• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Ouch broken knee is the suck! Sorry that happend! Oct 1 is comin' up!

Carnegie got me :laughing

I was trying so hard to wolverine my knee and get back out before red sticker ended, but couldn't do it... At least I've been able to take the TTR out a few times over the summer to stay active and get some strength back...

As everyone else going to Moab seems to be throwing in new top ends in their two strokes..... I decided I wasnt going to be left out of the party! :teeth

Had to include a picture of the open engine and dirty frame to make Lunchbox feel better...... and I am fully prepared to hear from twostrokeyardsale about the errors of my ways (and he'd be right). :rofl

Just under a 100 hours on this top end. Not too bad looking IMO. I'm no expert, but nothing jumped out and surprised me when I opened it up. Pretty bad carbon build up.... expected as I tend to lug the bike in a gear or two higher and rarely get more than 1/2 of the throttle opened up. Yep, I am that fast....errr... cough slow. :ride

Interesting that sides of the piston experienced more wear/blow by than either the front or rear. But no damage, gouges, cracks etc in the cylinder. I suspect in another 100 hours it will be time for new plating. I considered throwing new rings in at 50 hours, but compression hadnt really dropped significantly. Again, I ride like the old man i am. :afm199

What do the two stroke reading experts have for insight into my future reading this piston. :teeth

Attachments

• IMG_3331.JPG
    IMG_3331.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3332.JPG
    IMG_3332.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3337.JPG
    IMG_3337.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3339.JPG
    IMG_3339.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 74
Hey now! My engine was nice and clean, unlike that filthy thing in your pic. :twofinger
That is some serious carbon build up on the head. Wow. Mine looked damned near brand new. My piston looked about like yours, but I have no clue how many hours were on that top end, as it didn't have an hour meter when I bought it. I can tell you that the compression is definitely better with the new thimble and rings. I am hoping to get out for a spin on it on Saturday, as long as my forks and shock are done in time. Suspension work is something I have never enjoyed, so I choose to pull off the components and take them in for servicing. If I were unemployed, I would begrudgingly do the freshening-up work myself. :laughing

I mounted a new rear tire (front is fine) and will take a pic when I get the boingy bits back and the bike back together (hoping for Friday).

Hey now! My engine was nice and clean, unlike that filthy thing in your pic. :twofinger
That is some serious carbon build up on the head. Wow. Mine looked damned near brand new. My piston looked about like yours, but I have no clue how many hours were on that top end, as it didn't have an hour meter when I bought it. I can tell you that the compression is definitely better with the new thimble and rings. I am hoping to get out for a spin on it on Saturday, as long as my forks and shock are done in time. Suspension work is something I have never enjoyed, so I choose to pull off the components and take them in for servicing. If I were unemployed, I would begrudgingly do the freshening-up work myself. :laughing

I mounted a new rear tire (front is fine) and will take a pic when I get the boingy bits back and the bike back together (hoping for Friday).

:laughing Like I said.... my dirty bike will make you feel better and direct twostrokeyardsales ire in my direction. :party

I think the head should clean up nice tomorrow am. We shall see. It was pretty oily, but I spent two days putting around with a friend who just had back surgery and wanting ride uber conservatively their first days back in the saddle. MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AAAAAAB

Moab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait. Funny, I bumped into Fred on Sunday. He and his lovely lady had just finished the Half Moon Bay Half Marathon and I was near the finish line, waiting for my wifey to finish. :thumbup

Once I get my suspension back on and the bike buttoned-up, it should be just about good to go. I'm going to ride it this weekend (assuming I have it back together) and will change the case oil before the trip. I wanted to get a day of riding on it before dropping the oil, just to make sure I'm not seeing any metal shavings, etc.

Oil change and wash down on the TTR-125
Oil change, new rear tire tube, new chain on the TTR-50
Oil and filter change, radiator flush, new ignition cover, new grips and wash down on the KX-250F

Also it was the first time starting up the KX since I broke my knee back in March.... the feels.

Can't wait for red season to start.

Green sticker'd here :ride

Another dirty bike opened up!

avHnbUZ.gif

I'm going to have to bring my power washer.

Actually I can bring a 50 hour OEM YZ piston and new gasket set. Not sure if I have rings, though.

Your piston looks like it it was blowing by the rings, which probably should have been replaced earlier. That's why my new schedule is rings at 50h, piston/rings at 100h, repeat. Dark piston top doesn't mean anything for a trail bike; you aren't doing roadrace main jet throttle chops. The important thing is that you can get 100h and your jetting is good for you.

Here was my OEM 50h piston. I guess it had some blow-by, too.

IMG_20151122_132000183-L.jpg

Last edited:
So my power valve isn't operating properly and my guess that I missed a washer on the governor was correct. I had to take off the right side engine cover to inspect the governor assembly and while I was there I measured all the clutch parts. New clutch discs plates and springs getting ordered with the missing washer. Running out of time but should be able to get it all together in time.

Another dirty bike opened up!

avHnbUZ.gif

I'm going to have to bring my power washer.

