• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

I've been running the mountain hybrid for a bit as well, and I'm really liking it. I used it for the 6 hour hollister race and I'm amazed at how well it held up!

That being said MOAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did some bike prep ***cough**maintenance***cough*** today. First I needed to correctly route the clutch hydraulic cable that I botched when I installed the steering damper:
tSkGfh6.jpg

No pics of the fix, but it's fixed now.

Then the front tire needed desperately to be relieved of its responsibilities as all the side knobs were torn:
DXttmtq.jpg

But first I need to do some Moab prevention, time to feed the baby:
mt3JkaZ.jpg

Weird rubber dust all over tube and inside of tire:
XvZgkyD.jpg

Azz3uW6.jpg

Drop the tubes in the trees a little now that Scotts can take care of that high speed instability, looks good to me:
gaBlJQV.jpg

Q0Vf34M.jpg

Then buttoned her back up:
7MuLwxI.jpg

Looking good Fred. I'm going to mount a MT43 for the first time. I can't wait to see how it hooks.

I believe the rubber dust in the front is part tube and part tire. If you don't have talc or something slippery in the tire, the tire is rubbing on the tube as it moves around. It can actually wear a hole in the tube. I've used talc and spray silicone.

Moab is going to be a blast.

Looking good Fred. I'm going to mount a MT43 for the first time. I can't wait to see how it hooks.

I believe the rubber dust in the front is part tube and part tire. If you don't have talc or something slippery in the tire, the tire is rubbing on the tube as it moves around. It can actually wear a hole in the tube. I've used talc and spray silicone.

Moab is going to be a blast.

Its clearly a KTM design flaw. Fred, I'll offer you 3 hobo dollars to take that bike off your hands. That looks dangerous to ride. :twofinger

And we have already determined from last winters Baja ride that KTMs Kant Take Mexico. Do you really want to take a chance that they Kant Take Moab? As I am concerned for you safety, I'll up my offer to 5 Hobo dollars. :laughing

Anytwowilldo,
If you are mounting a mt43, get an ultra heavy duty tube as they work best at 8-9 psi. Anything thinner is really prone to pinch flats. I also added a second rim lock opposite the stock one. Love the mt in anything but mud.

My bike doesn't put out enough power to worry too much about adding a second rim lock. I'll probably keep my pressures at around 8-10 psi with an ultra heavy duty tube.

Installed the new clutch in the cr250 yesterday. Clutch pull was too hard for my liking so reinstalled the old springs. It wasn't slipping before so I assume they will be fine. Will be getting more fork oil today and will freshen up the other fork leg tonight. Getting close to being ready for MOAB!! WOOT!!

Ordered a tube saddle for the rear tire today. 20% off and free shipping. Some folks might say it's snake oil but my experience on the Xrr was positive so I'll throw $60 at avoiding a pinch flat. Getting close to Moab!

Anytwowilldo,
If you are mounting a mt43, get an ultra heavy duty tube as they work best at 8-9 psi. Anything thinner is really prone to pinch flats. I also added a second rim lock opposite the stock one. Love the mt in anything but mud.

Good advice. I think I have a UHD tube. I hadn't thought about a second rim lock.

Thanks!

Looked at mine in the garage apart and wondered how Aaron was going to build a bike without a gasket.

Looked at mine in the garage apart and wondered how Aaron was going to build a bike without a gasket.

:laughing
Yeah, there are NO aftermarket gasket sets available for the 690s. WTF? I am ordering a complete OEM engine gasket set from Scuderia (they don't make a top end set) today. Should be here in a couple of weeks. :thumbdown

As for what I did, I changed the transmission oil on my KDX, which was the last thing I had to do before Moab. I have some minor handguard mount issues, but they're good enough. Let's ride!!!!! :ride

It's Red Season!!!

Debating if I want to go on day one and deal with the crowd or wait until my day off on Monday.

I Mounted my trials tires, installed my smaller counter sprocket and my front disc guard. I couple more small things and the XR4 is ready for MOAB baby! :thumbup:teeth

Last edited:
Got the cr250 ready for Moab. Forks serviced, new clutch, tube saddle installed in rear tire, jetting process good enough for now, bash plate back on. I may move the flex bars over to this bike if I have time, but good enough as is. Moab!!!

82CD9B3E-1168-4F7B-BB7E-447B1278F706.jpg

Geeked out.
Hooked up the laptop, checked out the throttle body, tune. Tomorrow start putting it together whilst still connected to the computer to make sure everything is good. Do the 15 minute idle tune job and take the bitch for a ride, realizing I was able to do what the KTM shop couldn't. Then went to work for 6.5 hours.

After returning home and seeing the bike apart in the garage, I then laughed as I thought about the spare injector in my parts kit that Aaron will beg for in the middle of nowhere....

Last edited:
Back