• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

BARF Jam: Saturday, January 14th, 7 p.m.

IN. (duh :laughing)

Bass players represent! There's a 250 watt bass cabinet there for any 4-string (or more) MFers to use.

In!

I have been lurking on the past few barf jams . This time I'll make it:). I'm kinda stuck on the "hair nation" channel on sirius, so any 80s metal song is well within my limit although Metallica, Megadeth, Accept is my cup of tea.

Sweet- glad you can make it! :thumbup

"Every Rose Has its Thorns" FTMFW! :rofl

Dunno if I can play it... but I can sing it... :facepalm

Note to self- practice playing and singing "Shook Me"... yikes, no repeats of that performance...

outfit chosen :party

hey, the 90's called, they want their *** **** back :rofl

An amp's bias is a voltage measured at the tube's control grids. This voltage affects the amount of idle current that flows through the tube. There is variance from one tube to the next in how much idle current results from a particular voltage going to the grids.

If you're replacing power tubes, biasing may be necessary in some amps and not in others. There are three approaches I know of to the bias issue:

• Fixed bias
  • Cathode bias
  • Hard wired bias

Fixed bias amps are common and when you hear of someone having the bias adjusted, they're talking about a "fixed bias" amp. The amp has trim pots that allow you (or a tech) to adjust the amount of grid voltage for a particular tube. If you have an amp with 6L6 tubes, you may get another set with tolerances that are far enough off to require a bias adjustment. If the amp's bias can be adjusted, it should be, as the tube set you get for the amp may have enough variation that the new set you put in doesn't work properly with the bias settings for the old tubes. Incidentally, bias can wander due to vibration as well.

Cathode bias amps usually have a resistor of a fixed value between the tube cathode pin and ground. Current flowing through the resistor produces a voltage. As with fixed bias amps, the voltage regulates the idle current flowing through the tube. If a new tube has different characteristics than the old one, the current from the cathode will be different, resulting in a different voltage out of the resistor, which in turn establishes the correct idle current through the tube. Amps of this type are said to be self biasing.

Hard wired bias is an approach that Randall Smith, founder of Mesa Boogie uses in his amps. Instead of a trim pot, he uses a fixed resistor. The tubes used in Boogies must operate within a narrower specification than you might generally find among tube of a particular type. Mesa sells tubes that they have tested and matched not only to the others within the set, but to the narrower specification as well. Other people also sell tubes that are compatible with Mesa amps' operating specifications.

Of the three types above, Cathode biased and hard wired biased amps are plug and play when it comes to changing tubes. Get a matched set of tubes intended for that amp, clean the tube sockets, plug in the new tubes and start playing. Fixed bias amps need to be re-biased. If you have a volt meter, know what the bias voltage should be and at which points to measure it, you can set the bias yourself. If you don't, have an amp tech do it.

A tube supplier I have had good experiences with is eurotubes.com. They sell tube sets for many common amps and can make up sets for you, if needed. Prompt delivery and good return policy if you happen to receive a bad tube.

^^^Speaking of which, my Egnater Tweaker is on back-order. :rant So I'll still be stuck with that crappy SS Marshall combo. :mad

^^^Speaking of which, my Egnater Tweaker is on back-order. :rant So I'll still be stuck with that crappy SS Marshall combo. :mad

I'll bring the Mark IV and you're welcome to use it or play through my other rig.

Please to drop that AC/DC tune and replace it with "Back in Black." :x

Kthnxbai.

Can't sing that one! :twofinger

But you feel free to cover the vocals on it... :p

I have an Aguilar DB 750 bass amp head, its slowly going out but I'm not serious about playing anymore, left that back in the '80s, so its just part of my sitting around at home entertaining me rig

Ooooo! Can I try out your Mesa?

Sure. :)

I have an Aguilar DB 750 bass amp head, its slowly going out but I'm not serious about playing anymore, left that back in the '80s, so its just part of my sitting around at home entertaining me rig

I'm pretty sure that's a fixed bias amp, meaning it does have trim pots and does need to be biased when you change tubes.

sounds cool! i can play rythm guitar and am tinkering with drums... will let you know if I can make it.

just curious: has anyone ever ridden a motorcycle with a guitar? I've seen softcases [for acoustic guitars] with backpack straps...

sounds cool! i can play rythm guitar and am tinkering with drums... will let you know if I can make it.

just curious: has anyone ever ridden a motorcycle with a guitar? I've seen softcases [for acoustic guitars] with backpack straps...