:laughing I actually have a power washer and had no excuse for opening it up dirty... just lazy and decided when in the shop I needed to git er dun. :teeth Thought of you the whole time! :rofl

Actually I can bring a 50 hour OEM YZ piston and new gasket set. Not sure if I have rings, though.
I have rings, gaskets, seals etc etc sets too... dont think I'll bring them with a fresh top end though. Kinda overkill and like 1962siia bringing a three foot machinist file to Baja two years ago. :twofinger I will be bringing a fresh clutch pack, levers, cables, and tubes. Or perhaps we combine our stores to make a YZ250 only support parts bin. :laughing

Your piston looks like it it was blowing by the rings, which probably should have been replaced earlier. That's why my new schedule is rings at 50h, piston/rings at 100h, repeat. Dark piston top doesn't mean anything for a trail bike; you aren't doing roadrace main jet throttle chops. The important thing is that you can get 100h and your jetting is good for you.
Agree. That is my normal schedule, however this time the compression hadnt dropped at all at 50 hrs and the leakdown result was tight/perfect. It is good to know that my set up combined with riding style is good for a easy/safe 100hrs. Not optimal performance but safe. :thumbup

Here was my OEM 50h piston. I guess it had some blow-by, too.

IMG_20151122_132000183-L.jpg
Looks similar to my 100hr piston. I was surprised by the blow by on the sides of my piston and nearly none on the front or back. I though when cylinders started to oval it was front to back, not side to side. I suspect that some minor cylinder ovalling is the cause of this blow by on my piston. Cylinder perfectly useable now, but will obviously consider replating down the road as I can visibly see more wear on the cylinder side to side too.

MOOOOOOOOOO ab

Last edited:
:laughing I actually have a power washer and had no excuse for opening it up dirty... just lazy and decided when in the shop I needed to git er dun. :teeth Thought of you the whole time! :rofl

I have rings, gaskets, seals etc etc sets too... dont think I'll bring them with a fresh top end though. Kinda overkill and like 1962siia bringing a three foot machinist file to Baja two years ago. :twofinger I will be bringing a fresh clutch pack, levers, cables, and tubes. Or perhaps we combine our stores to make a YZ250 only support parts bin. :laughing

Agree. That is my normal schedule, however this time the compression hadnt dropped at all at 50 hrs and the leakdown result was tight/perfect. It is good to know that my set up combined with riding style is good for a easy/safe 100hrs. Not optimal performance but safe. :thumbup

Looks similar to my 100hr piston. I was surprised by the blow by on the sides of my piston and nearly none on the front or back. I though when cylinders started to oval it was front to back, not side to side. I suspect that some minor cylinder ovalling is the cause of this blow by on my piston. Cylinder perfectly useable now, but will obviously consider replating down the road as I can visibly see more wear on the cylinder side to side too.

MOOOOOOOOOO ab

I believe the front and back are clean because those are the areas that rub on the cylinder walls the most. It looked pretty good to me.

Got the missing washer for the pv governor and installed it. Removed the left fork tube and tore it down. It was super clean inside, I almost drank the fork fluid it looked so good. The guide bushing was the only thing that showed any wear and tear. Replaced the bushings and seals and plan to reassemble today after work and then do the other fork. First time completely tearing down a fork. Pretty straight forward with the correct tools. MOAB!!!!

Nice, Daniel! :thumbup

I took the KDX out for a very brief shakedown run. I had intended to ride more, but the day simply didn't allow for it. The bike performed great, though.

ZWgB7W.jpg

Nice, Daniel! :thumbup

I took the KDX out for a very brief shakedown run. I had intended to ride more, but the day simply didn't allow for it. The bike performed great, though.

ZWgB7W.jpg

Sweet! What tire is that on the rear, Motoz?

It's the "mountain hybrid" and comes in sizes as small as 110/100-18. I liked it on my 690 Enduro, but the bike had a bit too much power to effectively run a trials or semi-trials tire. Those tires do best when they aren't spinning up a lot. If you are a WOT kind of guy, this is not the tire for you. If you like picking your way through tight, technical stuff and want something that grips like crazy, then give it a shot. It is a lot like the MT43, except that it corners a lot better, due to the shape of it.

It's the "mountain hybrid"

I've been running the mountain hybrid for a bit as well, and I'm really liking it. I used it for the 6 hour hollister race and I'm amazed at how well it held up!

That being said MOAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did some bike prep ***cough**maintenance***cough*** today. First I needed to correctly route the clutch hydraulic cable that I botched when I installed the steering damper:
tSkGfh6.jpg

No pics of the fix, but it's fixed now.

Then the front tire needed desperately to be relieved of its responsibilities as all the side knobs were torn:
DXttmtq.jpg

But first I need to do some Moab prevention, time to feed the baby:
mt3JkaZ.jpg

Weird rubber dust all over tube and inside of tire:
XvZgkyD.jpg

Azz3uW6.jpg

Drop the tubes in the trees a little now that Scotts can take care of that high speed instability, looks good to me:
gaBlJQV.jpg

Q0Vf34M.jpg

Then buttoned her back up:
7MuLwxI.jpg

Fred, you do know that my ultimate plan is to kill you, bury the body, and steal your bike, right? Just making sure you're aware. :later

Back