• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

Argh, can't believe it wasn't in the box! Something shady going on over there. Honda is out of stock on CR250 cylinders of all years and it looks like they're going to be discontinued, so it would be great to have a spare. Any from 1992-2001 will work as long as you use the corresponding piston.

Then off to little bald mt.
26 miles up soda springs after that left me in the dark
At sugar bowl. A little snow up there. And Cold.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 27
Soda springs love that forest road rode it in the dr last year

Came home to a letter from the usps saying that found my missing cylinder head box at the Bell Gardens postal black hole. The cylinder wasnt in the box but they did find the empty box and now I can tell them what was in it and hope they find it. Sent them pics of the cylinder. Of course I've already replaced it and the bike is up and running, but it would be nice if the usps found my other one so I have a spare. Wish me luck!

I'd be very interested to see the box to determine how it was opened. Was it crushed on a conveyer belt and ripped open or was it opened by a sharp object like a box cutter and where did a chunk of metal the size of a coffee can go? Hopefully you get it back!

I called Haeseker Racing, boxed it up tonight and will ship the motor out tomorrow.

Got a call back today:

Failing crank bearing
3,4,5 gears on input shaft worn
Trans input and output shaft bearings worn
Clutch basket cushions worn
Con rod failing due to crank bearing
Cylinder looks okay

Sounds like I got lucky and stopped early enough to keep the piston from damaging the cylinder. It's gonna cost a pretty penny but at least I'll know the bottom end is sound.

I just removed the trials tire I ran in Moab and mounted a knobbie. I'm trying to make swampy barf. I also pulled the filter skin. Filter skins are awesome. It stopped 90 percent of the dirt and left the Unifilter clean.

Attachments

• IMG_5628.JPG
    IMG_5628.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 20
Went to bleed the front brake and stripped a Phillips/JIS/whatever screw in the MC cover. FML! Got it out with a spring-loaded center punch. Is there nothing else to use besides Phillips screws? There must be socket head (allen head) with that taper in that size.

Went to bleed the front brake and stripped a Phillips/JIS/whatever screw in the MC cover. FML! Got it out with a spring-loaded center punch. Is there nothing else to use besides Phillips screws? There must be socket head (allen head) with that taper in that size.

I've done that a number of times on my XR. I just keep ordering more.

Same thing happened on my 4t, so I bought a bag of 100ea in stainless from McMaster. I figure I'll just throw them away if they look at me funny.

Nothing on the old dirty, but lots of hours editing! My little pony is almost ready!

There are allen head screws for those you'll probably have to go to a specialty fastener shop for them though like mr metric or olander. I remeber I found a set I had lying around for onebof my bikes. You moght be able to get em at a hobby store also loke sheldons hobbies.

Same thing happened on my 4t, so I bought a bag of 100ea in stainless from McMaster. I figure I'll just throw them away if they look at me funny.

Both West Marine and Home Depot (believe it or not) have a selection of metric, stainless fasteners; you may be able to pick a couple up there. McMaster of course, also MSC have plenty of choices and they have a massive distribution hub in Reno.

Try a dab of anti seize on those little buggers, problem solved.

I found some hex head screws a number of years ago and bought a bunch of them. Had I known how many bikes I would go through I would have bought more. :laughing

Failing crank bearing
3,4,5 gears on input shaft worn
Trans input and output shaft bearings worn
Clutch basket cushions worn
Con rod failing due to crank bearing
Cylinder looks okay

Holy crap Msfit, your whole bottom end was going south! Good thing you got it now or the whole tranny would have been toast. Thanks for posting the findings. You may want to look around for a replacement engine (used of course). You may get a new bottom motor for less than the rebuild (but you won't know the condition really). Worth a quick look on flea bay or CL at least.

Last edited:
I changed the oil on the Closed Cartridge forks on the Beta 300. The stock oil is super thick and they're not very good for slow rocky terrain. Went from a 32cst oil to 16cst oil. Problem solved.
Also installed an MX52 up front and a ProTire rear that was sent to me for testing. These things made the bike even better and more fun to ride.

I changed the oil on the Closed Cartridge forks on the Beta 300. The stock oil is super thick and they're not very good for slow rocky terrain. Went from a 32cst oil to 16cst oil. Problem solved.
Also installed an MX52 up front and a ProTire rear that was sent to me for testing. These things made the bike even better and more fun to ride.

What's up with the ProTire? Website looks to be in Spanish. Can you buy them here? What's their deal?

Back