• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

A bunch good progress going on for Moab. Looking good, Mike, Daniel, and Aaron. :thumbup
I've been giving my KDX much needed love. New fork oil, new trans oil, new sprockets, pipe has been repaired & straightened, air leak at intake manifold fixed, carb clean. Should be good for Moab fun.

I really want to freshen up my suspension. Hopefully, I'll have time to do that.

LUNCH BOX!
Y U NO CLEAN YOUR BIKE FIRST?

YUNO.png

Anyway, I put a Utah non-resident OHV sticker on my left fork, that's what I did to my dirt bike today.

Oil and Filter on the XR with a slight hiccup..

This device helps keep things clean while draining.

Works on the oil filter side too!
Michael, that is AWESOME. Been a while since I have seen something new that I HAVE to HAVE. Suppose I could make something, but is there a product name? :wow

Spent the afternoon wrenching on the cr250. Anytwowilldo is the man for all the help he gave me with this project. We got it all buttoned up and the used cylinder from ebay is good. It fired right up, sounded great, but will need some jetting next. So excited to get this bike back together as its been well over a year since I've ridden it.

:thumbup :applause

You rock so hard, Tom! :hail

I wasn't completely worthless today. I installed a fresh piston and rings on the KDX, in preparation for Moab.
Its like a damn top end party around here. :laughing

All the parts are on my bench, will get mine done this week on the YZ250 for MOAB.

A bunch good progress going on for Moab. Looking good, Mike, Daniel, and Aaron. :thumbup
I've been giving my KDX much needed love. New fork oil, new trans oil, new sprockets, pipe has been repaired & straightened, air leak at intake manifold fixed, carb clean. Should be good for Moab fun.
I love how trips like this gets every motivated! :teeth

Isn't NV a state with reciprocal licensing? Maybe I read it wrong but I think CA, and NV dont need the non resident sticker.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/stateparks/wp-content/uploads/sites/26/2015/02/NROHVstates2012.pdf
This..... do we need to get visitor permits? My YZ250 has a current CA green sticker. Edit.... oooops... just reread the link. We have reciprocity in CA so dont need a non resident sticker. :thumbup

So STOKED for MOAB! :ride

Last edited:
Michael, that is AWESOME. Been a while since I have seen something new that I HAVE to HAVE. Suppose I could make something, but is there a product name? :wow

CJ, It's a Form-A-Funnel Flexible Draining Tool I got mine on amaz*n

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUB57RO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have a few sizes... It's real handy.

Molds into and holds any shape to create a leakproof channel for draining oil or fluid
Thick, pliable nitrile rubber encases a thin layer of alloy to allow thousands of shapings
Highly-compatible nitrile resists common vehicle liquids in temperatures from 0 to 300 degree F
Soft rubber edge forms a seal around filters or drains
Easily wipes clean with most cleaners and degreasers

LUNCH BOX!
Y U NO CLEAN YOUR BIKE FIRST?

YUNO.png

I cleaned the crap out of the motor and all surrounding areas first. The tank wasn't cleaned because I removed it prior to cleaning the engine area. I know better than to open up a dirty motor.

Michael, I just ordered one of those on Amazon. I often use a piece of cardboard, but that is a much more elegant solution. :thumbup

Last edited:
Been doing a ton of work on the KLX140L the last couple weeks.

New clutch discs and stiffer springs. If you ask me it could be stiffer but hopefully it won't slip like before. The KLX only has like 4 springs. Changed my oil too, it was pretty yucky. It only holds like a quart of oil so I think I'd better change it more often. o_O'
0822162303a-XL.jpg

Yuck I had to change the clutch cover gasket too. Took hours looks at all this crud.
0823160003a-XL.jpg

Installed some new Spider grips, my favorites. I get really bad blisters after a lot of riding hopefully this'll help cure it. The old ones were coming apart also. Also a few months back I started making my own shorty levers for the brake and clutch, so I don't have to worry so much about bending or breaking them, plus they fit better under the handguards.
0904162117-XL.jpg

0904162117a-XL.jpg

0904162118-XL.jpg

Finally I installed a Pro Circuit T4 full exhaust system. First time I've bought a name brand exhaust brand new. It was the cheapest full system I could find but it is very nicely crafted =) and sounds more brappy! I fixed the head shield a bit also, doesn't look all bashed in. Look at the difference between the wimpy stock pippe and the T4! It's stainless steel also so it won't rust like the stock one. Hopefully I can squeeze all the HP I can out of this little 140cc engine! I also installed a MSR fender bag. I didn't like it on the front so I put it on the rear fender. Now I don't have to carry the tubes and irons in my trail pack.
0822161710-XL.jpg

0910161254-XL.jpg

See that weed grovwing there I hadn't of touched the KLX in so long it grew onto the bike. I guess the KLX green makes plants grow.
0822161711-XL.jpg

0910161254a-XL.jpg

0910161254b-XL.jpg

0910161255_HDR-XL.jpg

0910161255-XL.jpg

oh yeah it was a while ago but I installed the racetech fork springs I got after stonybarf. Now the bike is fully resprung, I can ride it harder now or sit my ass down more =P

Last edited:
Those are great little bikes! I just missed one for $800 that a kid was selling up here in the foothills. As you might imagine, it sold in seconds.

Also, its a great alternative to the crf150f, of which there are few. I'd bet there are more crfs out there, but less people are aware of the klx.

Hmm interesting I already have these ones:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/839/34456/Risk-Racing-Palm-Protectors

I'll give those a try if these don't work, I'm pretty sure it's my glove though, because when I wear my alpinestar SP2s I don't get blisters, but when I wear my fox dirt paws I get blisters, but the SP2s get warm.

