• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

What did you do to your dirty bike today?

What's up with the ProTire? Website looks to be in Spanish. Can you buy them here? What's their deal?

They are based out of Chile and I was sent as couple of them to try out. Mounted the first one, did a ride and it works pretty well in softer terrain.
I might use them next season for Enduros.

And to answer your question: You can't buy them here yet, but that might be a possibility. They'll probably be priced very attractively if it happens.

New chain and sprockets on the KDX today, as well as a new rear brake reservoir (the mounting point was broken on the old one and it was held in place by zip ties for Moab and StonyBARF. :laughing

j3E7Ku.jpg

vg1xit.jpg

I replaced the headset bearings on my XR400. They were the originals and after riding back from Moab in an open trailer in the pouring rain and sitting out at Stonybarf in the rain, they started to get notchy feeling. They were rusting. You can still see the condensation on the stem. The new bearings are in with about 5 times as much grease as Honda used when they built the bike. I also installed a new Maxxis Desert IT while the front wheel was off.

Baja is coming!

Attachments

• IMG_5689.jpg
    IMG_5689.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Nice, Tom! I will be replacing my steering head bearings on the 690 prior to Baja, as well.

I'm taking a lunch break from a top end rebuild and some minor maintenance. I may be just a little OCD about things like hour meters and time on pistons.

IMG_0552-S.jpg

The screws to my steering damper mount were loose. I found one loose at Moab and did a half-ass temporary fix but it needed the tank off to do it right.

The spooge drain screw came out of my silencer which spewed spooge all over my swingarm, caliper, and wheel. I am having bad luck with this silencer lately. I tapped it for a larger screw.

I did a compression test, kicking a cold engine at wide open throttle.

IMG_0554-S.jpg

When this piston was installed, before breaking it in, I did a compression test and took a picture of the same gauge.

YZ250%20compression-M.jpg

And that was at my old place which is a few hundred feet lower in elevation.

But, compression is not the only measure of piston, ring, or cylinder health. I will measure ring end gap and piston clearance when I get it apart.

Last edited:
I lubed the chain and rode it. Then I plugged it in to recharge the battery. Then I unplugged it.
I'll repeat this tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 27
I lubed the chain and rode it. Then I plugged it in to recharge the battery. Then I unplugged it.
I'll repeat this tomorrow.

:love

Eric, I'm sorry to hear about your piston woes. That sucks. :thumbdown

I put a new set of hand guards on the CRF250X, after bashing in the existing ones to the extent that they would interfere with the levers... Then I went to Metcalf to test them out. Sure was fun!

We rode on Sunday, really missing my 125 right now. I expect I'll have it back together by the end of the month.

oFiZnqZh.jpg

Rebuilt my top end for the first time, thanks youtube and Jeff Slaven.

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_1572_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1572_1024.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 28
  • thumb_IMG_1573_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_1573_1024.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 21
I used the Slaven ez clips, and bought the adjustable air screw. I didn't get all fancy with the base gaskets I just used the stock two and four. Chester at KTM recommended I replace the bushings on the Bendix starter gear. He was absolutely correct, I replaced all four, it was pretty easy.

Last edited:
IMG_0561-L.jpg

FYI, one of the 50h ring end gaps on the 100h piston was at max. Piston clearance was .003". I guess I'll keep doing rings at 50h and pistons at 100h.

IMG_0561-L.jpg

FYI, one of the 50h ring end gaps on the 100h piston was at max. Piston clearance was .003". I guess I'll keep doing rings at 50h and pistons at 100h.

Bummer TSYS, that is not going to buff out. Will the supplier take care of you?

Yeah, but more of a hassle than I expected. They wanted pictures. I got on the phone today to get things moving faster, paid for a new piston, they gave me a FedEx return label, and will give me a refund when they get my return.

Anyway, I'm kind of disappointed with my handguards always getting tweaked from minor tip-overs. Last week the left one got tweaked in a little Moab style crash and the right one got tweaked when the wind blew my parked by over in the staging area. johnnymac and byke and I were talking about how crummy the inserts are. I got to the google and found these threaded inserts.

259.jpg

http://www.systemtechracing.com/category_s/259.htm

That ought to survive minor crashes better than the Cycra/Zeta inserts.

41WQe2YO23L._SY300_.jpg

Last edited:
Back