one.

Maybe the spelling needs to be changed on the toggle switch from "crap gas"
to "gasolina porqueria?"

BosqueChica

Maybe the spelling needs to be changed on the toggle switch from "crap gas"
to "gasolina porqueria?"

BosqueChica

:laughing
Could be.

So, here is my opportunity to go with a big bore kit. You know, because the 690 needs more power. :laughing (Yes, I am kidding)

I shaved the piston down on my old Husky 510 per a Scott Summers tip

"The only difference that I'm aware of between the 510 and the 450 is that the 510 has a longer stroke. I chose to ride the 510 this year, simply because I have always liked Open bikes. I'm 42 years old and the 510 has more power than I felt I could use effectively, so Gary Gramer at Holeshot Motorsports machined 20-thousandths from the piston dome to reduce the compression ratio. The bike became less of a drag racer and more of a tractor. I believe this mod is responsible for other positive effects that were not so easily noticed, such as even easier starting, cooler operating temperatures, less wear and perhaps even better gas mileage."

My direct experience was that it made for a cooler running, easier to start, smoother engine. Still had plenty of power. Maybe something to research/consider with the 690?

I shaved the piston down on my old Husky 510 per a Scott Summers tip

"The only difference that I'm aware of between the 510 and the 450 is that the 510 has a longer stroke. I chose to ride the 510 this year, simply because I have always liked Open bikes. I'm 42 years old and the 510 has more power than I felt I could use effectively, so Gary Gramer at Holeshot Motorsports machined 20-thousandths from the piston dome to reduce the compression ratio. The bike became less of a drag racer and more of a tractor. I believe this mod is responsible for other positive effects that were not so easily noticed, such as even easier starting, cooler operating temperatures, less wear and perhaps even better gas mileage."

My direct experience was that it made for a cooler running, easier to start, smoother engine. Still had plenty of power. Maybe something to research/consider with the 690?

I like that idea, Scott. I've often said that a DR650 motor in the 690 would be pretty close to ideal for me. I don't give a crap about power, but I am a big fan of good brakes, suspension, and frame geometry.

Norcalslowpoke;9527926 quoting Scott Summers said:
the 510 has more power than I felt I could use effectively
When an off-road legend, demi-god actually, detunes his bike, it makes you wonder what you are doing seeking more power from your own bike.

When an off-road legend, demi-god actually, detunes his bike, it makes you wonder what you are doing seeking more power from your own bike.

Not in the least. I haven't modified a bike for more power in quite a few years. Brakes and suspension are my focal points. If a DR650/KLR/DRZ etc had the chassis/brakes/suspension of a 690 Enduro, I would have bought one.

I would definitely be open to lowering my compression a little bit to improve reliability. Hell yes! :thumbup

Not in the least. I haven't modified a bike for more power

I would definitely be open to lowering my compression a little bit to improve reliability. Hell yes! :thumbup

It's way cheaper too put a larger cyl gasket in than shave a piston.
And your counter weight won't cause vibes!!!

It's way cheaper too put a larger cyl gasket in than shave a piston.
And your counter weight won't cause vibes!!!

Funny, I was just looking into thicker gasket availability for just that reason. Not finding anything yet, but I bet I can make something that would work.

So hadn't heard anything from millennium about my cylinder so I called them. They never received it! I lost the usps receipt with my tracking number but the lady at the Crockett post office was able to find the transaction for me and we saw that my cylinder made it to Bell Gardens, Ca before it went missing. Hoping they can find it there and get it off to millennium. Fargh!

Wow not much action on this thread. I ordered another cylinder on ebay this morning for the cr250. I'm giving up on ever seeing my old one again. Just be warned that the Bell Gardens USPS sorting facility is the postal service equivalent of the Bermuda Triangle or a black hole. It's well documented and even has its own 1.5 star Yelp page with many many stories like mine of lost packages. Pretty unbelievable. Either way I'm out $350 but my bike will be ready for Moab in October.

If you are shipping usps ground I'd ask if it's going through this facility before letting go of the package. Hopefully the one being shipped to me isn't going through there. Wish me luck!

Back