• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

YOUNG RIDER HERE IN NEED OF HELP! :)

Which bike..?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the information from my son. He could certainly be wrong about the actual cause. Or Zach could be in denial... Either way, he's off the street for a while, it appears. Which seems like A Good Thing(TM).

Wheelieing is definitely what a highschooler will brag to his friends about when asked why his bike was impounded :)

But, Los Gatos is a small town, and Los Gatos High a small(ish) school, so it's hard to hide your tomfoolery. I thought y'all would be interested to hear that I have it on good authority the young padawan is now bike-less after getting caught wheeling his R6 down a residential street in town. He even posted a picture of the cop that wrote him up, and impounded the bike, on his Facebook page. :rofl

[youtube]P_zG2AtzOq4[/youtube]

As I said, he was riding without his parents knowledge by using a spare key. No paperwork = impound.

That is not how it works, it would have to be 6 months out of reg, or reported stolen for it to get impounded with "no paperwork". The Officer can always run the plate/VIN to get the current registration information and if it was legit then there is no reason to impound the bike unless the driver is Suspended/Revoked (14601.1 etc) or even if they allow an impound on a unlicensed driver (12500 VC sections).

The most likely reason for a younger rider to get it impounded would be for a 23103/23109 (Reckless/Speed Contest) which would in our parlance include "wheelies" or some other inappropriate riding behavior.

That is not how it works, it would have to be 6 months out of reg, or reported stolen for it to get impounded with "no paperwork". The Officer can always run the plate/VIN to get the current registration information and if it was legit then there is no reason to impound the bike unless the driver is Suspended/Revoked (14601.1 etc) or even if they allow an impound on a unlicensed driver (12500 VC sections).

The most likely reason for a younger rider to get it impounded would be for a 23103/23109 (Reckless/Speed Contest) which would in our parlance include "wheelies" or some other inappropriate riding behavior.

Just going off what he told me and like someone said, not sure why he wouldn't just come out and say it was a wheelie. Possible he wasn't on the insurance?

Just going off what he told me and like someone said, not sure why he wouldn't just come out and say it was a wheelie. Possible he wasn't on the insurance?

Bikes don't get impounded for the rider not being on the insurance, or even registration; so long as the bike is not reported stolen.

Just as an aside most jurisdictions don't even impound on a 12500 VC (unlicensed driver), thanks to political pressure, so the likelihood is that there is something he is omitting from telling you that got the bike impounded.

This thread just keeps on giving :rofl

If he only has a permit (being 15) is the penalty for something like this more severe? I thought that a moving violation with a permit delays getting an actual license.

This thread just keeps on giving :rofl

If he only has a permit (being 15) is the penalty for something like this more severe? I thought that a moving violation with a permit delays getting an actual license.

In the spirit of continuous giving... OP just posted on Facebook that his mothers bike was towed due to being parked in an illegal parking spot. I was actually surprised his parents let him take the 250 out after this incident, they're surely nicer than mine (a speeding ticket in the car delayed getting a "big bike" for 6 months back in my 50cc days).

In the spirit of continuous giving... OP just posted on Facebook that his mothers bike was towed due to being parked in an illegal parking spot. I was actually surprised his parents let him take the 250 out after this incident, they're surely nicer than mine (a speeding ticket in the car delayed getting a "big bike" for 6 months back in my 50cc days).

Is he the one that parked the bike?

We may never know for certain whether the bike was impounded for wheelieing down a residential street. All we have to go on is circumstantial evidence:

i understand the danger and power in these bikes, trust me.

NOW, you may think i dont understand the consequences of messing up on a bike like this but i truly do. theres no way ill be out there in the street without some experience. thanks for everyones 2C though!

Translation: "Unlike most 15 year olds, I have really good impulse control."

Vs.:

05-15-2011, 09:22 PM:
i have to chose between two bikes and i need some help from experienced riders. there are two R6's that i can chose from.

05-15-2011, 10:08 PM (delta 46 min):
okay then my friend, i will take your guys' word for it. i will stick with my moms bike for another 6-9 months. thank you guys! :ride

05-16-2011, 01:47 PM (delta 15 hr and 39 min):
i bought the R6.!

Translation: "Like almost all 15 year olds, I have absolutely no impulse control whatsoever!!!" (at least not when Daddy says "Are you sure you don't want that R6, son? We're payin'.")

Circumstantial or not, I don't think the jury will be out for long on this one.

Zach, if you're still around here, I trust you can see how we're not so convinced by your protestations that you're "in control" and ready for this.

And if you've simply decided that BARF is not the kind of place you want to hang out to learn something or two — and assuming you ultimately do get into riding — remember that it's a small world and these are the same folks you are going to be meeting, and needing help from, along the way.

Sorry I wasn't more clear figured it'd be obvious it was his doing when I mentioned the bit about them letting him take the 250 out again...

Yes he parked it there.

:shocker Kid managed to lose 2 bikes in just a couple of weeks? Someone call the Guiness book people, that has to be a record! This kid is full of win!

As you many have gathered from young Master Khan's appearance and sudden disappearance, he appeared to have decided that BARFers weren't his cup 'o tea and went away. Too bad, really, as he certainly stirred the pot a bit.

But, Los Gatos is a small town, and Los Gatos High a small(ish) school, so it's hard to hide your tomfoolery. I thought y'all would be interested to hear that I have it on good authority the young padawan is now bike-less after getting caught wheeling his R6 down a residential street in town. He even posted a picture of the cop that wrote him up, and impounded the bike, on his Facebook page. :rofl

So, kudos to all of you who recommended the 250. It seems like in this case that would have been the more prudent choice. At least he didn't bury himself in the side of a Prius. :thumbup

:facepalm

Yes, indeed, hallmarks of a rider truly wise and prudent beyond his years. Not a sheep, nossir. Not this one.

Another funny note, when he asked me for advice on wheelies and I told him just give it time and to come ride with me and I'd show him a thing or two he mentioned something along the lines of... "cool thanks man, I just want to learn what LOOKS COOL"

How he managed to not nail the Prius yet sortof blows my mind. I bet he just hasn't had enough seat time yet.

Well better this than someone scrapping him off the side of the road. Can't say I'm surprised. Just very giggly at this outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back