Yeah the KLX140 is a great little bike they recently released the KLX140G also I haven't seen it in person but its got 18/21 wheels on it so it's a fullsize trail bike. So now Kawasaki has got a whole family of KLX140s. I rode the CRF150F and I thought it was a solid bike, one win for the CRF is they're more popular and there's more parts out for it, which is why I had to buy this exhaust new =/

Took the KLX for a shakedown today at Metcalf. ZOMG I am so out of shape I haven't ridden a dirtbike since stonybarf. Time to start doing some kind of physical training =/
0915161439-XL.jpg

I got a new action camera I was testing out at the mini MX track too. The internal microphone totally sucks, its so much better with an external mic. This one is my old Ion Air Pro 2, the comparison vids with the Ion Air Pro 3 are in the description if you go to the actual youtube page. The mini mx track was a lotta fun so was the superlong atv track.
[youtube]sACm8yS_5r4[/youtube]

I was trying some new gear out too. Like these Risk Racing anti blister glove liners. They are kinda annoying to have to wear under the glove because it's a wierd shape, but it feels like you have some thick squishy grips or gel palms. I'm not too sure what to think about them yet but hey I didn't get blisters but I only rode for a couple hours. I'm also realizing riding a mini bike with long legs is disadvantageous for me because I can't properly use my legs to grip the bike. I've been kinda critical about bike ergonomics lately. I'd like to see if maybe I can outfit some steg pegs to the KLX that may sold my problem, my upper body is doing all the work. When I sit down it's fine.
0916160241-XL.jpg

I bought these Klim tactical shorts also. My first Klim gear! Their stuff is so expensive this'll probably be the only but it got really good review. I did have a crash and I sustained no injury so maybe they helped. I was riding on the Snake Trail and there was an off camber turn and the bike just washed out disappeared from under me. It was a bitch getting it off that hill, I just think that if this was a single track on the side of a real hill I'd have lost the bike o_O' The shorts are very comfortable also like a biker short. In fact I can probably use them for mountain biking. The foam padding is suppose to stiffen upon impact. Reason I got them is the pants I have have no hip protection. After busting up my hip twice now I'm critical about hip protection.
0915160144-XL.jpg
0915160139b-XL.jpg

IONX0009.MP4_snapshot_00.22_%5B2016.09.16_05.42.10%5D-XL.jpg

IONX0009.MP4_snapshot_00.23_%5B2016.09.16_05.42.24%5D-XL.jpg

IONX0009.MP4_snapshot_00.23_%5B2016.09.16_05.42.34%5D-XL.jpg

IONX0009.MP4_snapshot_00.29_%5B2016.09.16_05.43.05%5D-XL.jpg

Testing out the suspension log hopping. I still suck at it, not graceful but I can get over it. I managed to kinda pull off a pivot turn log jump too! The new clutch is great and even with the 15% stronger springs I don't notice it any harder to pull the clutch.
IONX0007.MP4_snapshot_05.05_%5B2016.09.16_05.50.55%5D-XL.jpg

IONX0007.MP4_snapshot_05.08_%5B2016.09.16_05.51.18%5D-XL.jpg

IONX0007.MP4_snapshot_04.06_%5B2016.09.16_06.22.26%5D-XL.jpg

IONX0007.MP4_snapshot_04.15_%5B2016.09.16_06.23.01%5D-XL.jpg

IONX0007.MP4_snapshot_04.15_%5B2016.09.16_06.23.15%5D-XL.jpg

IONX0007.MP4_snapshot_04.16_%5B2016.09.16_06.23.26%5D-XL.jpg

And finally I did a burnout when I got home to burn off those tires before I changed em haha. I've never really done a burnout on pavement before. I don't recommend doing it on asphalt as you'll see on this video.
[youtube]MdgaGDs1On0[/youtube]

More shinanigans! Err I was testing my new clutch out.
[youtube]zBRibb1kM9o[/youtube]

Also that exhaust I just installed is nice. It's a little on the loudish side. So now I got what I wanted I think because the bike has more power but.... it's harder to ride now. It definitely has a sense of urgency when you get on the throttle. Kinda scares me going into a turn because I feel like I'm going to launch the bike if I'm not careful. But its got more power everywhere I notice. If I can find a way to soften the the initial throttle response would be nice. It may be the new clutch also. Will just have to adapt and overcome! I notice there is less engine braking on the downhills also.

Also the fender bag I got the rear strap keeps on popping off. Fortunately I never lost it but the rear clips came off a buncha times luckily the front never did. I am thinking of turning it in a dedicated tail bag by bolting it onto the fender then just using the straps to help keep it tight.

Merlin, your videos always crack me up. :laughing

What did I do today? I removed the forks and shock on my KDX for a long overdue servicing. Not having removed the shock on that bike before, it took me awhile to figure out that I needed to remove the header pipe and the dogbone. What a PITA. Shock removal on my 690 is MUCH easier. Gotta love spending 2 hours on something that should take 20 minutes. :laughing

Nice Aaron. I'm going to service my forks before Moab too. Need to get the special tools ordered this weekend. Can't believe how close its getting!

Oil change and wash down on the TTR-125
Oil change, new rear tire tube, new chain on the TTR-50
Oil and filter change, radiator flush, new ignition cover, new grips and wash down on the KX-250F

Also it was the first time starting up the KX since I broke my knee back in March.... the feels.

Can't wait for red season to start.

Ouch broken knee is the suck! Sorry that happend! Oct 1 is comin' up!

Back