• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Do you lie a lot, or something?

XS5LK.gif

I just got off the phone with Millennium. Sounds like I really did a number on the motor in Baja this year. Bent valve stems, damaged valve guides, fairly extensive head repair required, in addition to some welding and replating on the jug. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right? :laughing

Sounds like I should have it back in 2-3 weeks, depending on availability of the parts. New Pro-X piston has been sourced, as well. :thumbup

There was no easy way to lower compression, but the guy did say that he STRONGLY recommends octane booster when riding a bike like that in Baja. I suspect that he is correct.

...Bent valve stems, damaged valve guides, fairly extensive head repair required...

Oh noooo.... How much? Would an Ebay complete head be cheaper maybe (seems the going rate is about $300 for a complete used head with valves)?

Last edited:
$300 would definitely be cheaper, but then I wouldn't know what the condition was. I've been burned on ebay a few times. I would much rather pay a bit more and have something that I know is good.

i don't remember what the octane rating was in Baja but that booster sounds like good insurance. Glad they are getting it handled for you Aaron.

If I had been smart enough to use a booster I might not have blown up the motor. Live and learn, I suppose. I am just not used to high performance motors, I guess. :laughing

Hey LB

Maybe talk to the engine guy about slightly shaving the piston as discussed earlier.

Here is that section from Scott Summers on his Husky from a few years back.

"The only difference that I'm aware of between the 510 and the 450 is that the 510 has a longer stroke. I chose to ride the 510 this year, simply because I have always liked Open bikes. I'm 42 years old and the 510 has more power than I felt I could use effectively, so Gary Gramer at Holeshot Motorsports machined 20-thousandths from the piston dome to reduce the compression ratio. The bike became less of a drag racer and more of a tractor. I believe this mod is responsible for other positive effects that were not so easily noticed, such as even easier starting, cooler operating temperatures, less wear and perhaps even better gas mileage."

Sorry for repeating, but seems like an easy way to reduce compression.

Hey LB

Maybe talk to the engine guy about slightly shaving the piston as discussed earlier.

Here is that section from Scott Summers on his Husky from a few years back.

"The only difference that I'm aware of between the 510 and the 450 is that the 510 has a longer stroke. I chose to ride the 510 this year, simply because I have always liked Open bikes. I'm 42 years old and the 510 has more power than I felt I could use effectively, so Gary Gramer at Holeshot Motorsports machined 20-thousandths from the piston dome to reduce the compression ratio. The bike became less of a drag racer and more of a tractor. I believe this mod is responsible for other positive effects that were not so easily noticed, such as even easier starting, cooler operating temperatures, less wear and perhaps even better gas mileage."

Sorry for repeating, but seems like an easy way to reduce compression.
A .20 over cylinder gasket is way cheaper. And easily reversible if you don't get the desirable results..then try a .10 over...

Scott, in our conversation, they convinced me to leave it as-is and use octane booster when in Baja.

buellistic: That was obviously my initial thought. Unfortunately, nobody makes a thicker base gasket for the 690. Cometic doesn't make a base gasket at all.

Scott, in our conversation, they convinced me to leave it as-is and use octane booster when in Baja.

buellistic: That was obviously my initial thought. Unfortunately, nobody makes a thicker base gasket for the 690. Cometic doesn't make a base gasket at all.

:thumbup

For years my subframe has been slightly off - so today I tore into a little and will try to bend it back.

6AE1clPh.jpg

YCuhiwOh.jpg

UWnNYPUh.jpg

Oil and Filter on the XR with a slight hiccup..

This device helps keep things clean while draining.

Works on the oil filter side too!

I had a problem with my Frame drain bolt

Quick trip to the hardware store for a temporary fix

Last edited:
Spent the afternoon wrenching on the cr250. Anytwowilldo is the man for all the help he gave me with this project. We got it all buttoned up and the used cylinder from ebay is good. It fired right up, sounded great, but will need some jetting next. So excited to get this bike back together as its been well over a year since I've ridden it.

Thanks Aaron! Your 690 is next!

Yuppers. I'll be following up with Millennium tomorrow to see how it's going. While I have them on the phone I will also get clarification as to whether they are sourcing the gasket kit or I am.

One down, one to go!

You rock so hard, Tom! :hail

I wasn't completely worthless today. I installed a fresh piston and rings on the KDX, in preparation for Moab.

Old piston, with the head and jug off.

Tx3IrW.jpg

A little carbon build-up, but it still looks pretty good. Probably had a lot of life left in it, but I am NOT going to be the guy who blows up on two trip in the same year. :laughing

TIVeSD.jpg

The head looks brand new.

qyO6Ln.jpg

New piston attached to the rod.

ML7Pj9.jpg

Jug back in place.

Elk8cj.jpg

Proof of life!

[youtube]uvDG_MuFg9w[/youtube]

Last edited:
Looks great Aaron..

Nice Aaron! You're on it!