I hope you can make it. One of my guitars has a gig bag with straps like you describe. I wouldn't choose to ride with it, personally. For one thing, it will likely be cold, and being out in the cold wind won't be good for the instrument.

Sure. :)

I'm pretty sure that's a fixed bias amp, meaning it does have trim pots and does need to be biased when you change tubes.

Sounds $$, especially it being a $2500 amp head...

An amp's bias is a voltage measured at the tube's control grids. This voltage affects the amount of idle current that flows through the tube. There is variance from one tube to the next in how much idle current results from a particular voltage going to the grids.

If you're replacing power tubes, biasing may be necessary in some amps and not in others. There are three approaches I know of to the bias issue:

• Fixed bias
  • Cathode bias
  • Hard wired bias

Fixed bias amps are common and when you hear of someone having the bias adjusted, they're talking about a "fixed bias" amp. The amp has trim pots that allow you (or a tech) to adjust the amount of grid voltage for a particular tube. If you have an amp with 6L6 tubes, you may get another set with tolerances that are far enough off to require a bias adjustment. If the amp's bias can be adjusted, it should be, as the tube set you get for the amp may have enough variation that the new set you put in doesn't work properly with the bias settings for the old tubes. Incidentally, bias can wander due to vibration as well.

Cathode bias amps usually have a resistor of a fixed value between the tube cathode pin and ground. Current flowing through the resistor produces a voltage. As with fixed bias amps, the voltage regulates the idle current flowing through the tube. If a new tube has different characteristics than the old one, the current from the cathode will be different, resulting in a different voltage out of the resistor, which in turn establishes the correct idle current through the tube. Amps of this type are said to be self biasing.

Hard wired bias is an approach that Randall Smith, founder of Mesa Boogie uses in his amps. Instead of a trim pot, he uses a fixed resistor. The tubes used in Boogies must operate within a narrower specification than you might generally find among tube of a particular type. Mesa sells tubes that they have tested and matched not only to the others within the set, but to the narrower specification as well. Other people also sell tubes that are compatible with Mesa amps' operating specifications.

Of the three types above, Cathode biased and hard wired biased amps are plug and play when it comes to changing tubes. Get a matched set of tubes intended for that amp, clean the tube sockets, plug in the new tubes and start playing. Fixed bias amps need to be re-biased. If you have a volt meter, know what the bias voltage should be and at which points to measure it, you can set the bias yourself. If you don't, have an amp tech do it.

A tube supplier I have had good experiences with is eurotubes.com. They sell tube sets for many common amps and can make up sets for you, if needed. Prompt delivery and good return policy if you happen to receive a bad tube.

:thumbup Thanks, I knew you'd have the answer.

I have NO clue wtf you guys are talking about. I am coming strictly to drink some booze, eat some food, socialize, and listen to some rockin' jams. I may bring a hot beverage this time around. Perhaps a thermos (or two) of hot toddies.....

I have NO clue wtf you guys are talking about. I am coming strictly to drink some booze, eat some food, socialize, and listen to some rockin' jams. I may bring a hot beverage this time around. Perhaps a thermos (or two) of hot toddies.....

Haha! I'll do the same with th addition making some serious noise\m/

Sounds $$, especially it being a $2500 amp head...

Now that I've read the manual for that amp, you don't need to worry about bias. Your amp has a tube preamp and a MOSFET power section. No power tubes, no bias adjustment. For the preamp, you would need three 12AX7's and one 12AU7. Relatively inexpensive and very easy to replace yourself. :thumbup

what's with all this rubbish about instruments and music and whatnot :dunno

What *I* want to know is the answer to this very important question

WHAT'S EVERYONE GONNA WEAR :p

:later

what's with all this rubbish about instruments and music and whatnot :dunno

What *I* want to know is the answer to this very important question

WHAT'S EVERYONE GONNA WEAR :p

:later

If I had some "can't touch this stuff" parachute pants I'd wear 'em and dance around :(

Back