• There has been a recent cluster of spammers accessing BARFer accounts and posting spam. To safeguard your account, please consider changing your password. It would be even better to take the additional step of enabling 2 Factor Authentication (2FA) on your BARF account. Read more here.

Fight Your Traffic Ticket In California - Save Loads Of Money - Tutorial

I got a camera red light violation a week ago. It's flippin $480! Not gonna contest since I was guilty of actually doing it, but damn weren't red light violations like $280 a few years ago? Why so high?

I got a camera red light violation a week ago. It's flippin $480! Not gonna contest since I was guilty of actually doing it, but damn weren't red light violations like $280 a few years ago? Why so high?

I got one at the end of September on the job. I'm going to contest it begging December 31st. It was 10:30am on a Saturday morning at 5th and Harrison, there was no traffic!

In SF its $490 Yankee dollars.

Cheers!

Lyle

Last edited:
great post! bookmarked!

CHP - COME AT ME BRO !!! :laughing

:later

Red light cameras are a different story...they are owned by a foreign company that somehow got the contracts with several cities and actually take most of that money for themselves. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...t-camera-executive-pleads-20140910-story.html

There have also been studies that show that those cameras have not actually been improving any safety at those intersections. Some cities in the bay area have already started removing them because of this.

Bruddakahn, I still remember when you first got your R6 and got caught doing some wheelies...did you win those? hehehehe

But seriously, thanks for posting this. It's hard to find the right information on google and it's convenient to have it here on barf :)

Last edited:

I don't know why you would not fight the citation. There are a number of cases that show that the yellow light is shorter than what is required by the MUTCD. Some of the locations are pure revenue generators. I would recommend that you check the timing of the light before you write the check.

Scotty

The post is a general decent guideline on how to handle a case but I would never use most of the declarations. They admit violating the statute at some level under penalty of perjury, e.g., I was going 70 mph in a 65 zone.

The other issue is that by not going to the arraignment one waives their right to demur an issue later. But then again, this is coming from a professional who handles these types of cases on a daily basis.

Lastly, Rel is correct. There is no reason for hating on a LEO for doing his/her job. They are my adversaries in court but even though I go up against them on DUI cases regularly I certainly do not want them to stop pulling drunk drivers off the road. (If they act like jerks, that is a different issue.)

good luck,
Scotty

Last edited:
The post is a general decent guideline on how to handle a case but I would never use most of the declarations. They admit violating the statute at some level under penalty of perjury, e.g., I was going 70 mph in a 65 zone.

The other issue is that by not going to the arraignment one waives their right to demur an issue later. But then again, this is coming from a professional who handles these types of cases on a daily basis.

Lastly, Rel is correct. There is no reason for hating on a LEO for doing his/her job. They are my adversaries in court but even though I go up against them on DUI cases regularly I certainly do not want them to stop pulling drunk drivers off the road. (If they act like jerks, that is a different issue.)

good luck,
Scotty

what about acting like jerks to DUI drivers?

Hi guys, I recently got a ticket near Bakersfield on hwy 5. The officer gave me a citation over exceeding the 70mph speed limit. I thought they always had to verify the speed I was going?

$300 bucks plus traffic school. ... fml

Originally Posted by motopsyco59 View Post
I got one at the end of September on the job. I'm going to contest it begging December 31st. It was 10:30am on a Saturday morning at 5th and Harrison, there was no traffic!

In SF its $490 Yankee dollars.

Why fight it? Is time of day in the law? ie It's OK to run red lights at certain times of day? No.

Scotty

I totally agree with this assessment. Take post #19 for instance...exceeding the speed limit by arguing the basic speed law.

This argument admits that you sped and cites "momentary necessity", yet completely fails to successfully argue, support or meet the 6...count em, 6.... Required elements of necessity defense, including no safe legal alternative....which was not to speed. GUILTY.

These kinds of presentations - while as Scotty said, can be a good general layout of the process -are often written by some guy who beat a ticket or two and now thinks himself the world's authority on law, but lacks actual legal experience, and/ or the degree.

Last edited:
Back